By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

AMD UDNA to unify gaming and data-center GPU architectures, successor to RDNA and CDNA

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-udna-to-unify-gaming-and-data-center-gpu-architectures-successor-to-rdna-and-cdna

About time, splitting up RDNA and CDNA was probably a big drain on resources for AMD as programmers and developers had tpo pull double duty to get both functioning.

The worst part is that they chose the worst time to make the split from GCN to RDNA+CDNA. GCN was a very capable compute architecture, which was kind of useless back then and took die space for more shaders, so they went and removed it... just when Nvidia launched added their compute heavy Tensor cores in their gaming GPUs, paving the way for DLSS and Ray Tracing.

If AMD had waited one extra gen, they would have had something to match or one-up Nvidia. But they didn't, and it has hurt them.

We'll see how long it takes for the merge, likely a couple of generations given how long they start planning new architectures before they become an actual product, and what does this merge bring to the table.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

About time, splitting up RDNA and CDNA was probably a big drain on resources for AMD as programmers and developers had tpo pull double duty to get both functioning.

The worst part is that they chose the worst time to make the split from GCN to RDNA+CDNA. GCN was a very capable compute architecture, which was kind of useless back then and took die space for more shaders, so they went and removed it... just when Nvidia launched added their compute heavy Tensor cores in their gaming GPUs, paving the way for DLSS and Ray Tracing.

If AMD had waited one extra gen, they would have had something to match or one-up Nvidia. But they didn't, and it has hurt them.

We'll see how long it takes for the merge, likely a couple of generations given how long they start planning new architectures before they become an actual product, and what does this merge bring to the table.

From what I understood, RDNA4 will be the last RDNA before UDNA. So they're certainly already working hard on it.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

From what I understood, RDNA4 will be the last RDNA before UDNA. So they're certainly already working hard on it.

RDNA5 will be the last one. It's probably the next-gen console architecture (even though they're still ~ 4 years away), so it's likely being developed for a while already.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
JEMC said:

My comment came from the Tom's Hardware article:

Tom's Hardware [TH], Paul Alcorn: So, with UDNA bringing those architectures back together, will all of that still be backward compatible with the RDNA and the CDNA split?

JH: So, one of the things we want to do is ...we made some mistakes with the RDNA side; each time we change the memory hierarchy, the subsystem, it has to reset the matrix on the optimizations. I don't want to do that.

So, going forward, we’re thinking about not just RDNA 5, RDNA 6, RDNA 7, but UDNA 6 and UDNA 7. We plan the next three generations because once we get the optimizations, I don't want to have to change the memory hierarchy, and then we lose a lot of optimizations. So, we're kind of forcing that issue about full forward and backward compatibility. We do that on Xbox today; it’s very doable but requires advanced planning. It’s a lot more work to do, but that’s the direction we’re going.

But I hope haxxiy is right as that unification would take way too much time.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

That still did mention just RDNA5, and we know from MS's leaked documents that it exists.

Regardless, make no mistake, this is just a way of saying adios to RDNA and having all that R&D money going into CDNA instead. AMD will have to build their whole graphics thing back from where Vega left it.

Around the Network

The Crew 2 is $1 on Steam.

Btw Crew 1 was delisted earlier in the year and no longer playable because its completely online (was in this case).

However today they announced that Crew 2 and Crew Motorfest which were online only will now feature a offline mode.

AMD Debuts New SoC With 60 Compute Units, Faster GDDR6 Memory, Advanced Raytracing & PSSR AI Upscaling In PlayStation 5 Pro

https://wccftech.com/amd-new-soc-60-compute-units-faster-gddr6-memory-advanced-raytracing-pssr-ai-upscaling-playstation-5-pro/

Sony PlayStation 5 Pro costs $699, launches November 7

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-pro-specs-release-date/

$700 USD for a console is insane. Shit is still paired with zen 2, doesn't come with the bluray drive nor does it come with a stand as they cost extra. Absolutely nuts.

I suppose if Nvidia is allowed to release a 4090 for $1600 thanks to no competition, Sony is figuring that with xbox dead and Nintendo targeting different market, those that want a "pro" console will pay a high price. But man, it feels like at this point, just build a PC since it's multi-purpose and it will have first party PS titles eventually lol. And if you go Nvidia, you will likely have RDNA 4 ray tracing levels already depending on the gpu.

AMD confirms Krackan Zen5 & RDNA3.5 APU will be released in early 2025

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-confirms-krackan-zen5-rdna3-5-apu-will-be-released-in-early-2025

AMD announces 10.10 “Advancing AI 2024” event: EPYC Turin, Instinct MI325X and Ryzen AI 300 PRO

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-10-10-advancing-ai-2024-event-epyc-turin-instinct-mi325x-and-ryzen-ai-300-pro

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Sony probably still thinks it's got the mic drop price reveal in it's pocket, but man:

For real though, no stand, no disc drive, just slightly better RT and 45% "uplift", even though when you choose Graphics mode, you're still getting kneecapped in the shins at 30fps in 2024.

The cost cutting around the corners is so evident at this point. Console is literally being sold to you piece by piece. What's next?, you have to pay for the SSD?, the gamepad sold separately?. 

Getting a PC at this point is more plausible than it ever has been. You also won't be paying to play online, and you'll be getting games from both Sony & Xbox (emulation that also doesn't cost money, NINTENDO).

Last edited by Chazore - on 11 September 2024

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

It really is such a ludicrous decision by Sony. Majority of the components are so dang cheap now other than the GPU and yea it's 60 compute units but come on. There is no way that aren't getting that for pennies on the dollar. This feels like a maximum greed decision since they know xbox has cuckholded themselves since Xbox One and Nintendo is in a different universe. It really is one of those "Do you want a playstation or pc?"

Outside of GTA VI for a year, there is legit nothing that I could give any shits about when it comes to playstation this generation lol.