By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

A few more things that I wanted to say about this...

This is the first handheld that I am aware of that is more powerful than a base ps4. Heck with Zen 3 and RDNA 2, it should be a lot more powerful.

And secondly, which is the bigger point is that... Because it's a PC, you don't have to worry about it being a Vita situation where if it flops, you will still have games coming to it. And because it's RDNA 2 and Zen 2, it has support for all the latest technologies! Not to mention, this feels like it's made for Windows 11 and all it's new touchscreen stuff!

I totally forgot to ask, how is this thing going to handle it's system updates (you know for the GPU/CPU combo), are Valve going to personally update the devices like Switch does, or is this something we're going to have to manually search and dl for ourselves?. Hoping it's the former. 

zero129 said:

I wonder how well this thing will run Yuzu. Imagine if it can play switch games better then switch xD .

Someone out there is gonna do it, we just gotta wait and see how long it takes them. It'd be baller amazing if someone can, because that'd make it like the ultimate handheld. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

A few more things that I wanted to say about this...

This is the first handheld that I am aware of that is more powerful than a base ps4. Heck with Zen 3 and RDNA 2, it should be a lot more powerful.

And secondly, which is the bigger point is that... Because it's a PC, you don't have to worry about it being a Vita situation where if it flops, you will still have games coming to it. And because it's RDNA 2 and Zen 2, it has support for all the latest technologies! Not to mention, this feels like it's made for Windows 11 and all it's new touchscreen stuff!

I totally forgot to ask, how is this thing going to handle it's system updates (you know for the GPU/CPU combo), are Valve going to personally update the devices like Switch does, or is this something we're going to have to manually search and dl for ourselves?. Hoping it's the former. 

If you are using their SteamOS, I am assuming Valve will send out auto updates but we don't know for sure. If you are gonna install Windows on it, you will have to do it the old fashioned way lol.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

If you are using their SteamOS, I am assuming Valve will send out auto updates but we don't know for sure. If you are gonna install Windows on it, you will have to do it the old fashioned way lol.

Yeah I'm likely to not mess around with the device and just stick with Steam OS lol. Would def not like doing stuff the old way on a handheld (it's why I never wanted to GDP devices because of that). 

zero129 said:

Its already done since its been confirmed this thing can run anything a PC can. Yuzu already runs many games as good or better then switch atm and Ryujinx also allows Switch games to be played in whatever res you want So with that CPU+GPU combo you could be playing switch games in 4k res pretty easy i think pretty much its just for someone to test when this releases but i think it will run very well.

Then this very much might be the ultimate gaming handheld =D. Though I'm sure VGC is going to say otherwise (I mean that thread for it is already doom and gloom, but I'm not surprised, it's VGC after all, Xbox/PC are fucked regardless),

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I think the Steam Deck is the first product announced using AMD Van Gogh APU. Will be interesting when more information come out on this APU as AMD have not release that much information about it yet. Last rumor I heard is it have updated Audio processing on it also.

I making what I think a safe assumption as I doubt Valve using a custom APU and the rumor specs for Van Gogh have been 4 cores, DDR5 support, Zen 2 and RDNA2 gpu so it matches the announce specs on Steam Deck.

I'm somewhat interested in the Deck, although I'm not sure how much use I would have for it. Might still end up getting one eventually though.

Around the Network

Yeah, should I buy one... or should I say... if perhaps I end up buying one, I'm going to install Windows on it. Linux might be alright, but I dislike Steam as it is and want an OS that will be able to run more than just Proton stuff.

Chazore said:
hinch said:

IGN has a hands on look at it - https://www.ign.com/articles/steam-deck-hands-on-impressions-details-valve-handheld-gaming-pc

Ngl but that whole setup+minimalist dock looks hella dope.

I'd def wanna use one of those for on the go travel.

Yeah, like the dock. Now I'm kinda regretting not getting a monitor with KVM lol. But yeah, this looks like a go-to for portable gaming. Steam games and a whole load of emulators and still functions as a small working PC.

For commuting or traveling abroad this would be awesome to have.

Steam Deck pre-orders are going to be up in less than 40 minutes. There is a $5 refundable deposit that is required. If you refund with in 30 days, it will get refunded back to your payment method otherwise, it will get refunded to your steam wallet after 30 days if you still want to refund. DO NOT BUY $399 version as the Internal Storage is non upgradable.

Some news

Steam Deck Supports Ray Tracing, VRS, and Other Stores; Programmer Compares It to Xbox Series X in Performance per Pixel

https://wccftech.com/steam-deck-supports-ray-tracing-vrs-and-other-stores-programmer-compares-it-to-xbox-series-x-in-power-per-pixel/

Not that I'd enable Ray Tracing on a handheld like this but having support for VRS and Mesh Shaders and such means that it should get useful features to help with performance.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 SUPER ‘Ampere’ GPUs Headed To Desktop & Mobile Platforms, Production Build Starts This Quarter

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-super-ampere-gpus-headed-to-desktop-mobile-platforms/

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5000 ‘Chagall’ HEDT CPU Rumors: 5990X & 5995WX With Up To 64 Zen 3 Cores, Chagall X3D Next Year

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-5000-chagall-hedt-cpu-5990x-5995wx-with-up-to-64-zen-3-cores-chagall-x3d-leak/

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Damn, got mixed up with the time of preorders. Why show just PDT

Edit: Oh I think its 6PM for us in the UK

Last edited by hinch - on 16 July 2021

hinch said:

Damn, got mixed up with the time of preorders and looks like all gone (UK). Why show just PDT

You should still have 10 minutesh left before pre-orders start?