By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

The rest of the news:

Cute, cuddly otters are coming to Ark: Survival Evolved
http://www.pcgamer.com/cute-cuddly-otters-are-coming-to-ark-survival-evolved/
Ark: Survival Evolved is famous for its ferocious bestiary. This is a game that literally has dinosaurs with frickin' lasers attached to their heads, after all. The latest creature to be added to the game is quite a bit different from all of that, however, because instead of being huge and fierce (or even just kind of big, but still fierce), this new creature is a straight-up cuddler. It's an otter.

Spelunky creator Derek Yu reveals his next project, and the secret of UFO50
http://www.pcgamer.com/spelunky-creator-derek-yu-reveals-his-next-project-and-the-secret-of-ufo50/
Spelunky creator Derek Yu hinted at something new a couple of weeks ago when he tweeted a screenshot of what appeared to be a new game, accompanied by the hashtag #UFO50. Right around the same time, two other indie developers, Jon Perry and Eirik Suhrke, tweeted different images using the same hashtag. What, we wondered, could it be? Today, the secret was revealed.

Destiny 2 will offer XP boosts and in-game loot as part of Rockstar Energy and Pop-Tarts promotions
http://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-2-will-offer-xp-boosts-and-in-game-loot-as-part-of-rockstar-energy-and-pop-tarts-promotions/
The Destiny expansion The Taken King featured a corporate partnership with Red Bull that offered players consumable XP boosts and timed-exclusive access to a minor but time-exclusive quest line, in exchange for drinking (or, at the very least, buying and then pouring out) its foul-tasting concoction. For Destiny 2, Activision and Bungie is doubling down on that strategy with two new, equally-irrelevant sponsorship deals.

>>*Facepalm*

AM2R creator is now working on Ori and the Will of the Wisps
http://www.pcgamer.com/am2r-creator-is-now-working-on-ori-and-the-will-of-the-wisps/
AM2R leading creator Milton ‘DoctorM64’ Guasti said in a recent blog post that "everyone involved in AM2R moved on," and so has he, to "a new, original Metroidvania game" done in Unity. "It's really early in development right now, but I'll make sure to have something cool to show whenever I decide to make it public," he wrote.
As excellent as that sounds, it may be awhile before any of it happens, as just a day later he made an even bigger announcement: He's now working with Moon Studios as a level designer on the upcoming Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

Rainbow Six Siege PC patch is huge but will 'reset foundation future patches are built upon'
http://www.pcgamer.com/rainbow-six-siege-pc-patch-is-huge-but-will-reset-foundation-future-patches-are-built-upon/
Rainbow Six Siege has surpassed 20 million registered players and is now "here to stay", so reckons Ubisoft. To this end, as part of its long-term update strategy, the developer has announced a "data cleanup" of sorts that requires a pretty hefty patch on PC. How hefty? Up to 42GB.
Pretty substantial, then, but necessary as the Y2S3.0 (Year two, season three) patch will reset the "foundation that future patches are built upon", and will help establish a new "baseline" the developer will update the game client from hereon.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice deletes your save file for dying too often
http://www.pcgamer.com/hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-deletes-your-save-file-for-dying-too-often/
In his warm review, Leif praised Ninja Theory's Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice as a "powerful portrait of the strength of will over personal demons." He did reckon it could benefit from more in the way of exploration and enemy variety, however one feature that appears to have ruffled a number of people's feathers is the game's approach to permadeath. Dying too many times in Hellblade results in having your save file wiped entirely.

Don't Knock Twice portrays a 'psychologically terrifying' urban legend this September
http://www.pcgamer.com/dont-knock-twice-portrays-a-psychologically-terrifying-urban-legend-this-september/
Don't Knock Twice is the latest game from Wales Interactive—the studio behind the likes of Master Reboot and Soul Axiom. It's due September 5 and will launch alongside a short film of the same name (which incidentally stars Katee Sackhoff of Battlestar Galactica fame).

