By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Even five minutes is too much: Five Nights at Freddy's 2 launches

Comments3

I’m on the night shift, writing news and drinking things that say “Warning: this amount of caffeine is fatal” on the label. The light in my study is out of commission, so I’m using a lamp that’s not very effective. Most of the light comes from my monitor as I browse press releases, forums and emails. The usual routine. 

But something’s not quite right. Is that a noise coming from Steam? When did I even log into Steam? Wait… is that an animatronic bear? It’s moving towards me now. I think I need to stop breathing. Five Nights at Freddy’s 2 just appeared on Steam and it’s probably going to kill me. 

Read and Comment

Pillars of Eternity comes in two flavours: Hero Edition and Champion Edition

Comment

If you were a bit late to the Kickstarter party and never got a chance to back Obsidian’s Pillars of Eternity campaign, you’ve got a second chance to get some of those backer rewards. The game is now available for pre-order, with two editions, one of which comes with a bunch of “premium bonuses”. The regular edition will also contain some mystery items.

This special edition, the Champion Edition, is the version that backers who pledged for a copy of the game will get, at no extra cost. 

Read and Comment

Fantasy Eugenics Simulator 2014: Massive Chalice appears on Steam Early Access

Comments1

I live in a flat absent any chalices. I confess that I’m not always up to date on what’s in my cupboards, but I did just check, and no, I have no chalices. I did just by a measuring jug, though! That was exciting. Anyway, my chalice-less existence might be at an end, because Double Fine’s fantasy tactics game, Massive Chalice, has just hit Steam Early Access.

It’ll set you back £17.24/$22.49, which includes a week-long 25 percent discount.

Read and Comment

The Forest gets a co-op multiplayer update because the cannibals were getting hungry

Comments1

The Forest is simply horrible. I’m forever grateful that it came out before I started Playing With Myself (it’s the joke that keeps on giving), or I would have felt obligated to record what can only be described as some of my lowest moments. Standing in a cave, shouting at a zippo lighter, wishing I was playing a game where the chances of getting attacked by cannibals and then dragged into their underground lair to await dinnertime were very low, it was a bad time. But I did have, I’ll admit, a very good time having this bad time. 

If you are a fellow Stockholm Syndrome sufferer, then you might be pleased to know you can now recruit friends to join you on this nightmarish island, as The Forest now supports co-op multiplayer. 

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Gets Launch Trailer

Warner Bros, TT Games, DC Entertainment and the LEGO Group released today the launch trailer for LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham. LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham is rated PEGI 7 and will be available for the PC on November 14th. Continue reading

Just Cause 3 – First Details Revealed – No Multiplayer Mode But Will Support Mod Community

GameInformer’s December issue is out and the first details about the highly anticipated third part in the Just Cause series have been unveiled. First and foremost, Just Cause 3 will not support any MP modes. Yeap, you read that right. There won’t be any official Multiplayer mode in Just Cause 3. Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive's Operation Vanguard acquaints players with 'campaigns'

Comment

Operation Vanguard is the latest in a lengthy line of community initiatives Valve have run for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive over the last year and a half. In now-established fashion, players can pay for temporary access to six of the game’s best community maps on Valve’s dedicated servers - and the mappers will receive a cut of the profits.

New this time are operation campaigns: a progression system that strings together mission objectives in one of the best first-person shooters on PC and rewards players with extra cases or weapon drops.

Read and Comment

Guild Wars 2 is going on an egg hunt with Tangled Paths from November 18

Comment

You know how people get about eggs. They’ll scour supermarket shelves for duck dumpings to turn into extra-creamy omelettes. So you can imagine the fuss over dragon eggs, which are not only larger but far rarer - the two traits yolkonauts prize above all else.

The situation’s much the same in Tyria, where rumours of a wyrm zygote have given every faction in Guild Wars 2 a reason to bash each other in once again. That's the premise of Tangled Paths, the latest episode in ArenaNet’s Living World Season 2.

Read and Comment

Final Stand DLC will bring bows to Battlefield 4 with explosive and sniper bolts, say dataminers

Comment

With another Hunger Games on the horizon and no new Crysis sequel in sight, it’s up to DICE to cater to our primeval bow-and-arrow needs. A recent Battlelog update suggests they’ve obliged with a brand new compound bow for Battlefield 4. Named in the code as the ‘Spyder’, the weapon comes with a range of colourful ammunition for exploding, illuminating or making small holes in your prey.

