By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why Civilization Wii was canceled: Developers didn't expect wii success

Aj_habfan said:
Even if they didn't see its success coming, do you really want to limit your audience even more with a game like this? Seems like they would need all the sales they can get.

It's not that they wanted to...  It's that the wii version is the furthest from completion and they can't afford to do all versions.  

Around the Network

Developers deserve to be left behind this generation if they couldn't figure out tthe Wii was going to be huge after E3 2006, oh well more money for Nintendo

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Civilization? What game is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(series)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I would agree - out of the planned versions the Wii did have the most question marks. Guarantee they'l come back to it next year though when the Wii's userbase is just too big to ignore.

By then it'll by too late.

Around the Network

That is fucking bullshit.

Civ is one of my favorite games. Wii + Civ would have been perfect. The Wiimote would make it so much easier to play a turn based game like that. It aint gonna sell ish on ps360. Just because its pretty is fucking stupid.

That's it. I'm not buying a Firaxis game until a Wii version comes. ps360 should have been scrapped and full focus should have been on wii/ds as their inputs/controls are better suited for the game.

First of all the Wii version has been put on hold, not cancelled. There is a difference. Secondly it says they are dependent on the success of the others but let's face it, if money is the main importance if it does well on the other platforms it'll go to Wii for more money. if it doesn't do well on the other platforms it'll still go to Wii for cheaper development costs and less risk. It's pretty much going to go to the Wii sooner or later if its about money.

Do you guys think, in addition to the pointer, that motion sensing can be used for commands in RTS games? Maybe flicking my wrist will issue an attack command?

The BuShA owns all!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_(series)
Thank You, it serie have many games, with poor sales, I understand it cancelation

I really don't see a point in playing a such game on any console. Not a big loss for Wii. Not a loss at all I'd say. I doubt that the ps3/360 versions will have a decent quality anyway. But this is just me.