By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I finally bought a DS, what have I been missing?

The last portable I owned was a Game Gear. I always pictured myself as a home cosole type person. But lately as much as I love my Wii I wanted a second console to flesh out my gaming. I looked at the game list for 360, PS3, PSP, DS. The DS won out.

After searching through many stores I finally found one. I have been mega impressed. The screens are very bright and colorful, and the touchpad has worked great so far.

I bought Brain Training, Animal Crossing, and Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime.

All three of these games are fun I will enjoy them for a while.

But I ask the massive braintrust What games have I been missing all these years for GBA and DS.

I am a little burnt out on Mario and Zelda but I will probably get to those eventually. What else should I be looking for? 

My wierd tastes include games like FF7, Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart, Dark Cloud, Monster Rancher, SSX, River City Ransom,  Zack & Wiki, WiiSports

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

Around the Network

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

Given that, here's what's from my GBA and DS list that might interest you (excluding Mario and Zelda titles).

GBA:
FF4A
FF5A
FF6A
River City Ransom EX
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

DS:
FF3DS
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Contact

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Lunar Knights -- sort of a 2-D isometric CastleVania/Metal Gear hybrid (made Kojima Productions).

Contra fucking 4

Trace Memory/Hotel Dusk -- old-style adventure games with sweet uses of DS uniqueness.

The Bleach fighting game, made by Treasure, is really really good.

Both Advance Wars

Elite Beat Agents

New SMB, of course

Contra 4?

Edit: Too Slow and too few words

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network
dschumm said:

The last portable I owned was a Game Gear. I always pictured myself as a home cosole type person. But lately as much as I love my Wii I wanted a second console to flesh out my gaming. I looked at the game list for 360, PS3, PSP, DS. The DS won out.

After searching through many stores I finally found one. I have been mega impressed. The screens are very bright and colorful, and the touchpad has worked great so far.

I bought Brain Training, Animal Crossing, and Dragon Quest Heroes Rocket Slime.

All three of these games are fun I will enjoy them for a while.

But I ask the massive braintrust What games have I been missing all these years for GBA and DS.

I am a little burnt out on Mario and Zelda but I will probably get to those eventually. What else should I be looking for? 

My wierd tastes include games like FF7, Street Fighter 2, Mario Kart, Dark Cloud, Monster Rancher, SSX, River City Ransom,  Zack & Wiki, WiiSports

You cant be burnt out on Mario and Zelda -  NSMB & LOZ-PH are absolute must haves on the DS !!

All, very excellent suggestions. Thanks.

I think a beat-em or fighter will be my next purchase maybe River City Ransom, Contra 4, or Bleach (I love Treasure games)

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

If your into racing games also Race Driver-race and create is a must have and in my opinion one of the most underrated ds games

If you're burnt out on Zelda, Phantom Hourglass won't change your mind, btw.

Your avatar is godlike -- nice to see Starcon remembered!

Advance War without a doupt... it is a must buy.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut