By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Will Happen If My 3DS Breaks/Is Lost!? <(T_T<)

Einsam_Delphin said:
KHlover said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Cleary397 said:
You link your eshop with your clubnintendo account, and it registers any downloaded games.
Then when you get your new 3DS you contact Nintendo and tell them and they will sort things out so you can access your downloaded games again.

I heard somewhere that it'll only register digital games right when they're bought, so if that's the case Club Nintendo wouldn't help me much at this point. Hopefully I heard wrong?

No, you are not. Any games you downloaded before you connected your Club Nintendo Account to your 3DS won't be registered. I learned that 3 days ago T_T

Bummer, so I guess getting a Club Nintendo account would be fruitless at this point. =[

You could use it for future titles, but yes - atm it wouldn't do anything.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Viper1 said:

The recepts are very detailed.  A time stamp, transaction ID, Serial number, payment method, amount, zip code of the account and more.

Practically impossible for someone to guess the transaction ID number and serial number and have it perfectly match the time stamp.

Ah I gotcha, but when does this Nintendo ID thing come out? If it's soon I don't think I need to write the receipts down.

Nintendo hasn't said when.  Just some time this year.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Viper1 said:

The recepts are very detailed.  A time stamp, transaction ID, Serial number, payment method, amount, zip code of the account and more.

Practically impossible for someone to guess the transaction ID number and serial number and have it perfectly match the time stamp.

Ah I gotcha, but when does this Nintendo ID thing come out? If it's soon I don't think I need to write the receipts down.

My guess is that it will be introduced in the big summer update. Just imagine it:

- Loading times cut down again

- Unified NNID for 3DS and WiiU, server-based account system

- Miiverse for 3DS

- Introducing minigames in Miiverse

(All these already are confirmed in some form)

- Gamecube titles added to VC

- Access to all VC titles for a $5/month subscription

(These two are wishful thinking)

That update would be so damn awesome!

If your 3DS breaks, send it back to Nintendo and they will either repair it or transfer the data to a new system. That won't really be an issue for you if it happens.

If your 3DS is stolen, your boned. You'll need to file a police report and hope Nintendo reimburses you for the amount you claim. I heard one person claimed $400 in lost software, got $200 back, so you'd probably want to be dishonest here to ensure Nintendo gives you the full amount you lost. It would be smart if you registered everything with your club nintendo account as well.

This is why Nintendo NEEDS a proper, multisystem account system....

KylieDog said:
Viper1 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

@Viper1:

Guess I should get a Club Nintendo account then! And would writing the receipts down really work? Seems like anyone could do that, even if they didn't actually buy the game, but I never really looked at the receipts so maybe they have unique information on them only Nintendo can decipher.

The receipts are very detailed.  A time stamp, transaction ID, Serial number, payment method, amount, zip code of the account and more.

Unless they find the lost 3DS.

1. That wouldn't be guessing though. 

2. Why would someone that found a lost 3DS contact Nintendo for refunds/redownloads?

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Einsam_Delphin said:
Viper1 said:

As of today, there's only 5 months left in the year, so I think I'll be able to stick it out. Thanks for all the help guys! ^_^

Smeags knows everything there pretty much is to know about this subject. I'm sure if you asked him he would lay his ban hammer down for a sec and have a nice chat with you about the evils of losing your lovely 3DS.

miiverse is coming to the 3DS this year, so it shouldnt be long till nintendo ID comes

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

KylieDog said:
Viper1 said:

1. That wouldn't be guessing though. 

2. Why would someone that found a lost 3DS contact Nintendo for refunds/redownloads?

Hijack the account.

The finder would know if they go online it would get deativated, but if it was never registered with Club Nintendo and points were used as payment there is nothing stopping the finder registering the account as their own.

If a debit/credit card was used then maybe going the hassle of digging up old bank statements and forwarding to Nintendo could be used, but if not the person who lost a 3DS is screwed.

Nintendo accounts are pretty terrible for consumer protection right now.

Do you really expect the worst possible situation to occur anytime someone loses a 3DS? 

Do you really think that everything that finds a 3DS will be that nefarious (much less knowledgable of the console to that degree)?