Read and Comment

How StarCraft II's Legacy of the Void Archon mode is going to work

Comments2

Legacy of the Void will make your Protoss fantasies come true, so long as you’re not responsible for some of the odder space-elf fan art available on Google Images. But it’ll also introduce something potentially more exciting to the world’s biggest RTS: shared-base co-op played out on one-versus-one maps. 

Blizzard have dubbed the idea Archon Mode. And since BlizzCon 2014 wrapped, they've been busy explaining its ins and outs.

Read and Comment

SkySaga: Infinite Isles is a free to play Minecraft with quests

Comments6

Radiant Worlds, the studio that rose like a phoenix from the ashes of Blitz Games, have just announced SkySaga: Infinite Isles, a disgustingly colourful, voxel-based and procedurally generated adventure game. It's... well, it looks a whole lot like Minecraft, obviously. I don't think we can continue having a grown up conversation about SkySaga until we address that particularly blocky elephant in the room.

But wait, don't go! Here's a bunch of unique things SkySaga is doing that make it a little less like Minecraft, and a little more like a cool thing worth being interested in.

Read and Comment

Pool Nation FX will be the best pool game on PC

Comment

When I saw Pool Nation FX at EGX there was a crowd of people round the monitor, muttering advice to the player at the keyboard, and holding their breath each time the ball rolled towards the pocket. If it weren’t for the lack of pints, the giant Call of Duty booth below, and the people walking around in cosplay you could mistake it for a scene at the pub.

That’s exactly what CherryPop are aiming for: a pool table at your desktop. One you can play with friends the way you would at the pub. It also offers more than your local, you can play in tournaments, shoot frames at tables in settings all over the world, and sign up to Fifa-style leagues with both friends and strangers.

It’s easily going to be the best pool game on our platform.

Read and Comment

Are Traveller's Tales building a LEGO Jurassic Park? (Yeah, probably)

Comments3

LEGO Batman 3 has been out for a day. That’s physically enough time to squeeze in the 14 hours required to play the thing, so of course somebody has done it.

At the end of LEGO Batman 3, there’s a fun credit sequence in which LEGO Adam West and LEGO Burt Ward scale an endless building. They’re subject to a long stream of gags and cameos - one of which has got tongues speculatively wagging about a tie-in Jurassic Park game.

Read and Comment

Wildstar gets its "biggest patch yet": Mystery of the Genesis Prime

Comments2

After years of cutting, development and self-improvement, Wildstar is content. Happy. That’s good to hear, isn’t it? Oh nope, hang on, there’s more. Message reads: ‘Wildstar is content patched’.

That’s something for its players, at least, who now have access to another zone, The Defile, and a new solo story: Journey into OmniCore-1.

Read and Comment

GOG's Big Fall Sale begins: get Mount & Blade and The Witcher 2 for free

Comment

GOG is attempting to alleviate the misery left by naked trees, cold weather and rain by putting on its Big Fall Sale. Over 700 discounted games are up for grabs, some up to 90 percent off, and GOG’s throwing gifts around too, both games and films. 

The sale kicked off just an hour ago, and you can already get yourself a freebie. Mount & Blade can be yours for absolutely nothing, or you could buy the whole series for £6.37. And remember to keep an eye out for the daily deals and flash sales.

Read and Comment

Swot up on Far Cry 4 with the 8 minute launch trailer

Comment

Far Cry 4 is out in less than a week, and just in case you missed the barrage of trailers detailing every single aspect of this rather large game, Ubisoft has put together yet another, teaching you everything you need to know about the open world shooter.

It’s eight minutes long, which is quite long for a trailer, but not very long for a class. 

Read and Comment

Smite's European teams duke it out this weekend for a spot in the World Championships

Comment

Smite’s still building up to the MOBA’s World Championship event in January next year, and this week will see European teams clash in Cologne, Germany. It’s the final hurdle for the Europeans, and the top two teams will secure a spot in the World Championships.

The European Championships kicks off on November 15th, at 5pm CET. 

