By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea but obviously this means a worse cooler will get lower clocks which will get worse performance than in their benchmarks. 7600X running at 93C with a 360 AIO isn't exactly a good thing not to mention, the room will get hotter more quickly than previous gens. The fact that a 5800X3D runs cooler than a 7600X while delivering similar performance + having two extra cores is crazy.

I'll wait for the other tests from HU before I judge the chips. Having the entry-level chip, the 7600X, beat the 5800X3D (a more expensive CPU, though if you have the Mobo and Ram still a cheaper upgrade), is nothing to scoff at.

Again, I wonder why on LTT the 5800X3D stood out so much in some reviews when it got beaten or was just marginally in front at HU in those same games with a weaker CPU.

Entry level chip that had a 360 AIO to get the higher than expected clocks you mean... And yes, I would expect the newer entry level chip to beat the last gen high end chips... That's how it's always been. The problem this time around is how little the performance has improved while requiring an expensive upgrade. And if you believe there's going to be much of a difference between low end chips and high end chips, all you need to do is look at how close the 5000 series are... If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if the higher tier chips perform worse with the same cooler because they are harder to cool thus gaining lower clocks.

And yea, the LTT benches did stand out with the 5800X3D scores but their benches also showed the 7000 series very handily beating 12900k which is also different than what many other reviewers show as well. So idk... Other than them being weird.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
hinch said:

Feels like a Zen+ moment. And not that impressive once you factor in the cost of upgrading your whole system.

The 5800X3D is still a beast.. will be upgrading to that and that'll be me done for the next few years.

I think it's much worse than a Zen+ moment because of the platform upgrade cost. Zen+ was just meh in terms of performance but with Ryzen 7000... AMD is basically just asking you to pay $500+ on top of the CPU just to get almost the same gaming performance.

Yeah the cost is a tough pill to swallow for people buying into the lower end/mid range. With only expensive X670 motherboards available and DDR5 still a premium its not a great jump for PC gamers. It'll probably best to wait for for B650 boards, DDR5 price drops and X3D variant imo. Techpowerup did a comparison with several different CPU's gaming at 1440P.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-7900x/20.html

Productivity wise its a champ though.

Last edited by hinch - on 26 September 2022

I mean as good of an increase as these are when you see the 7600X is using 77W more than the 5600X and 34W more than the 5800X3D is it really that good of a jump? I don't really think so personally.

If all you do is game the 5800X3D is still going to be king for the foreseeable future since you don't need a new motherboard + DDR5 on top of the CPU price.

WoodenPints said:

I mean as good of an increase as these are when you see the 7600X is using 77W more than the 5600X and 34W more than the 5800X3D is it really that good of a jump? I don't really think so personally.

If all you do is game the 5800X3D is still going to be king for the foreseeable future since you don't need a new motherboard + DDR5 on top of the CPU price.

6 core 12 thread cpu using similar wattage to the 16 core 32 thread 5950x? What in the fuck

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

WoodenPints said:

To bring some context to the numbers, the Techspot review also claims better productivity, on par or better than the 5800X that uses the same power, and also better much gaming performance:

Meanwhile, TechPowerUp's review puts it using 16W more in productivity and 4W more in gaming than the 5600X.

Right now, the numbers change a lot from one review to another. I'd even say that they change too much, there's something not right.

All in all, from the little I've had time to read/see, I'd say that:

• Productivity: 7000 is the best. No discussions here
  • Efficiency: 5000 series is still the way to go, apparently
  • Gaming: the 7000 series is better than the regular 5000 one, but when you mix the 5800X3d and Alder Lake, things get complicated. Varies from one review to another

So yeah, for those already on AM4, it's better to go 5800X3D if your mobo has had the update to do so. For Alder Lake users, no point changing. For anyone building a new system from scratch, AM4 is a dead end and we know Intels' s1700 only has Rocket Lake. AM5 is the only platform that has future, even if it's the most expensive.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

