By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Alan Wake 2 PC requirements

Visuals do look good but man, the entry level to hit decent image quality and framerates are so darn high. CPU requirements are fairly low, topping out with the 3700X. Also think theres a small typo with the 1080P and 1440P tags swapped around on recommended settings. But yeah, 6700XT at 1440P at performance settings is pretty rough indeed. PT too with fairly low DLSS settings to keep up 60 fps, even on 4080.

Around the Network

4070/7800XT 1080p Raster cards while 4080 is a 1080p Ray Tracing card for Alan Wake 2 is pretty brutal. 6700xt/3070 is like sub 720p render resolution lol. Least the CPU requirements aren't retarded.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:

By the way, PCGamer has published its review of the game: https://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-2-review/

They've given it a 77 compared to the 86 of the first one.

I saw the review yesterday, and I'm not sure what to think of it. The game absolutely deserves to lose a lot of points for its performance, but beyond that, it feels like some fairly minor issues, depending on your expectations (I wouldn't personally expect the base game to beat 8 years of updates and DLC, period, and the game will probably feel lacking in the detailing department, if that's your thing). Additionally, there's nothing indicating they actually built a very large city at any point, so feels like... a rushed review for what could arguably be called a rushed game.

I saw some other reviews as well, and performance excluded, it felt like there were relatively few common issues between different reviews. I guess different people have different expectations and wants, and it's showing here even more than usually.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

4070/7800XT 1080p Raster cards while 4080 is a 1080p Ray Tracing card for Alan Wake 2 is pretty brutal. 6700xt/3070 is like sub 720p render resolution lol. Least the CPU requirements aren't retarded.

Yeah something tells me games not that well optimised for PC lol. Still going to play and enjoy but damn.. wtf remedy.  Upscaling used more like a crutch these days.

Last edited by hinch - on 20 October 2023

I think AW2 has PT, so maybe that's that.

Around the Network
Conina said:
JEMC said:

The Friday news, part two:

The upcoming Assassin's Creed VR game looks genuinely cool if you can keep yourself from throwing up
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-upcoming-assassins-creed-vr-game-looks-genuinely-cool-if-you-can-keep-yourself-from-throwing-up/

AC VR? Hopefully with full roomscale... like the old Kinect version:

*vid*

You've got to give Ubi some credit: they're always open to try/support new things.

I don't recommend doing some of those moves wearing a VR headset.

hinch said:

Visuals do look good but man, the entry level to hit decent image quality and framerates are so darn high. CPU requirements are fairly low, topping out with the 3700X. Also think theres a small typo with the 1080P and 1440P tags swapped around on recommended settings. But yeah, 6700XT at 1440P at performance settings is pretty rough indeed. PT too with fairly low DLSS settings to keep up 60 fps, even on 4080.

Thanks for sharing.

And yes, those GPU requirements are quite brutal, but Remedy always go hard on the graphics, so it's not that surprising. I wonder how the game will perform on consoles.

Zkuq said:
JEMC said:

By the way, PCGamer has published its review of the game: https://www.pcgamer.com/cities-skylines-2-review/

They've given it a 77 compared to the 86 of the first one.

I saw the review yesterday, and I'm not sure what to think of it. The game absolutely deserves to lose a lot of points for its performance, but beyond that, it feels like some fairly minor issues, depending on your expectations (I wouldn't personally expect the base game to beat 8 years of updates and DLC, period, and the game will probably feel lacking in the detailing department, if that's your thing). Additionally, there's nothing indicating they actually built a very large city at any point, so feels like... a rushed review for what could arguably be called a rushed game.

I saw some other reviews as well, and performance excluded, it felt like there were relatively few common issues between different reviews. I guess different people have different expectations and wants, and it's showing here even more than usually.

In my opinion, some of the criticisms of PCGamer review are valid, like the lack of details and that the city feels empty or lifeless, while others are uncalled for, like having to restart his 45K people city because his fps dropped to "a choppy 30 fps" when zooming in.

My biggest concern is that it's a Paradox game. The first one was a bit of a gamble and launched being a finished game that, because of its success, was extended and improved with its many DLCs. But this second one may have being developed with DLCs in mind and, as such, some content may have been left out on purpose to be part of a DLC, like the lack of decorations content and small parks.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

haxxiy said:

I think AW2 has PT, so maybe that's that.

Good point, it actually says so in the specs. I'm actually amazed that current GPUs can run path tracing at all. As far as I know, proper path tracing is like the Holy Grail of rendering. I'm sure games must find some kind of shortcuts to achieve path tracing, but path tracing ought to not be an easy task in general.

JEMC said:
Zkuq said:

In my opinion, some of the criticisms of PCGamer review are valid, like the lack of details and that the city feels empty or lifeless, while others are uncalled for, like having to restart his 45K people city because his fps dropped to "a choppy 30 fps" when zooming in.

My biggest concern is that it's a Paradox game. The first one was a bit of a gamble and launched being a finished game that, because of its success, was extended and improved with its many DLCs. But this second one may have being developed with DLCs in mind and, as such, some content may have been left out on purpose to be part of a DLC, like the lack of decorations content and small parks.

I agree, I just personally feel like they are fairly minor issues, but that's subjective, I suppose. I have my (non-performance) concerns as well, although they've been greatly alleviated in the recent weeks, whereas some people have concerns that are actually really a really big deal for them.

I have concerns regarding DLC as well. I think the game seems really solid in general (in regard to feeling complete), but I'm not convinced about asset variety, which definitely hints at DLC. Additionally, I can definitely see there being room for a lot of DLC. The major areas the game seems to actually be lacking in are asset variety, detailing tools, bikes, and more map themes (and vegetation to go with them), I'd say. I'm expecting at least some of those to come as free updates, but since this is Paradox we're talking about, you can't really count on that... Anyway, that's the lacking areas, and then there's definitely going to be other DLC that adds new thing you can't really say should have been in the base game (although I'm sure some people will disagree).

hinch said:

I don't think they're actually swapped, it's 1440/30fps and 1080/60fps.

HoloDust said:

I don't think they're actually swapped, it's 1440/30fps and 1080/60fps.

Ah missed that part. Still some crazy high requirements and super low base res.

Last edited by hinch - on 21 October 2023