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Onikira: Demon Killer – Releases This Friday On Steam Via Steam Early Access

Headup Games and Merge Games today announced the release of Onikira: Demon Killer for PC. Onikira will launch on Steam Early Access on Friday 14th November priced $9.99, £6.99 or €9.99. Continue reading

Space Hulk: Ascension Edition – Now Available On Steam

Full Control revealed today that Space Hulk: Ascension Edition is now available for Windows, Mac and Linux on Steam. Space Hulk: Ascension Edition is described as a completely new experience that takes the game to a whole new level. Continue reading

Just Cause 3 – First Screenshots Unveiled

Avalanche Studios, Square Enix and GameInformer have revealed the first official screenshots for Just Cause 3. If these images are any indication, we can be sure that JC3 will look gorgeous. The game is planned for a 2015 release on current-gen platforms only. Enjoy! Continue reading

@TheVoxelman on twitter

No Cause For Concern: No Just Cause 3 Microtransactions

By Graham Smith on November 12th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

When Just Cause 3 was announced yesterday, Square Enix said that it was a “full price title”, causing speculation that earlier fears about the game containing microtransactions were unfounded. Now developers Avalanche have confirmed it in a post on their own site: “It does not feature in-game micro transactions.”

Yep. Confirmation that the speculation about the earlier speculation being false is true.

Read the rest of this entry »

Ice Ice Baby: Among The Sleep’s Free Prologue DLC

By Alice O'Connor on November 12th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

You can hardly step foot in the RPS Treehouse nowadays without crushing a rusk or slipping on a vomity bib. Everywhere you look: babies and their detritus. As the least parental and perhaps most monstrous limb of the RPS Hivemind, it’s now my responsibility to handle games about babies, lest a more delicate person burst into tears. So here I am, explaining that Among the Sleep, the horror game about how foolish babies are, received a free prologue chapter last week. I’d missed it because the RPS letter pile was stuck together with what I do hope was puréed swede.

Towerfall Dark World Expansion Adds New Everything

By Graham Smith on November 12th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

We already knew Towerfall Ascension was getting an expansion called Dark World. We even already knew that it would have procedurally generated levels, since developer Matt Thorson had been tweeting about making them. Now thanks to a post on the game’s blog, we know it’ll be out early next year.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Around the Network

Six year old RPG Valkyria Chronicles tops Steam sellers list

Sega’s PC version of PS3 RPG Valkyria Chronicles has ‘blown all predictions out of the water’, the publisher has claimed.

The game release on Steam yesterday and was at one stage apparently the most downloaded game on the platform. Currently it sits in third place behind fellow Sega title Football Manager 2015 and Activision’s Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare.

“During its first 24 hours on sale, blew all forecasts and predictions out of the water. The award-winning Strategy RPG, originally released in 2008 for PlayStation 3, forced its way to the top of the Steam download charts, beating a host of brand new games to reach number one,” Sega said.

Sega Europe’s senior VP of commercial publishing John Clark added: “We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans for their support in the phenomenal success of this launch. We’re also delighted at the response from the Steam community which indicates that newcomers to the series are finding it as enchanting and engaging as those who have played it before.”

Valkyria Chronicles was first released on PS3 in 2008. Two sequels were released on PSP in 2010 and 2011 respectively.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/six-year-old-rpg-valkyria-chronicles-tops-steam-sellers-list/0141295

@TheVoxelman on twitter

^Very good news.

Are there any reviews of this PC port?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
^Very good news.

The port is solid

http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-review/

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/13/valkyria-chronicles-pc-review-steam-powered-victory-4946642/

@TheVoxelman on twitter

zarx said:
JEMC said:
^Very good news.

The port is solid

http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-review/

http://metro.co.uk/2014/11/13/valkyria-chronicles-pc-review-steam-powered-victory-4946642/

Thanks for the links.

It looks like they did a better job than Ubi with the AC Unity port. Have they done something right with this game? (besides marketing)

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Assassin's Creed Unity AMD performance issues provoke prompt Ubisoft response

Comments10

Fraser had a fiddle with Assassin’s Creed Unity PC port yesterday, and came away with a number of technical reservations about Ubisoft’s Parisian playground.

While the most dramatic framerate troughs have been reserved for consoles, PC players have discovered performance problems across a range of rigs. In fact, the only point of consistency seems to be that AMD users have had the worst of it.

Read and Comment

World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor's Spires of Arak previewed as launch trailer appears

Comment

Our Nick’s spent the night working on his Warlords of Draenor review-in-progress, but you’ve probably spent it sleeping. You’ve yet to pass through the portal into the alternate orcish realm.

In that case, you’ll want to take a look at Blizzard’s latest trailer - and maybe hear a little about the grumpy winged beasts awaiting you on the Spires of Arak.

Read and Comment

Why the Summoner’s Rift update is good for League of Legends' performance

Comments4

“What good is a spiffy update if your toaster explodes during loading?” 

That’s the question Riot’s engineering team have been asking themselves while developing the new League of Legends update for Summoner’s Rift. They’ve made it their mission (as well as their jobs) to ensure that the new map runs at least as well on bog-standard machines as the old Rift.

