By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Sounds like it, yeah. Will see if its any good. If the latency is bad then its just a marketing bullet point to check off :P Like 8K gaming.

AMD should've had a Reflex alternative by now ready for launch. Them not providing any numbers outside vague ones or non at all for the cards doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Hopefully its vastly better than boost, at the very least lol.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

So here's my thoughts overall.

Positives:
In terms of Raster, there's a good chance 7900XTX will get within 10-15% of 4090 while being much more efficient and cheap.
DP2.1 is something that I was ragging on about for the better part of the year so that's great as well
Having two 8 pin connectors or three 8 pins for AIBs is a win considering how terrible this connector is

Negatives:
Ray Tracing is absolute dogshit, make no mistake
Ai cores... Great but where's the Ai tech? Is FSR 3 going to be powered by their Ai cores similar to DLSS 3?
No Reflex? Like seriously???

Mixed:
Pricing. $900 and $1000. It feels like its one of those things that I should be cheering for but we know why it's priced like that. This isn't a situation where it's like oh, AMD is doing everyone a favor. This is a situation where Radeon is once again, a one trick pony. Nvidia prices their product the way they do is because they give you a next generation experience. Radeon once again however is meant for a last gen experience.

Conclusion:
RDNA 3's best hope is Nvidia not discounting the price of the 4080. If Nvidia sticks with the $1200 price tag, then I think AMD will start to steal some of the customers. If Nvidia discounts the 4080 to say $900 to compete against 7900XT, then AMD is in trouble. The 4090 should be the king in every area overall but it does come at a hefty price.

Bold: I thought HYPER-RX is their answer to Reflex. It should unify boost and anti-lag techs, and the later is what Reflex does, right?

And who cares what's best for RDNA3. What we should care about is us. Therefore, let's hope Nvidia does lower the price of the 4080 and AMD is forced to respond, to start a price war WE will benefit from. It's about damn time!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So here's my thoughts overall.

Positives:
In terms of Raster, there's a good chance 7900XTX will get within 10-15% of 4090 while being much more efficient and cheap.
DP2.1 is something that I was ragging on about for the better part of the year so that's great as well
Having two 8 pin connectors or three 8 pins for AIBs is a win considering how terrible this connector is

Negatives:
Ray Tracing is absolute dogshit, make no mistake
Ai cores... Great but where's the Ai tech? Is FSR 3 going to be powered by their Ai cores similar to DLSS 3?
No Reflex? Like seriously???

Mixed:
Pricing. $900 and $1000. It feels like its one of those things that I should be cheering for but we know why it's priced like that. This isn't a situation where it's like oh, AMD is doing everyone a favor. This is a situation where Radeon is once again, a one trick pony. Nvidia prices their product the way they do is because they give you a next generation experience. Radeon once again however is meant for a last gen experience.

Conclusion:
RDNA 3's best hope is Nvidia not discounting the price of the 4080. If Nvidia sticks with the $1200 price tag, then I think AMD will start to steal some of the customers. If Nvidia discounts the 4080 to say $900 to compete against 7900XT, then AMD is in trouble. The 4090 should be the king in every area overall but it does come at a hefty price.

Bold: I thought HYPER-RX is their answer to Reflex. It should unify boost and anti-lag techs, and the later is what Reflex does, right?

And who cares what's best for RDNA3. What we should care about is us. Therefore, let's hope Nvidia does lower the price of the 4080 and AMD is forced to respond, to start a price war WE will benefit from. It's about damn time!

It's not clear what Hyper Rx is. From what I have seen, it ups the framerate while decreasing latency which isn't what Reflex does. Reflex only decreases input latency due to managing the render queue so there isn't any bottlenecks.

Because Hyper rx increases the framerate in order to decrease input latency, it sounds much more similar to AMD's Boost. What Boost did is dynamically lower to render resolution to meet a certain framerate. But no one used it in practice because it lowers the render resolution, sometimes to insanely low levels which makes it impractical for most situations.

And yea, competition is great.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Since FSR is becoming more and more sophisticated I assume there are similar low-latency techs in the pipeline.

Overall I'm satisfied with performance and pricing. Over 90% of the 4090's raster for 100 W less sounds fine to me. I'm just disappointed with the RT performance. I'm assuming they remained at the same number per CU instead of doubling like the FP32s (called that one) which seems a mistake. Or maybe to save costs on the 5 nm chip, IDK.

Edit - with that being said, these 58B transistors are being produced for way less than Nvidia would spend on a similar amount. So AMD can afford a lot of price competition this time.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 03 November 2022

Captain_Yuri said:
JEMC said:

It's not clear what Hyper Rx is. From what I have seen, it ups the framerate while decreasing latency which isn't what Reflex does. Reflex only decreases input latency due to managing the render queue so there isn't any bottlenecks.

Because Hyper rx increases the framerate in order to decrease input latency, it sounds much more similar to AMD's Boost. What Boost did is dynamically lower to render resolution to meet a certain framerate. But no one used it in practice because it lowers the render resolution, sometimes to insanely low levels which makes it impractical for most situations.

And yea, competition is great.

From the presentation, it seemed pretty clear to me that this is AMD's answer to Reflex, and that it will come in spring next year. I agree with you however that the implementation looks quite different.

Around the Network

haxxiy said:

Keyword is up to:

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
haxxiy said:

Looks like power consumption will be lower than the RTX 40 Series. 350W for the 7900XTX and 300W for the 7900XT. Compare that to the 40 Series here

Last edited by Chicho - on 03 November 2022