By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

JEMC said:

I never understood why Epic bought the music company

Maybe an attempt to streamline music licenses for Unreal projects, perhaps including a good number of royalty free options too. Guess we'll never know.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
JEMC said:

I never understood why Epic bought the music coimpany, soI'm not surprised to learn that they're selling it.

As for the people fired, I wish them the best.

The reasoning was they were trying to put the music into their hands for creators to use in a marketplace. That didnt pan out well because they ended up paying the creators more than they were making back from it - at least from what I heard.

Youtube started doing something like it you can say recently with Youtube Shorts.

Thanks you.

It doesn't really makes much sense to spend all that money given that, according to Epic, it was a low-er margin business, tho it remains to be seen what did Epic use for that comparison.

TallSilhouette said:
JEMC said:

Maybe an attempt to streamline music licenses for Unreal projects, perhaps including a good number of royalty free options too. Guess we'll never know.

I'd argue that licensing the rights would be far cheaper than buying the whole platform, more so given that it's an indie focused one which may, or may not have many known hits, but I'm no business man so what would I know.

I guess we could learn more in some years when the NDAs expire.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

No wonder Herkelmen abandoned ship. Good luck fighting against this Monster

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

It makes sense, 144 SMs to 192 SMs and 24 GB to 32 GB for the GB202 vs. the AD102. A neat 33% increase on both counts.

I wonder if we'll have a 5090 with ~160 SMs and a 5090 Ti with ~184 SMs instead of just a 5090 with ~170 enabled SMs. The gap to the next tier is too big right now, but maybe the GB203 will be comparatively bigger vs. the AD103. Maybe even 128 SMs for the full chip to match the 4090 (though such a step up in the same tier seems uncharacteristic of Nvidia as of late).

Also, finally bought the GPU today, felt my soul being sucked out of my body due to the price, but otherwise all is well and accounted for now.

haxxiy said:

It makes sense, 144 SMs to 192 SMs and 24 GB to 32 GB for the GB202 vs. the AD102. A neat 33% increase on both counts.

I wonder if we'll have a 5090 with ~160 SMs and a 5090 Ti with ~184 SMs instead of just a 5090 with ~170 enabled SMs. The gap to the next tier is too big right now, but maybe the GB203 will be comparatively bigger vs. the AD103. Maybe even 128 SMs for the full chip to match the 4090 (though such a step up in the same tier seems uncharacteristic of Nvidia as of late).

Also, finally bought the GPU today, felt my soul being sucked out of my body due to the price, but otherwise all is well and accounted for now.

Congrats! What's the specs?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

haxxiy said:

Asus TUF Mobo + Ryzen 7800X3D + Asus TUF RTX 4090 + 32 GB Corsair RAM

The motherboard and the RAM aren't exactly enthusiast-class as the rest but the markup for these components where I live is an absurd ~ 100% compared to North American prices.

That's a lot of people to be firing. EGS is probably be the cause if I had to guess.

The most tone deaf shit I've seen from a CEO this yr:

Also:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/fortnite-is-increasing-the-price-of-v-bucks/1100-6518038/

I heard a good chunk of the layoffs are from Fall Guys, but I've yet to get it from a concrete source. Either way, very shitty (especially when Epic bitched at Apple over Vbuck transactions, and even after all that they still rise the prices now of all times). 

it's so weird how Valve releases CS2, gets some praise (I know it's mixed, but CS fans are their own creature I've yet to understand), and Epic lays off 16% staff, while also raising Vbuck prices. Epic literally ends up doing the opposite Valve does every time each of them does something near enough the same time something happens. 

Also the bandcamp part doesn't surprise me, especially considering how Bandcamp decided to unionise against Epic, and I know damn well that Timmy dislikes unions, so letting those folks go and replacing them with non union members wouldn't surprise me. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

TallSilhouette said:
JEMC said:

That's more or elss the reason I thought of when Epic bought out Art station/bandcamp.

Buyout the music company to allow for Unreal project integration, and buyout the art venue to siphon artistic talent and also push Unreal Engine tools/offers to get artists adopting it early, or getting into game design proper.

Either way, I see them buying those two as a means to generally siphon talent directly into Unreal projects and UE itself, while also dissuading talent to go anywhere else (No sane person would buy those two and tell them not to work for their company and instead tell them to go with unity).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

BasilZero said:
JEMC said:

I never understood why Epic bought the music coimpany, soI'm not surprised to learn that they're selling it.

As for the people fired, I wish them the best.

The reasoning was they were trying to put the music into their hands for creators to use in a marketplace. That didnt pan out well because they ended up paying the creators more than they were making back from it - at least from what I heard.

Youtube started doing something like it you can say recently with Youtube Shorts.

Also didn't help when Epic was trying to stamp down on them during their formation of a union:

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/bandcamp-employees-accuse-ceo-of-union-busting-ahead-of-nlrb-hearing

haxxiy said:

Asus TUF Mobo + Ryzen 7800X3D + Asus TUF RTX 4090 + 32 GB Corsair RAM

The motherboard and the RAM aren't exactly enthusiast-class as the rest but the markup for these components where I live is an absurd ~ 100% compared to North American prices.

Jeez here I thought I was gonna be the only one getting a 4090 when I originally bought it. But it's like half the people that visit this thread went for a 4090 lol. Awesome build though, congrats and welcome to the "90 Class" club!