By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

NVIDIA official GeForce RTX 3060 Ti performance leaked - Faster than 2080 Super. Take it with a grain of salt.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-official-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-performance-leaked

Pretty good. Not bad at $399 either.

At this rate an RTX 3060 is going to equal 2070 Super xP

Loll so true. Nvidia snapping 2000 series out of existence!

At this rate, a 3050 Ti might be faster than a 2060 Super.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Cyran said:
Barkley said:

My new build:

Motherboard - ASRock B550M Pro 4
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo Black
Ram - 16gb (2x8gb) 3600mhz
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti
Case - CoolerMaster Silencio S400
Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 500gb + Intel 730 480gb

My i5-4670k was overclocked to 4.5ghz, so while the new Ryzen will destroy it in anything using more than 4 threads I'm not entirely sure about single-thread performance which was still a beast... hopefully a bit better mainly for emulation sake.

Once games on PC start taking better advantage of higher than SATA speeds I'll shove a gen 4 NVME ssd in there. Probably sometime next year with DirectStorage coming out then.

Even in 2020 though, the only game I ever played that the i5-4670k (OC'd) couldn't manage 60fps in was the latest Assassin's Creed games (origins onwards) which dipped to 45. Amazing how long it lasted.

Nice build and you got nothing to worry about in single thread performance.  The 3600 going to be way ahead of the 4670k.  I think you vastly underestimating how much IPC gain there was in the 6 years between the Haswell architecture and the Zen 2.

One recommendation with Zen 2 unless you just really into tweaking the CPU manually there really not much gain from OC Zen 2 manually vs using the auto OC of precision boost so for overclocking I would just turn on precision boost and call it a day.  Precision boost adapt to temperature but my guess for single core you see around 4.5ghz with it on.  A bit lower when taxing all cores. 

I wanted to look into that Ryzen Clock Tuner program someone made, see if that squeezes anything out of it or at least lowers temps, but I'll try just the precision boost too.

My single thread performance concerns comes from userbenchmark.

Single Thread

i5-4670k (average) = 108 points
i5-4670k (my 4.5ghz) = 132 points
R5 3600 (average) = 130 points

So at stock it seems likely single-thread performance will be about the same as my OC'd i5, but I'm sure I'll be able to get it up a a bit which will be fine.

Single-thread performance won't be your problem. But your GPU will become a limiting factor soon enough.

For the rest, you're settled for a while if that's enough storage for you.

Mummelmann said:
So for gamers this holiday season, they can expect no GPU's in stock, no PS5, perhaps a few Xbox. Merry Christmas! This is going to hurt me next year if things remain out of stock for long, I imagined prices being decent if there was actual competition on the market but if no one has goods to sell, prices will only remain high. At least memory and storage are likely to become cheaper by spring/summer.

Speaking of holidays, somebody making the secret santa this year?

So I bought an Xbox Series controller to use with my PC thinking it'd be like plug and play, but now I find myself downloading a couple of Windows apps - developer mode and installing the packages manually since the store is dead - and updating firmware in the controller through USB cables. I guess that's MS idea of friendly interfaces nowadays. At least I got two free weeks of Gamepass.

Ka-pi96 said:
haxxiy said:

So I bought an Xbox Series controller to use with my PC thinking it'd be like plug and play, but now I find myself downloading a couple of Windows apps - developer mode and installing the packages manually since the store is dead - and updating firmware in the controller through USB cables. I guess that's MS idea of friendly interfaces nowadays. At least I got two free weeks of Gamepass.

Really? That sucks.

I was thinking about getting one too, but if it's that much of a pain in the butt maybe I won't.

or just use a usb 3.0 cable and skip all that

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

Weird mine was plug and play but the controller did do an update when it was connected to Series X before I connected it to my pc

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

kirby007 said:
Ka-pi96 said:
haxxiy said:

Really? That sucks.

I was thinking about getting one too, but if it's that much of a pain in the butt maybe I won't.

or just use a usb 3.0 cable and skip all that

That was with the USB cable. But, to be fair, I'm partly to blame since I've messed around so much to cut all the automatic updates crap. Apparently one of the recent ones was necessary to recognize the wireless functionality of the new controller for some reason.

But even if I hadn't - yeah, it definitely was an easier time to connect and configure the Switch Pro.

haxxiy said:

Bought the same. Only got it to work through usb cable so far. Was using Xbox 360 controller till now which is working great. Why i had to buy this. 

Last edited by green_sky - on 16 November 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mummelmann said:
So for gamers this holiday season, they can expect no GPU's in stock, no PS5, perhaps a few Xbox. Merry Christmas! This is going to hurt me next year if things remain out of stock for long, I imagined prices being decent if there was actual competition on the market but if no one has goods to sell, prices will only remain high. At least memory and storage are likely to become cheaper by spring/summer.

What's even the point now that I cannot gift Rocket League anymore?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Barkley said:
Cyran said:
Barkley said:

My new build:

Motherboard - ASRock B550M Pro 4
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo Black
Ram - 16gb (2x8gb) 3600mhz
GPU - GTX 1660 Ti
Case - CoolerMaster Silencio S400
Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 500gb + Intel 730 480gb

My i5-4670k was overclocked to 4.5ghz, so while the new Ryzen will destroy it in anything using more than 4 threads I'm not entirely sure about single-thread performance which was still a beast... hopefully a bit better mainly for emulation sake.

Once games on PC start taking better advantage of higher than SATA speeds I'll shove a gen 4 NVME ssd in there. Probably sometime next year with DirectStorage coming out then.

Even in 2020 though, the only game I ever played that the i5-4670k (OC'd) couldn't manage 60fps in was the latest Assassin's Creed games (origins onwards) which dipped to 45. Amazing how long it lasted.

Nice build and you got nothing to worry about in single thread performance.  The 3600 going to be way ahead of the 4670k.  I think you vastly underestimating how much IPC gain there was in the 6 years between the Haswell architecture and the Zen 2.

One recommendation with Zen 2 unless you just really into tweaking the CPU manually there really not much gain from OC Zen 2 manually vs using the auto OC of precision boost so for overclocking I would just turn on precision boost and call it a day.  Precision boost adapt to temperature but my guess for single core you see around 4.5ghz with it on.  A bit lower when taxing all cores. 

I wanted to look into that Ryzen Clock Tuner program someone made, see if that squeezes anything out of it or at least lowers temps, but I'll try just the precision boost too.

My single thread performance concerns comes from userbenchmark.

Single Thread

i5-4670k (average) = 108 points
i5-4670k (my 4.5ghz) = 132 points
R5 3600 (average) = 130 points

So at stock it seems likely single-thread performance will be about the same as my OC'd i5, but I'm sure I'll be able to get it up a a bit which will be fine.

*pic*

Single-thread performance won't be your problem. But your GPU will become a limiting factor soon enough.

For the rest, you're settled for a while if that's enough storage for you.

Depends on the resolution. A 1660Ti could be fine for 1080p for the time being. The 6GB of memory will become a problem in the future.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mummelmann said:

I asked that on November 1st. Yours is the first mention about it since then.

Bonus: Two quotes in a row!

haxxiy said:

I didn't had any problems to make mine work in Windows, but making the rumble work in Steam was quite troublesome.

In the end I had to download the Xbox App (silly name since it's for PC not a phone) and find the right setting in Steam controller menu.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.