By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Shots fired!

AMD dissing NVidia directly for still using DP 1.4 (which severely limits frames sent to the display at higher resolutions) while they are already on DP 2.1

It would of been nice if they had went the full spec and supported UHBR20(80gbs) but I give them credit for at least supporting UHBR13.5(54gbs) which better then any other video card out there (intel only supported UHBR(40gbs) on there ARC gpu).  Even through it not that much higher then HDMI 2.1 (48gbs) that supported on both nvidia and AMD cards.

Around the Network

50% faster in Ray Tracing vs 6950XT lul

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

So, in summary:

• Great performance in raster
  • Even worse RT improvements than I expected, on par with Ampere if not even a bit worse than that
  • FSR 3 and HYPER-RX sound good, but we won't know until they launch next year
  • Better power consumption than expected, similar to RDNA2
  • Clocks are much, much lower than what rumors said. Maybe that's to keep the power consumption down
  • Surprisingly good price

Well, all in all it's a mixed bag of revelations and emotions, with some better than expected news while others are much worse than what we hoped.

Now we'll have to wait for reviews to see how those cards compare to the 4080 16GB, the real competitor of those cards.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Estimated Best Case for 7900XTX in RT:

No wonder the 4080 is priced so high... The Raster is great but hot damn, there's no excuses now. This is AMD's second gen RT cores and it will compete against Ampere while 4090 is insanely fast.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Ngl disappointed at the performance. Especially when compared to Ada and it's still rather lackluster RT performance. At least the price is somewhat reasonable among the ridiculous 40 series prices.

Bit of a mixed bag tbh. May wait it out for the 80 class cards.. idk lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 03 November 2022

Around the Network
JEMC said:

So, in summary:

• Great performance in raster
  • Even worse RT improvements than I expected, on par with Ampere if not even a bit worse than that
  • FSR 3 and HYPER-RX sound good, but we won't know until they launch next year
  • Better power consumption than expected, similar to RDNA2
  • Clocks are much, much lower than what rumors said. Maybe that's to keep the power consumption down
  • Surprisingly good price

Well, all in all it's a mixed bag of revelations and emotions, with some better than expected news while others are much worse than what we hoped.

Now we'll have to wait for reviews to see how those cards compare to the 4080 16GB, the real competitor of those cards.

Yeah, I hope we don't have to wait too long for those.

On another note, at CES, they normally announce their new APUs, which I am very excited about (I need a new laptop without dedicated GPU for work, but I'd love to game on it, too). I hope they'll come with some new ones with Zen 4 and RDNA3, might be a killer combo APU.

So here's my thoughts overall.

Positives:
In terms of Raster, there's a good chance 7900XTX will get within 10-15% of 4090 while being much more efficient and cheap.
DP2.1 is something that I was ragging on about for the better part of the year so that's great as well
Having two 8 pin connectors or three 8 pins for AIBs is a win considering how terrible this connector is

Negatives:
Ray Tracing is absolute dogshit, make no mistake
Ai cores... Great but where's the Ai tech? Is FSR 3 going to be powered by their Ai cores similar to DLSS 3?
No Reflex? Like seriously???

Mixed:
Pricing. $900 and $1000. It feels like its one of those things that I should be cheering for but we know why it's priced like that. This isn't a situation where it's like oh, AMD is doing everyone a favor. This is a situation where Radeon is once again, a one trick pony. Nvidia prices their product the way they do is because they give you a next generation experience. Radeon once again however is meant for a last gen experience.

Conclusion:
RDNA 3's best hope is Nvidia not discounting the price of the 4080. If Nvidia sticks with the $1200 price tag, then I think AMD will start to steal some of the customers. If Nvidia discounts the 4080 to say $900 to compete against 7900XT, then AMD is in trouble. The 4090 should be the king in every area overall but it does come at a hefty price.

I see the XTX as being a card slotted in between a 4080 and 90. Performs closer to the latter in raster but closer to a 3080Ti/3090 in RT. All while having FSR 3.0, which should make up some ground in demanding games. I'd say its not launch per-se.. its just it won't be for everyone and certainly not for the people who demand the best. And probably not the upgrade path for people already on a 3080 or 90.

Else for $900 and $1000 for the XT and XTX, they seem to be good value cards - as crazy as that sounds to many people including myself. I guess covid/scalper tax for the last couple of years does that to you. Not bad AMD.

Lets see how Nvidia with respond with the inevitable RTX 4070 and 4070Ti.

GN calling out AMD's BS marketing

Radeon is acting like Intel lul.

hinch said:

I see the XTX as being a card slotted in between a 4080 and 90. Performs closer to the latter in raster but closer to a 3080Ti/3090 in RT. All while having FSR 3.0, which should make up some ground in demanding games. I'd say its not launch per-se.. its just it won't be for everyone and certainly not for the people who demand the best. And probably not the upgrade path for people already on a 3080 or 90.

Else for $900 and $1000 for the XT and XTX, they seem to be good value cards - as crazy as that sounds to many people including myself. I guess covid/scalper tax for the last couple of years does that to you. Not bad AMD.

Lets see how Nvidia with respond with the inevitable RTX 4070 and 4070Ti.

FSR 3 sounds like frame interpolation which is interesting because AMD doesn't have an alternative to Reflex so how are they going to manage the input latency?

They have their HYPER-RX but that sounds like another version of AMD's boost which was terrible. But we will see.