Everything's exploding in Killing Floor 2
http://www.pcgamer.com/everythings-exploding-in-killing-floor-2/
This week you'll probably want to keep some extra distance between you and the mobs of flesh that chase you around in Killing Floor 2. In KF2's final Weekly Outbreak event, "Boom," zeds explode when they die, hurting anyone or anything around them. Larger zeds explode like a miniature nuke, dealing even more splash damage.

No Man's Sky teases portals and spacecrafts ahead of update 1.3
http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-teases-portals-and-spacecrafts-ahead-of-update-13/
At the beginning of June, Hello Games launched Waking Titan—a hype-stirring ARG for its open-world space roamer No Man's Sky. Complete with strange cassette tapes, snippets of vague information and an expected deluge of Reddit back-and-forthing, the alternate reality game was said to offer clues tied to NMS' incoming update 1.3.
New images suggest this will involve portals of some sort, as well as a new ship.

Orwell: Ignorance is Strength is inspired by fake news
http://www.pcgamer.com/orwell-ignorance-is-strength-is-inspired-by-fake-news/
Orwell was one of the surprise hits of 2016, a surveillance-themed adventure sim which our reviewer described as "a novel perspective on totalitarian surveillance". That serialised adventure is getting a follow-up this year, in the form of Orwell: Ignorance is Strength.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

This could be good even if some of the games turn out half decent. 

Edit: Destiny 2 will offer XP boosts and in-game loot as part of Rockstar Energy and Pop-Tarts promotions 

http://www.pcgamer.com/destiny-2-will-offer-xp-boosts-and-in-game-loot-as-part-of-rockstar-energy-and-pop-tarts-promotions/ 
The Destiny expansion The Taken King featured a corporate partnership with Red Bull that offered players consumable XP boosts and timed-exclusive access to a minor but time-exclusive quest line, in exchange for drinking (or, at the very least, buying and then pouring out) its foul-tasting concoction. For Destiny 2, Activision and Bungie is doubling down on that strategy with two new, equally-irrelevant sponsorship deals.

>>*Facepalm*

That's just so damn ridiculous. Facepalm it is. 

Gotta skip Destiny 2 -.-

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

lol

Oh yeah, we're getting Coffee Lake this year...

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lake-8th-gen-official-announcement-21-august-launch/

Around the Network

The top i3 having 8 threads makes very little sense given the i5 having 6 threads. Yeah, those are real cores versus mere hyperthreading, but given how Intel processors scale on multithreaded benchmarks with hyperthreading, the i5 Coffee Lake should be much closer to the i3 than the i7 at the same clocks.

haxxiy said:
The top i3 having 8 threads makes very little sense given the i5 having 6 threads. Yeah, those are real cores versus mere hyperthreading, but given how Intel processors scale on multithreaded benchmarks with hyperthreading, the i5 Coffee Lake should be much closer to the i3 than the i7 at the same clocks.

I actually thought the i3 was gonna get 3 cores/ 6 threads, however instead they're getting 4 cores/ 8 threads & non-hyperthreading to compete Ryzen 3 1200/1300X as well as Ryzen 5 1400.

Edit: I'm not sure about the price and performance, we'll see about this when they announced...

fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

Of course Microsoft sits on top of the food chain.

Also. NEC used to build graphics chips, Intel even licensed them at one point, same with Number Nine, they hold multiple patents in graphics technologies, including parts of the rendering pipeline that Direct X leans upon.

And no. They can't just tell S3 to "take a hike". Because patents and licensing agreements.
Even successive technologies like Direct X Texture Compression uses licensing from S3 as it was based around and improved upon over S3 Texture Compression.

And you are right, S3TC does expire soon.

You're right, NEC did design a graphics chip and it was licensed by Intel in 1982 but that was a one time deal before DirectX (1995) was even created! (They might've held patents before but I imagine those are already expired since they didn't quite make it to the 21st century in the videocard market and Intel designed their own graphics chips shortly thereafter so I doubt NEC had a say in the DirectX specs.) 

