By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

I am surprised people still have quad-cores.... Honestly cannot remember in recent history using a quaddy.
Even my $800 AUD notebook has a 6-core CPU... And my phone has an 8-core chip.

Been using a 6-core or better CPU since 2010 starting with the Phenom 2 x6 1090T.

How do they handle in modern games and software?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I'm getting frustrated with my 1050ti. I can't play Hearthstone on one monitor while watching video on the other without stuttering. I really need a 3050ti in my life.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pemalite said:

I am surprised people still have quad-cores.... Honestly cannot remember in recent history using a quaddy.

Been using a 6-core or better CPU since 2010 starting with the Phenom 2 x6 1090T.

I think the most demanding games I have are The Witcher 3, GTA V and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. They all run fine with my i5-4670k and a GTX 1070 at 1440p.

Thanks for asking.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Are you people telling me I don't need a 5950x to play games?

/s

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:
Pemalite said:

I think the most demanding games I have are The Witcher 3, GTA V and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. They all run fine with my i5-4670k and a GTX 1070 at 1440p.

Thanks for asking.

Witcher 3 is 5~ years old, GTA 5 is 7 years old, Shadow of the Tomb Raider is a couple years old.
Not surprising they run well... Haswell still sticking in there I see. Are you running it at stock or overclocked?

Kinda flies in the face of console gamers who assert that you need to upgrade every 6 months...

Around the Network
vivster said:

I'm getting frustrated with my 1050ti. I can't play Hearthstone on one monitor while watching video on the other without stuttering. I really need a 3050ti in my life.

Looks like I'm not the only one here with a 1050Ti

And yeah, those start to get really slow. In mobile GPUs, the MX450 already comes awfully close to the 1050Ti, only getting hampered by the slower and less memory. And Zen 4 APUs should also not be far off anymore

Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

The question will be if infinity cache will be implemented into APUs. After all, the size of the cache should cause a pretty big increase in size for such small chips, and a smaller one would probably not bring very much benefit anymore. And without the infinity cache or some bolted-on fast memory chips as LLC, they are really limited by the RAM bandwidth.

Zen 4 next year should solve (well, alleviate) this problem, as it comes with DDR5, and probably also will bring some RDNA variant, which as far as I know needs a bit less bandwidth than GCN even without infinity cache already.

I expect the Infinity cache in the Zen 4 APUs to be half or a third of the size of the one in Big Navi (32 or 24 Megabyte). Less would probably not bring much benefit anymore, while more would make then too expensive for the performance gains.

My prediction for the Zen 4 APUs: 12 slightly altered RDNA2 CU with 2.1Ghz clock speed (not more CU because it will probably only support lower speed DDR5 early on, like DDR5-4800 for instance) in the 6800H and 1.8 Ghz in the 6800U; should be enough to beat Baffin (RX 560), Zen 5 (or whatever will follow after Zen 4) should increase the CU count to 14 or 16.

Infinity Cache would likely be prohibitively expensive unless AMD can justify it by unifying that cache for CPU operations in order to justify the transistor expenditure... Which isn't likely to happen in a cost sensitive product like an APU.
Then Again, Intel did just that with it's CPU's and Integrated Graphics with Iris Pro.

DDR5 isn't likely to cure our limited Ram bandwidth... Keep in mind that Dual-Channel DDR5 4800mhz is still only offering 64GB/s of bandwidth... Which not all can be dedicated to graphics, it's shared with the CPU cores and other logic as well.

In short, it will be a step up over a Radeon RX 530 or Geforce 1030 thanks to architectural efficiency gains. (I.E. Working Draw Stream Rasterization and Primitive Shaders plus improvements to Delta Colour Compression.)

It will be great for 1080P and lower gaming, but higher probably won't be viable until DDR6.

Considering that Zen 3 APUs (which thankfully won't be OEM only like the Zen 2 ones) come with now 16MB of L3, I do think with a shrink to 5nm adding 16MB of infinity cache should be doable. The chip would get somewhat bigger due to the additional CU and cache, but not overly so.

