By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Any advice for first time soldering?

Hey people, i was just here wondering do you have any advice for me because i will be replacing and soldering my Notebook's power jack. its a Eee notebook if you were wondering.

why i plan on doing this because computer shops around where i live want to charge me over a 100$ to replace a 5$ part.

So anyways thanks! I hope at least a few of the VGchartz members have experience in soldering

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

Practice on something else first. It's easy enough to do. Try get some solder wire with flux in it. Makes life easier.

Don't use more heat than you need, and make sure not to use a solder with an acid flux (used for plumbing). ONLY use an acid-free solder. Also invest in some solder wick, to soak up the solder from desoldering. It'll make things a lot easier. Tin your iron first, so you ensure proper soldering and flow. Finally, be careful with your heat.

Thanks guys, also i was considering buying this soldering kit http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-ST-12-Soldering-Tool/dp/B0002LLWZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372530238&sr=8-1&keywords=soldering+kit it looks pretty good also the reviews are high

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Youtube has a real lot of good soldering guides, actually. You should look at some videos.

Around the Network

Invest in a good tip. Always have two types of tips: Chizel tip and pointed.

Also depends if you're doing SMT or leaded soldering.

Before beginning the soldering after the iron is heated up take some solder and just paint around the tip then clean it on the wet sponge to make the tip smooth and shiny. This will make it easier to get contact when you're actually doing the soldering.

Yeah, unplug it first.

anthony64641 said:

Hey people, i was just here wondering do you have any advice for me because i will be replacing and soldering my Notebook's power jack. its a Eee notebook if you were wondering.

why i plan on doing this because computer shops around where i live want to charge me over a 100$ to replace a 5$ part.

So anyways thanks! I hope at least a few of the VGchartz members have experience in soldering

don't try to burn yourself

dc jacks have usually 3 pins, there are two ways to unsolder it, you can either try to heat all 3 pads so that you can pick it up with a tweezer, or you heat up one pad and lift it with a little bit of force, then heat the next pad until its out, if it has 3 pins use the second way as its much easier for first time solderers.
 if it has just 2 pins just heat both pads and take it out.

be careful the dc jack gets very hot

siphillis said:

dc jacks have usually 3 pins, there are two ways to unsolder it, you can either try to heat all 3 pads so that you can pick it up with a tweezer, or you heat up one pad and lift it with a little bit of force, then heat the next pad until its out, if it has 3 pins use the second way as its much easier for first time solderers.
 if it has just 2 pins just heat both pads and take it out.

be careful the dc jack gets very hot

Or you can use solder wick, soak up the melted solder and that way you have a clean hole that after doing each pin falls out. :D

Solder wick is your friend.  Your best friend when desoldering.