Read and Comment

Just Cause 3 is not free to play. This and other rumours debunked by CCO

Comment

Just Cause 3 is a thing and that’s the best news of 2014. There’s not a single open world game out that competes with the sheer joyful abandon of Just Cause 2.

However, since the announcement a number of trouble rumours have emerged. Chiefly that Just Cause 3 is a free to play game.

Christofer Sundberg, Avalanches Chief Creative Officer, has taken to the internet to set the record straight.

Read and Comment

Nvidia Grid aims to be Netflix for games

Comments3

Nvidia Grid hopes to end OnLive’s monopoly on Netflix-style game streaming. The graphics card manufacturer has set up data centres around the world that will stream high spec games to whatever screen you like. 

This month sees Grid launch in the US, next month it comes to Europe, and it will launch in Asia in 2015.

Read and Comment

Rome 2 DLC adds Massilia faction for free. Black Sea Colonies announced

Comment

Creative Assembly may be spooling up for Total War Attila’s release date but they’re still releasing new factions for Rome 2. Better still, they’re giving away one of those factions for free.

On 20 November everyone who owns Rome 2 will find themselves able to play with the new Greek faction Massilia.

That same day also sees the release of the new Black Sea Colonies DLC.

Read and Comment

Chaos returns to Unreal Tournament

Comments1

Unreal Tournament can be pretty crazy - it’s fast, hectic and people blow up a lot. But the series was at its most weird in ChaosUT, a mod designed with one thing in mind: craziness. It was a mod where horrible, grinning mines chased you around and weapons were clearly made by mad scientists at ACME.

The new, free Unreal Tournament that Epic’s developing with the community is getting some chaos pumped through its veins now, as Chaotic Dreams has started working on a new version of the mod. 

Read and Comment

Humble Bundle is infested with Worms

Comment

While you might normally expect to find worms in dirt, these horrible, wriggly creatures can really get in anywhere. You’re probably only a few feet away from thousands of worms right now. And that’s not good, because they are violent, well-armed wee beasties. 

Even game bundle sales aren’t safe, and today, Humble Bundle has been infested with the creatures. For the next week, Team17 are offering nine Worms games, with some of the proceeds going to GamesAid. 

Read and Comment

Riot's rewarding League of Legends players with Influence Points, but only if they've been good

Comments2

Riot’s continuing its attempt to curb negative behaviour in League of Legends, but this time, instead of punishing the bad players, the developer is rewarding all the good boys and girls. 

In what Riot says is a “first step”, players who haven’t been suspended or had chat restrictions in the 2014 season will receive a 4-win Influence Point boost, to be doled out across the next week. 

Read and Comment

Tales from the Borderlands starting "soon"; watch the first in-game trailer while you wait

Comment

Tales for the Borderlands’ first episode, Zer0 Sum, will be out soon, teases Telltale. In the mean time, you can gorge on the first in-game trailer which, unsurprisingly, looks a lot like Borderlands, but with less shooting and more gags - which I can definitely get behind. 

Slap your eyes on it below. 

Read and Comment

Watch Vikings getting up to no good in Mount & Blade: Warband - Viking Conquest

Comments1

I still remember that sinking feeling when I watched Fatshark’s War of the Vikings and noticed a serious absence of ships. As it turned out, War of the Vikings did end up having ships, but they were all stuck in beaches or impossible to reach, and while the game proved to be lots of violent fun, I never quite got over not being able to see everyone’s favourite hirsute coastal raiders faffing around on ships.

This is why I continue to be very excited about Viking Conquest, a Mount & Blade: Warband expansion being developed by the lovely brains behind the wonderful Brytenwalda mod. It was announced last month, and it looks like we’ll be seeing it in Early Access next month. Taleworlds and the Brytenwalda team have put together a gameplay trailer, so direct your eyes towards the action, some of it in the sea, below.

Read and Comment

David Kim and the impossible balancing act of StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Comments2

Blizzard designer David Kim is “the balance guy” for StarCraft 2. His name is at once a curse and an incantation, the Godot of StarCraft. If something is broken — and something always is — it is Kim’s fault. But Kim will fix it. Kim will make it worse.

It’s easy to parody Kim. His role is one of inherent conservatism. He’s constantly dealing with the physics of avalanches. His goal is to try and ensure that each race can beat every other race roughly 50% of the time, all other things being equal. But then he must also look at how those games are being won and lost, and ask whether StarCraft remains entertaining and rewarding game to play and watch.

Read and Comment

@TheVoxelman on twitter