By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

The GTX 8800 was insane. 145 W of power consumption? A die over 400 mm2 that was so huge you had to split off the I/O?

If we had standards back then we would have had ~ 5 Teraflop cards 15 years ago.

Around the Network

I have 650 Gold PSU. What do i buy? 4060/50Ti, 7600XT or never releasing Intel ones?

Assuming there is stock this time.

AMD Zen 5 CPUs Might Get Delayed To 2024-2025 Due To TSMC’s Priority Allocation of 3nm Node To Intel & Apple

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-5-cpus-tsmc-3nm-2024-2025-delay-rumor/

Take it with a grain of salt but I do think that as if this generation was an indication of anything, future tech may not be won by the merits of performance and value but rather supply and demand.

ASUS Copies MSI, Launches Neon Genesis Evangelion Anime-Inspired Hardware Including Graphics Cards & Motherboards

https://wccftech.com/asus-copies-msi-launches-neon-genesis-evangelion-anime-inspired-hardware-including-graphics-cards-motherboards/

Jeez these look good

Prepare to sell your kidneys if you want one though

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

AMD Zen 5 CPUs Might Get Delayed To 2024-2025 Due To TSMC’s Priority Allocation of 3nm Node To Intel & Apple

Take it with a grain of salt but I do think that as if this generation was an indication of anything, future tech may not be won by the merits of performance and value but rather supply and demand.

ASUS Copies MSI, Launches Neon Genesis Evangelion Anime-Inspired Hardware Including Graphics Cards & Motherboards

https://wccftech.com/asus-copies-msi-launches-neon-genesis-evangelion-anime-inspired-hardware-including-graphics-cards-motherboards/

Jeez these look good

Prepare to sell your kidneys if you want one though

I want it all, but that wold require not only my organs, but my soul as well. May as well turn to tang at this point. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:

So Intel can now hinder AMD totally legally by not allowing their chips to get produced. Genius!

It really sucks for AMD. Why does TSMC give Intel a higher priority despite them being a new client and by then a competitor to boot since Intel want to become a fab for other by then, too?

Around the Network
green_sky said:

I have 650 Gold PSU. What do i buy? 4060/50Ti, 7600XT or never releasing Intel ones?

That's what it looks like, yes. Either that or get a new PSU with the card, but PSUs will also be in high demand because the higher power requirements of the new cards and the new PCI 5.0 connector necessary to power the new beasts.

Captain_Yuri said:

Couple that with Intel's head saying that he expects shortages to last until 2024 and yeah, it will suck for all for a while.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

green_sky said:

Personally if you are planning to commit to a higher end one, you should buy a Power Supply before the cards actually launch. I would obviously wait for the TDP numbers but the last thing you want is to pay a premium for a PSU due to PSU shortages and GPUs as well.

But on the other hand, the requirements of what is required to be a long lasting GPU will continue to go down as long as you aren't targeting 4k. A 2080 Super which had an msrp of $700 is what was required due to the power of consoles. Then with Ampere, a 3060 Ti is good enough which had an msrp of $400 and it's faster than a 2080 Super. So a 4060 might seem meh but assuming that's faster than 3060 Ti like how a 3060 is similar to a 2060 Super... Well if you play at 1440p, a 4060 is all you really need.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

So Intel can now hinder AMD totally legally by not allowing their chips to get produced. Genius!

It really sucks for AMD. Why does TSMC give Intel a higher priority despite them being a new client and by then a competitor to boot since Intel want to become a fab for other by then, too?

Yea that's the main issue with shortages in a competitive landscape. You either need truck loads of money to buy up supply or you need an architecture that will pull above it's weight despite being in a node deficit. And this will especially suck for consumers because regardless of how good the performance may be, datacenter will always get priority.

It's all about money. TSMC might favor AMD in a situation where AMD offering equivalent amount of money as other companies but Apple, Intel and probably Nvidia will probably offer copious amounts of money to ensure they have supply for their products.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

green_sky said:

If you have no interest in upgrading the rest of your system and just swapping out GPU. I'd get whatever 6 series from AMD/Nvidia tbh. The availability of these cards in the first several months from launch will be quite limited; due to high demand for new, mainstream cards. If you could stretch a bit more you might be able to get the 4060Ti; which should also be the upper end of what your PSU can handle. I'd wait for Nvidia/AMD's recommendations first though for power requirements.

As for intel's Arc. I would personally avoid. Intel seems to be having a problems with drivers and I wouldn't risk that tbh. Unless its cheap and works with games you play. But even then.. its a bit iffy.

Another option is wait for the new GPU's to come out and buy a cheaper Ampere card. You might be able to find a good deal on Ebay or something.

On another note, I wonder where the laptops with the Ryzen 6000 are? There have only been a couple that have been released by now despite the chips being really good by all accounts and tests so far.

My suspicion is that the Laptop OEMs have overproduced the Ryzen 5000 and Tiger Lake/Comet Lake Laptops because they got greedy during the pandemic and when the latter ended, they are sitting on a pile of unsold laptops now, and they only slowly release new laptops now.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

My suspicion is that the Laptop OEMs have overproduced the Ryzen 5000 and Tiger Lake/Comet Lake Laptops because they got greedy during the pandemic and when the latter ended, they are sitting on a pile of unsold laptops now, and they only slowly release new laptops now.

Probably that and they are/were cashing in on CPU and GPU's+servers.

Below, puts things into perspective. Just a couple years ago console warriors fighting over minuscule difference lol. Granted the top end ones from this year are $2000-3000 GPU's vs $500 1.5yo machine/s, but still progress is quite insane xD

Last edited by hinch - on 01 May 2022