Also, I know DDDR5 ain't the cure, but it will still boost the bandwidth quite a bit. Hence why I only went with a modest increase to 12CU with Zen 4. But it will certainly help, and with the infinity cache, allow to get close to Polaris performance (as in the RX 470) in 2023-2024

Pemalite said:

Still using a quadcore (7700HQ) - but most of my games are either oldies or the are indies, so the quadcore is sufficient for me most of the time.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 10 January 2021

Pemalite said:

Games like Witcher 3, old Metro games work fine for me, but games like GTA V/Ubisoft games, not so much at 1440p (though tbf, Ubisoft are hardly PC first publisher, same with R*).

Mine's OC'd to around 4.5ghz, though I could be cheeky and just crank it to 5, but I don't really feel like shortening it's lifespan just yet (despite be having a spare duplicate in another room that's yet to be opened). 

Last edited by Chazore - on 10 January 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Considering that Zen 3 APUs (which thankfully won't be OEM only like the Zen 2 ones) come with now 16MB of L3, I do think with a shrink to 5nm adding 16MB of infinity cache should be doable. The chip would get somewhat bigger due to the additional CU and cache, but not overly so.

A hypothetical infinity cache on a APU would likely end up being an L4 cache for all intents and purposes.

But yeah... At 5nm there is room to move, hopefully AMD doesn't blow out CU counts and instead just focuses on ramping up clocks.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Also, I know DDDR5 ain't the cure, but it will still boost the bandwidth quite a bit. Hence why I only went with a modest increase to 12CU with Zen 4. But it will certainly help, and with the infinity cache, allow to get close to Polaris performance (as in the RX 470) in 2023-2024

It's 64GB/s of bandwidth verses 211GB/s of bandwidth, the RX470 will be able to scale better at higher resolutions when you become fillrate limited.. So that infinity cache will really need to be something substantial.
Plus the RX470 will likely have the ROP, Texture and Compute advantage as well.

In saying that... Dual Channel DDR4 3600mhz can do 57.6GB/s... Sadly laptop APU's aren't pushing that though, they stop at 51.2GB/s.

Chazore said:
Pemalite said:

Games like Witcher 3, old Metro games work fine for me, but games like GTA V/Ubisoft games, not so much at 1440p (though tbf, Ubisoft are hardly PC first publisher, same with R*).

Mine's OC'd to around 4.5ghz, though I could be cheeky and just crank it to 5, but I don't really feel like shortening it's lifespan just yet (despite be having a spare duplicate in another room that's yet to be opened). 

Haswell was always a good clocker, but yeah, the harder you push those chips the quicker electromigration sets in.
Probably still got a few years of life left in her still, but this won't be the same as the 8th gen in terms of transition in regards to CPU requirements, it's a big jump for the lowest common denominator.

Pemalite said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It's 64GB/s of bandwidth verses 211GB/s of bandwidth, the RX470 will be able to scale better at higher resolutions when you become fillrate limited.. So that infinity cache will really need to be something substantial.
Plus the RX470 will likely have the ROP, Texture and Compute advantage as well.

In saying that... Dual Channel DDR4 3600mhz can do 57.6GB/s... Sadly laptop APU's aren't pushing that though, they stop at 51.2GB/s.

I wonder why you measure with dual channel DDR5-4000 as if that were the limit. Did mix up the speeds with those from DDR4X? After all, DDR5 is supposed to start at 4800, and go all the way to 6400 - for now (higher speeds are planned for later by JEDEC). By that point, you have 51.2GB/s per channel, or 102.4GB/s on a standard dual channel board, quite a bit more than just 64GB/s. Unless you meant on a single channel, which will certainly be possible shortly before DDR6 comes along...

Of course, that would still just be half of the bandwidth of the RX 470. However, the RX 470 gets beaten in performance by the RX 5300XT despite the latter only having 112GB/s. So either the bandwidth of the RX 470 was oversized, or RDNA needs much less of it than GCN4 to push pixels around.

*** NEW CONTEST ***

HEXUS EPIC Giveaway Day 28: Win a PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Devil https://hexus.net/tech/features/graphics/147123-day-28-win-powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-xt-red-devil/

This contest is limited to UK and Europe ONLY.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.