A couple more things:

Remember the problem in games in Win11 witn Nvidia from last week? Well, Nvidia has already issued a fix, in Beta. Learn more here: https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/low-performance-after-windows-11-2022-update-here-is-a-solve.html

And Guru3D also has a Zen4 and DDR5 scaling article, using the 7700X with 3 RAM settings: 6000 CL30, 5200 CL40 and 4800 CL42.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/ddr5-ryzen-7-7700-ddr5-memory-scaling-review,1.html

Last edited by JEMC - on 26 September 2022

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
WoodenPints said:

To bring some context to the numbers, the Techspot review also claims better productivity, on par or better than the 5800X that uses the same power, and also better much gaming performance:

Meanwhile, TechPowerUp's review puts it using 16W more in productivity and 4W more in gaming than the 5600X.

Right now, the numbers change a lot from one review to another. I'd even say that they change too much, there's something not right.

• Gaming: the 7000 series is better than the regular 5000 one, but when you mix the 5800X3d and Alder Lake, things get complicated. Varies from one review to another

So yeah, for those already on AM4, it's better to go 5800X3D if your mobo has had the update to do so. For Alder Lake users, no point changing. For anyone building a new system from scratch, AM4 is a dead end and we know Intels' s1700 only has Rocket Lake. AM5 is the only platform that has future, even if it's the most expensive.

Yea a few of my friends were thinking to upgrade as some of them have 3600 and 2700x. After seeing the reviews, they are going to 5800X3D and spend the money they saved on 3080 Ti or 3090 that are getting pretty heavily discounted. Sad that after the crypto boom finally crashed, the new GPUs/CPUs are so overpriced that last generation parts are still the better buy. Hopefully next time around, we will see better priced products from these companies.

JEMC said:

Thats looks better they have the 7600X basically the same as 5800X3D in Power usage for gaming.

Who wants one of 3 RTX 4090?

*** NEW CONTEST ***

NVIDIA and CD Projekt Red are giving away GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs with custom Cyberpunk 2077 backplate
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-and-cd-projekt-red-are-giving-away-geforce-rtx-4090-gpus-with-custom-cyberpunk-2077-backplate

NVIDIA and CD Projekt Red have teamed up for a special contest related to Cyberpunk 2077. This game has seen its ups and downs, but it’s now becoming one of the most popular games on Steam thanks to a popular TV series on Netflix called Edgerunners.

Gamers will now have a chance to win three GeForce RTX 4090 cards with a custom Cyberpunk 2077 backplate. CD Project Red will be sharing clues on official CB2077 Twitter, supposedly with the task to take special in-game screenshots. The most creative ones will be awarded with the prize, one of the three RTX 4090 cards.

According to the contest rules, there will be 3 challengers, each starting a different day. Two of the cards can be won before the RTX 4090 is even released (October 12th).

1. 1st Challenge – begins on 26.09.2022 and ends on 02.10.2022 23:59 CEST;
  2. 2nd Challenge – begins on 03.10.2022 and ends on 09.10.2022 23:59 CEST;
  3. 3rd Challenge – begins on 10.10.2022 and ends on 16.10.2022 23:59 CEST;

AMD's Value Problem: Ryzen 5 7600X CPU Review, Benchmarks, & Expensive Motherboards

Oof this is the first time GN has not recommended the R5 because of the pricing. He said he hasn't heard of a single motherboard launch below $300 USD. AMD did mention to him that the B series will have motherboards starting at $125 USD but he fears the quality because of the increased power requirements and such of the 7000 series.

Crazy how we went from 5600X which was as power efficient as a quad core 3300X to 7600X which requires almost as much power as 16 core 32 thread 5950x. While I am sure raptor lake will be even more nuts in terms of power, efficiency is clearly no longer a priority for any of these companies on desktop. I am looking forward to the laptop comparisons however since that is where we will see the biggest gains in performance per watt.