The main players (AMD, Intel, Nvidia) have already licensed S3TC so Microsoft doesn't need S3 graphics anymore and they won't be able to bully new players (Qualcomm, I'll be interested in knowing how they'll perform in 32-bit Windows games with high CPU emulation overhead) anymore either (such is the tragedy of being expendable) ... 

The golden days of patenting computer graphics technology is over (I imagine we've still yet to see peak for other fields such as biotechnology) ... (the last big patented computer graphics technology appears to be hardware implementation for conservative rasterization and Volta's independent thread scheduling) 

Microsoft may not need S3 graphics anymore. But it is still supporting their technologies even in Direct X 12.
Besides. You are missing the entire point of this.

I was providing examples of where hardware manufacturers contributed to the Direct X specification. Nitpicking at a few edge-case scenarios isn't changing that fact.

As for Qualcomm. They likely license AMD's technologies and patents anyway.
ADRENO is a word play on "Radeon". - And Qualcomm bought the technology from AMD in the first place.

As for patenting computer graphics technology? Nope. Still happening. G-Sync, PhysX, Hairworks and so on are examples. Might not be happening at the same rates as it used to during the 3D boom, but it's still occuring.

Not sure I see a problem with rebadging since that's mostly dependent on how frequent microachitecture designs are ... (AMD created 4 more graphics architectures since GCN and for Nvidia 4 more graphics achitectures since Kepler so AMD is pushing out new graphics architectures just as often as Nvidia is. Moreover it looks like AMD has stopped rebadging this round since their new baseline appears to be Vega all around with Vega 10, 11, 12 and Raven Ridge.)

It is a big issue.

AMD hasn't created "4x more graphics architectures since GCN".
Graphics Core Next 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on... Are all just iterative updates of GCN 1.0. They aren't brand new top-to-bottom designs.

Not only that, but AMD is rebadging GCN 1.0 parts from 2012 even today with the Radeon RX 520 and 530.

And by rebadging those parts, they miss out on some vital functionality... Their Tessellation performance is laughable, they have no Delta Colour Compression, no True Audio, no power saving and power state enhancements, no HEVC decoding, no HDMI 2.0... And if I remember correctly, also no 10-bit colour support, no Virtual Super Resolution... And I could go on, but I made my point.

As for Vega... Vega is just the GPU on top of the Radeon RX 500 stack. It is what Fury was to the Radeon 300 series.

AMD needs Eric Demers (he works at Qualcomm) back  ... (Raja Koduri isn't going to be their Jim Keller of GPUs)

Agreed.

But part of the issue is... AMD only made the Radeon group an independent entity again just a couple years ago, they are still abiding by their old plan, we won't see the fruits of AMD's seperate of the Radeon group for another year or two.

AMD needs to invest. Not just iterate.

nVidia has done an excellent job innovating even without any real competition... And that has paid off for them.

It's less of a rarity than you think, practically all current AMD (GCN3+) and Intel graphics (Gen 8+) support FP16 in addition to PS4 Pro

Just because they support FP16, doesn't mean there will be any gains with it over FP32.
The amount of GPU's available with double FP16 is miniscule. And then if you compare those GPU's with Steams statistics... Well. You get the point.

Even if the implementation is not double rate, FP16 can still benefit from register savings thus increasing occupancy and performance ...

Then the performance gains will likely not be worth it for the significantly reduced precision.

You seem to think that the industry is centered around Nvidia but Nvidia's only big when you look at Windows PCs however that's not so for other vendors (Apple, Sony, Xbox) or integrated graphics (where Nvidia has 0% marketshare over there) all of which takes devs a considerable portion of their attention ...

On the contrary. That isn't what I think.

Apple isn't doing high-end AAA games in any great extent anyway.

QUAKECore89 said:

I actually thought the i3 was gonna get 3 cores/ 6 threads, however instead they're getting 4 cores/ 8 threads & non-hyperthreading to compete Ryzen 3 1200/1300X as well as Ryzen 5 1400.

Edit: I'm not sure about the price and performance, we'll see about this when they announced...

Dual cores needed to die like 5+ years ago anyway... Haha

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

The i9 7900X seems like a nice upgrade to a 6850K.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.