By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Actually I have a 4080 and a 4K monitor. I put the game in english so you will understand what I meant :

So I put the resolution scaling at 200%. I don't know if it's real 8K but the image is crazy good. Unfortunatly there is no DLSS in this game. 

On the Nvidia panel (?) I put the DSR at 4.00x so I can also do the same thing on FFXIII-2 right now.

------------------------

I wanted to show you a cool filter that gives a cell shading like image (à la Borderlands) but it's only for multiplayer :

Around the Network

Ah, yes. Downsampling.

Nvidia came up with it (well, it copied it from a modder or modders, I don't remember) years ago, when the difference between the power of GPUs and consoles was so big that Nvidia had to come up with new features to keep selling cards.

It faded a bit away as games became more demanding until Nvidia brought it back with DSR.

And in theory yes, it's 8K. The game is rendered at 8K resolution and then it's scaled down to your 4K, resulting in a sharper image quality, making the games look even better.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

Ah, yes. Downsampling.

Nvidia came up with it (well, it copied it from a modder or modders, I don't remember) years ago, when the difference between the power of GPUs and consoles was so big that Nvidia had to come up with new features to keep selling cards.

It faded a bit away as games became more demanding until Nvidia brought it back with DSR.

And in theory yes, it's 8K. The game is rendered at 8K resolution and then it's scaled down to your 4K, resulting in a sharper image quality, making the games look even better.

Ah I see. Thank you for explaination.

Persona 5 Royal also run very well à 200% but the game clearly needs less ressources so it makes sense.

DLDSR is a cool feature if you have headroom on your GPU either on less demanding older games or even newer games if your like me and lock at 60 fps and pump up the visuals as much as you can.

JEMC said:

Ah, yes. Downsampling.

Downsampling is the same thing as supersampling anti-aliasing, which used to be very common in DX9 PC games. 4x SSAA = 200% virtual resolution.

I think the last time I saw it was with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

The main difference is that SSAA didn't upscale the UI while virtual resolution downsampling affects the entire image, and it could be applied to games that didn't support SSAA (at the expense of some UI artifacts for the aforementioned reasons). It makes sense that it would be a mod before it ended up as a driver feature.

Around the Network
-Adonis- said:

Actually I have a 4080 and a 4K monitor. I put the game in english so you will understand what I meant :

So I put the resolution scaling at 200%. I don't know if it's real 8K but the image is crazy good. Unfortunatly there is no DLSS in this game. 

On the Nvidia panel (?) I put the DSR at 4.00x so I can also do the same thing on FFXIII-2 right now.

------------------------

I wanted to show you a cool filter that gives a cell shading like image (à la Borderlands) but it's only for multiplayer :

Ah okay, you're downsampling from 8k to 4k. In essence, that's basically 4x Ordered Grid Supersampling Anti-aliasing (OGSSAA). Supersampling generally gives the best possible picture quality (and fights flickering too), but at a very hefty price in terms of performance, hence why other forms of AA got developed in the last 20 years.

edit: haxxiy ninja'ed me

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 13 July 2023

WoodenPints said:

DLDSR is a cool feature if you have headroom on your GPU either on less demanding older games or even newer games if your like me and lock at 60 fps and pump up the visuals as much as you can.

Exactly.

Ah since we are on the subject, I have a difficult question... Gears 5, FFXIII-2 and Persona Royal don't have DLSS.

But for Lost Judgment, I use Quality DLSS and put the "resolution" at 5760x3240... so what's the real definition there lol ? If you mix up DLSS technology with Downscaling...

haxxiy said:
JEMC said:

Ah, yes. Downsampling.

Downsampling is the same thing as supersampling anti-aliasing, which used to be very common in DX9 PC games. 4x SSAA = 200% virtual resolution.

I think the last time I saw it was with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

The main difference is that SSAA didn't upscale the UI while virtual resolution downsampling affects the entire image, and it could be applied to games that didn't support SSAA (at the expense of some UI artifacts for the aforementioned reasons). It makes sense that it would be a mod before it ended up as a driver feature.

Thanks for the more in-depth comment.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

-Adonis- said:
zero129 said:

Dont be worried about Ms, be worried about Sony and their shitty practice of holding games from PC for a year or more and paying 3rd party's like SE to do the same.

This deal is great for me and many other users. Xbox games including now Activision ones are finally going to be coming back to Geforce now (the best streaming service). all them games are also going to be on Gamepass, the games are going to be going back to a Nintendo console (Ms has shown great support for Nintendo). All them games are finally most likely going to come back to Steam!. Heck if your a Pc gamer and not a Sony fan this deal is great!. I can understand how anyone who is a Sony fan might be worried.

?

Have you read my message ? This is exactly what I said.

You need to relax, all these rich brands that you love makes you very hateful.

Your right im sorry i was drinking and misread your part about Sony buying SE.

That is the one thing im worried about with this too, is that Sony will go on a buying spree and then we all know it means them games will be locked away from pc for 1 year or more.