By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Zkuq said:

Hmm. Makes me think if I should buy another external HDD while I still can, for backup purposes. This doesn't seem to be affecting SSDs, correct? Because of their higher prices, I would assume? If this is HDDs only, I don't really care, because I don't need that much storage (except for external storage, and my needs are more in the range of 1-4 TB).

Sort of

The way that the coin works is this. There's more or less 2 main stages.

First stage is the plotting stage.

You dedicated a temporary space on your hard drive but realistically, this requires a fast SSD otherwise the plotting stage takes forever. Once you have your temporary space, the program will then start "plotting the land" so to speak on that temporary space.

Once it is done plotting, then it moves to stage 2 which is "farming."

Farming is when you have to dedicate space for the long term and the files that were made in the temporary space gets moved into the hard drive. This is where you would use a large hard drive and it needs to run 24/7. The way that people get the Chia coin is through chance but the more plots that you have, the higher your chance is to get paid. There is also an estimated time which goes significantly lower as you increase your plots.

As this needs both a very fast SSD and large hard drive, we could certainly see this affecting SSDs as well. This is one of those things that separates the men from the boys when it comes to SSDs cause if you have a cheap or even an okay SSD, it will kill it where as if you have something like a Samsung Evo or Pro, those will be worth their weight in gold if this continues to take off.

So for now, hard drives are high in demand but there's gonna be a ton of SSDs that's about to get murdered.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
JEMC said:

I wonder if Dell is having financial troubles (or at least they had before Covid came and PC sales went through the roof), because those kind of tactics, which, imho, are borderline fraudulent, can be seen on business that are in desperate need of money.

The new problem with HDDs... well, at least it's gradual and we see it coming. We'll be able to purchase extra storage if needed before those parasites reach their hands for them.

As far as I know, this would be clearly illegal within the EU. Hence why you can't find it on their website over here.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

I wonder if Dell is having financial troubles (or at least they had before Covid came and PC sales went through the roof), because those kind of tactics, which, imho, are borderline fraudulent, can be seen on business that are in desperate need of money.

The new problem with HDDs... well, at least it's gradual and we see it coming. We'll be able to purchase extra storage if needed before those parasites reach their hands for them.

As far as I know, this would be clearly illegal within the EU. Hence why you can't find it on their website over here.

It doesn't surprise me. It's a very shady scheme, and the EU isn't affraid of giving fines left and right if they feel like it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 3D model leaks, features USB Type-C connector

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-3d-model-leaks-features-usb-type-c-connector

Now if this leak is real, the important thing is the new 12 pin placement.

That's where it should have been placed to begin with!

Nier Replicant Charts As Best Seller On Steam, Beats Nier Automata Peak Record

https://gameinfinitus.com/news/nier-replicant-charts-as-best-seller-on-steam-beats-nier-automata-peak-record/

ART-Mark - Another Ray-Tracing Benchmark has been released

https://perschistence.itch.io/art-mark

Brings even the 3090 down to it's knees.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Decided to give it a try.  I don't think he got his 3090 cooled enough or there was a bug in .74 vs .76.  I say it because I ran it out of curiosity and while my average and max was only about 5fps higher which easily can be explain by different clock speeds on my 3090 vs his but my min was 64.29 and his was 17.97.  The only thing I can think of to explain that is a bug or major throttling from over heating. My results

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Zkuq said:

Hmm. Makes me think if I should buy another external HDD while I still can, for backup purposes. This doesn't seem to be affecting SSDs, correct? Because of their higher prices, I would assume? If this is HDDs only, I don't really care, because I don't need that much storage (except for external storage, and my needs are more in the range of 1-4 TB).

Sort of

You dedicated a temporary space on your hard drive but realistically, this requires a fast SSD otherwise the plotting stage takes forever. Once you have your temporary space, the program will then start "plotting the land" so to speak on that temporary space.

Farming is when you have to dedicate space for the long term and the files that were made in the temporary space gets moved into the hard drive. This is where you would use a large hard drive and it needs to run 24/7. The way that people get the Chia coin is through chance but the more plots that you have, the higher your chance is to get paid. There is also an estimated time which goes significantly lower as you increase your plots.

As this needs both a very fast SSD and large hard drive, we could certainly see this affecting SSDs as well. This is one of those things that separates the men from the boys when it comes to SSDs cause if you have a cheap or even an okay SSD, it will kill it where as if you have something like a Samsung Evo or Pro, those will be worth their weight in gold if this continues to take off.

So for now, hard drives are high in demand but there's gonna be a ton of SSDs that's about to get murdered.

Well that sucks. I want to do some major upgrades when GPUs are available and when DirectStorage is out so that fast SSDs get a bit more time to mature and improve, but by then we might have run out of stock already. Sounds like I'll have to either get a new SSD right about now or risk not being able to get a good one for any reasonable price later. Since I'm in no rush thanks to the GPU situation, I might as well wait, but I'm fully expecting to be quite annoyed later due to lack of supply...

Cyran said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Decided to give it a try.  I don't think he got his 3090 cooled enough or there was a bug in .74 vs .76.  I say it because I ran it out of curiosity and while my average and max was only about 5fps higher which easily can be explain by different clock speeds on my 3090 vs his but my min was 64.29 and his was 17.97.  The only thing I can think of to explain that is a bug or major throttling from over heating. My results

Yea probably a bug if I had to guess.  I'll try it after work and post it here.

Zkuq said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Sort of

Well that sucks. I want to do some major upgrades when GPUs are available and when DirectStorage is out so that fast SSDs get a bit more time to mature and improve, but by then we might have run out of stock already. Sounds like I'll have to either get a new SSD right about now or risk not being able to get a good one for any reasonable price later. Since I'm in no rush thanks to the GPU situation, I might as well wait, but I'm fully expecting to be quite annoyed later due to lack of supply...

Yea it is quite annoying. The good news is that as long as you have at least a reasonable pci-e 3.0 Nvme SSD, you can use direct storage with really any GPU. Hell as btc keeps going down, maybe Chia won't even take off until the next boom since buying all these equipment costs money.

Captain_Yuri said:

https://gameinfinitus.com/news/nier-replicant-charts-as-best-seller-on-steam-beats-nier-automata-peak-record/

lol, SE's gonna see that and go "port must be good, no need to fix it"

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

lol, SE's gonna see that and go "port must be good, no need to fix it"

Sad but true. At least this port is a lot better than Automata which is better than nothing I suppose...