By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:

You'll be happy to read this:

It's probably going to be Nvidia only since I think it's using a specific extension ... 

I hear how OpenGL is cross-compatible all the time on the OS and hardware side when that is FAR from the truth and the same likely applies to Vulkan too ... 

OpenGL support is awful on Apple systems and they won't even think about shipping Vulkan drivers. The KMD's from hardware vendors aren't even the same on Windows or Linux so that very same GPU that has Vulkan support on Windows can't guarantee Vulkan support on Linux. There's tons more asymmetry on the mobile side too ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
JEMC said:

You'll be happy to read this:

It's probably going to be Nvidia only since I think it's using a specific extension ... 

I hear how OpenGL is cross-compatible all the time on the OS and hardware side when that is FAR from the truth and the same likely applies to Vulkan too ... 

OpenGL support is awful on Apple systems and they won't even think about shipping Vulkan drivers. The KMD's from hardware vendors aren't even the same on Windows or Linux so that very same GPU that has Vulkan support on Windows can't guarantee Vulkan support on Linux. There's tons more asymmetry on the mobile side too ... 

I really hope that's not the case, as I hate those kind of tricks.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

The DOOM gameplay demo shown by NVIDIA was running at 1080P. Why 1080P? Because that’s the limitation of the video wall NVIDIA was using at their event as reported by TweakTown.

That's a bad excuse not to show 4k performance when they have been promoting DSR (downsampling) for almost 2 years.

Conina said:
JEMC said:

The DOOM gameplay demo shown by NVIDIA was running at 1080P. Why 1080P? Because that’s the limitation of the video wall NVIDIA was using at their event as reported by TweakTown.

That's a bad excuse not to show 4k performance when they have been promoting DSR (downsampling) for almost 2 years.

They must have run out of ideas .

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

What tricks ? It was Nvidia engineers who ported Doom over to Vulkan with their own specific technology so why wouldn't they be exclusively rewarding Nvidia owners ? 

Around the Network
JEMC said:

What tricks ? It was Nvidia engineers who ported Doom over to Vulkan with their own specific technology so why wouldn't they be exclusively rewarding Nvidia owners ? 

I didn't know it was Nvidia who did the port, I thought it was id with the interested help of Nvidia.

Still, the reason to make this kind of things is less about doing something for their customers, and more about making the competition look bad. And while that is legitimate, it's moraly debatable.

JEMC said:

I didn't know it was Nvidia who did the port, I thought it was id with the interested help of Nvidia.

Still, the reason to make this kind of things is less about doing something for their customers, and more about making the competition look bad. And while that is legitimate, it's moraly debatable.

How exactly does this make the competition look bad when all of these things exist to differentiate from them ? 

You don't exactly see people saying that Mantle or PhysX makes the competition look bad, do you ?

JEMC said:

How exactly does this make the competition look bad when all of these things exist to differentiate from them ? 

You don't exactly see people saying that Mantle or PhysX makes the competition look bad, do you ?

Unfortunately, I did. And by the people who praised PhysX and now GameWorks. But those are a minority, luckily.

And this makes the competition look bad becuase if the Vulkan mode is only available to Nvidia cards, it makes the competition look as less capable, which I have nothing against if it's true and it's the devs who have done it, but I don't like it when it comes from Nvidia.

So with the BF1 reveal they made previous BF games cheaper on Origin. I decided to go grab the base game of BF4 for 10 eruos, spent an hr downloading and booting it up only to find they are still using the damn web browser as the way to look for MP matches and SP, took me nearly 10 mins to get into a single match from the UK for some reason and then Germany despite me not downloading anything and my net being great. When I finally got into a match I was promptly killed over the course of 15 minutes with only 3 kills on the UK map, 4 on the one from Germany.

I honestly don't think I'll get the next Battlefield due to this, I'm honestly not some super twitchy eagle eyes teenager or someone who spends every waking hour trying to master the weapons or 360 twitch scope someone in an instant, the skill level and plenty of vet players are just simply better than me and it honestly feels like a crappy experience when I can't land enough kills and just die within a few seconds of spawning near teams or bases, with Overwatch I've had a fun time, even with that game also having some decent speed on it's gameplay, I haven't died a million times over during the few days of playing Beta but in 15-20 mins of BF4 I've died a lot.

I should probably just buy military shooters for the titles that contain worthwhile stories because I sure as hell won't have much fun with all the noise and super twitch players breathing down my neck.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

BasilZero said:

Still waiting for a Mass effect sale so I can buy ME3 :(!

I long for the day where they just pull out a proper Steam like Sale where everything goes dirt cheap for like a single week, though most of what they have on there isn't what I'm interested in or I already own let alone a few shit ports.

Also I think I might dive back into BF4 again, last night I admit I had a few rounds of cider so I likely wasn't as alert as I am now.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"