By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Fit will be the highest selling game this generation.

dnnc said:
kitler53 said:
it's a bundled game so you can't count it's sales.

I agree and i also disagree, links crossbow would have sold 10 copies if not for the wii zapper

But "peripherals-(Wii Fit Board)" don't sell systems, games do. and Wii Fit will sell ALOT-O-Wiis

This is so ridiculous. Since when is a game coming with an expensive peripheral an unfair advantage? Doesn't anyone remember the old conventional wisdom about peripherals always failing? Now they're "pack-ins" and they "don't count." Wow.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
dnnc said:
kitler53 said:

I agree and i also disagree, links crossbow would have sold 10 copies if not for the wii zapper

But "peripherals-(Wii Fit Board)" don't sell systems, games do. and Wii Fit will sell ALOT-O-Wiis

This is so ridiculous. Since when is a game coming with an expensive peripheral an unfair advantage? Doesn't anyone remember the old conventional wisdom about peripherals always failing? Now they're "pack-ins" and they "don't count." Wow.

that's a good point but, the wiifit board will be used for other games, such as tony crap hawk and ssxblurry crap.

those type of games could see an increase in sales because of the wiifit board

but also the board will become a hot item to those fans of that genre 

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

dnnc said:
Erik Aston said:
dnnc said:
kitler53 said:

that's a good point but, the wiifit board will be used for other games, such as tony crap hawk and ssxblurry crap.

those type of games could see an increase in sales because of the wiifit board

but also the board will become a hot item to those fans of that genre 

The Board 

my signature went on strike, it's demanding 3% raise

WiiSports will come first, but that's not a very fair comparison given its bundling.

I do think WiiFit will be the top non-bundled game this generation - and it has a real chance of selling 10m units this year alone. Its still doing approx 100k / week in Japan - 2 months after release.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Wii Sport is the best selling game this generation, after Wii play, Wii fit, SSBB, MKWii.

Around the Network

I predict a LOT of people will get a Wii just for Wii Fit, and may never get another game, but then again, Nintendo is using Wii Fit to lure in the masses, so they have plans for getting them to buy more.

But I digress... The real question is will Wii Fit outsell Wii Play (excluding Wii Sports since it's packed it). As I said, a lot of Wii Fit owners won't care about 'traditional' games, and that includes Wii Play, but I can see a lot of them eventually getting Wii Play as well, which means Wii Play will benefit from Wii Fit sales.

It'll be close, but I'd put Wii Play a hair above Wii Fit.

if there is a god, it won't

___O_o______ said:
toke jopic??

Wii Fit does not have the right demographic IMO in places outside japan.
it will sell, but not as good as some of you predict.

Sorry, but it will go far beyond any of the "hardcore" games in sales

I don't think so. It will sell good, but not outsell sports, or even play. Plus, it isn't out in EU and NA and we don't know how it will be received here. So it's a bit too early to predict that.

It has stronger legs than Play and sports in japan, and will likely be as or even more popular here, especially once Oprah and Colbert use it 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

wii sports obviously doesn't count except for the japan sales which are approaching 3 million. wii play doesn't count because its bundled with a controller and is a freakin 10 dollar game. when 4/5ths of what the consumer is purchasing is the controller and they get some little demo game as an add-on for 10 extra dollars that does not count in the same rankings as normal stand alone games.

difference with the wii board is that its actually made for the game. with links crossbow, the zapper is a pointless piece of plastic so they threw in a game and sell it for a budget game price of $25 so that the zapper actually gets out to consumers instead of sitting on store shelves looking like a funky white useless piece of crap. so the game is whats pushing sales of the zapper for the most part except for maybe some sad souls who actually think the zapper is more than a wiimote/nunchunk stand.

so, now that that's settled. ssbb, mario kart, wiifit are all in the running. i would say smg but ssbb and wiifit have already proven that they are gonna destroy smg in japan and i'm guessing mario kart will too. and in the west mario kart and smash bros are as proven as mario. the only question is how well will wiifit do in the west, and i'm guessing its gonna have decent first weeks and then have absolutely huge legs and move on past smg. everyone is assuming that no other games can challenge these 3 or 4 games this gen which is probably correct. but it'll be interesting to see if any unannounced wii games coming out in say '09 might explode and have a shot.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

___O_o______ said:
toke jopic??

Wii Fit does not have the right demographic IMO in places outside japan.
it will sell, but not as good as some of you predict.

obv this is not a joke topic...you disagreeing with OP != joke topic

and Americans eat up abcizers, thighmasters, etc etc so they will eat this up...Wii Fit will sell at least 10mil in US alone in the next 3 years

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp