Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx's PC gaming emporium - Catch up on all the latest PC Gaming related news

Zarx changed his avatar again. Thoughts?

Noice 244 61.62%

So soon? I just got used to the last one 13 3.28%

it sucks 21 5.30%

Your cropping skills are lacking 13 3.28%

Too noisy, can't tell WTF it even is 13 3.28%

Meh 31 7.83%

Total:335
haxxiy said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea at lower resolutions, it's not as massive of a leap but who the heck is gonna buy this card to play games at 1080p? This a card that is clearly targeted towards 4k where it sees quite a massive improvement. So I wouldn't doubt it's less efficient in lower resolutions than 4k.

And yea, the performance/watt gain vs Turing isn't very good but I'd like to see AMD bring better performance than what we are seeing with 3080 cause if all they end up doing is giving us a more power efficient card at lower performance, I couldn't care less. If RDNA 2 is more powerful though, then it would peak my interest.

Come on, is that sort of thinking that yielded absolute computing 'gems' like Netburst, Fermi, or Vega. Great designs like Athlon 64, Maxwell, or Zen, began by increasing efficiency. It's one of the main drivers of innovation in just about any market, after all. So, I'd say that's very relevant.

Much like lower resolutions seem relevant in a context where less than 3% of people play at 4K according to the most recent hardware survey. And Nvidia surely wants to increase the adoption of DLSS, which will be rendering games at 1080p or even lower. In this context, it just feels weird that the architecture apparently chokes at lower resolutions - and looking at framerates it isn't CPU bottleneck either, so there's that. 

I mean, one of main cause of the efficiency issue with Ampere is going with Samsung's 8N which we know is most likely going to change with Hopper. Nvidia made a meh move going with Samsung which is something that we all know and it's not like anyone is denying the power hungry aspect of Ampere.

But a lot of it has to do with whether or not that power consumption gives you the performance which was one of the main issues with Vega. Vega cards had high  power consumption figures while giving you similar or less performance than cards with less power consumption and in the case of Vega VII, missing features like RT cores and Tensor Cores. VII 313 Watts vs 2080 226 Watts for example. If RDNA 2 can make Ampere look like that, then people will get on that hype train. Efficiency obviously matters but so does actual performance.

Yes but steam's hardware survey also shows 2080/2080 Ti are less than 1% respectively... The types of people that will be spending $700+ on a GPU are not gonna be the xx60 crowd...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network
green_sky said:

Still bad for flight sim. Wait for 5050 Ti. 

KekW fun for now. 

“Now he’s stuck playing his Xbox 360” LOOL

Now the benchmarks are out the way, I'm leaning more towards the RTX 3070 / RX6700.. since I don't game at 4K and the power usage is a tad bit too high for me. Still really impressive stuff though. Good luck to everyone buying out there!

Last edited by hinch - on 16 September 2020

These benchmarks show that a 3070 will most likely not easily beat a 2080ti. Gonna be slower in plenty of scenarios.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Yeah.. Might just stump out for a 3080 Idk lol.

Yea it's gonna be a situation where the 3070 and 2080 Ti trade blows depending on the resolution and ray tracing. Not that anyone should sell a 2080 Ti and get a 3070...

Anime: Haruhi                                                                                      Anime: Love Live
                              Nsfw Anime Thread                                                                             Join our Anime Threads!
                             Sfw Anime Thread                                                                                VGC Tutorial Thread

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Yea it's gonna be a situation where the 3070 and 2080 Ti trade blows depending on the resolution and ray tracing. Not that anyone should sell a 2080 Ti and get a 3070...

Very true. But someone out there could be thinking of getting a 3070 when a second hand 2080Ti could be better or cheaper.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Very true. But someone out there could be thinking of getting a 3070 when a second hand 2080Ti could be better or cheaper.

Yea if I was in the market to get a 3070 class GPU, I'd probably think about that 2080 Ti, specially with that Vram and 1440p performance unless I really want that Ray Tracing which I am sure is gonna be close as well. If the monitor is 1080p, 2080 Ti no question.

Alternatively, wait for RDNA 2

So now that PCIE4 is useless, which CPU to get? Pretty sure I'm gonna be fine with a 3080, but will that be true with a 4080?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well DF showed that Ryzen is bottlenecking 3080 depending on the game and resolution but Zen 3 could change that. So... Wait for Zen 3 or get Intel 10th gen.

But one thing that you may want to think about is RTX IO. Depending on how the SSD thing turns out, it could be a nothing burger or might actually have an affect on performance, specially with PCI-E 4.0 vs 3.0 SSD speeds. Since Nvidia even mentioned the benefits at their press conference, it's certainly going to be used, just the question of what speed the SSD will need to be. So I'd wait for Zen 3 at least to see how the cpu turns out.