By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Intel's upcoming Alder Lake CPUs will be real power hogs.

Not just do they drive the peak Ampere up by about 15% in most cases and even almost 30% in the 65W TDP range (meaning it could even trigger overvoltage surge protection on some older, cheaper PSUs), but they even bring a new 165W power class and peak wattage rises by 60W almost across the board, from the 65W over the 125W to the new 165W top model (to a whooping 540W!), only on the 35W the increase is "only" 40W

https://wccftech.com/intel-alder-lake-desktop-cpus-more-power-hungry-than-rocket-lake-comet-lake-chips/

The good news is that the base Ampere don't rise and on the 35W model even drops by 2 Ampere and these power draws probably result in high clock speeds - but what's the point of a 35W TDP if it's peak draw is a whooping 246W? Even worse is the 65W TDP range, who now draw almost the same Amperage as the 125W models, and it shows, with a peak wattage of 462W, only a measly 6W below the 468W of the 125W models.

Looks increasingly to me like Intel tries to out-Bulldozer the Centurion...

Around the Network
Zkuq said:

I hope more modders pull their mods from Nexus Mods. Sucks for us gamers, but I fully support modders' rights to their mods, which Nexus Mods doesn't.

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to modders.

Sure they do great things for our games and that deserves credit, but what I don't entirely agree with is the whole "ownership" aspect of modding, mainly because without the game, you don't have the mod, the mod cannot exist without said game, meaning the mod relies on that game, and well... the modders don't own the rights to those games and they certainly didn't create those games, which means they only added to a tiny fraction of an already crafted and licensed game. 

Like in the artists side of the industry, tracing over someone's work and even adding to it is still frowned upon, yet adding and copying existing ideas from an official studio and adding them onto an existing game is somehow okay to retain some form of ownership (And I know some modders and fans alike, chalk modding in with "art", meaning by their logic that the two industries can be compared). 

I feel like games preservation is important, but I also feel the same for mods that greatly improve a game or even fix the issues some games have. If those mods are taken away because some mod author got a bit frumpy, then really you're at the behest of that mod author's emotional outburst, which isn't really all that great when you think about it for the long-term. Like we already saw the numerous times when SE threw a hissy fit when Tomb Raider didn't hit sales targets with their exclusivity deals, but at least they didn't entirely pull said games from the market for emotional reasons.

I just think that emotions should be completely removed from modding anything, meaning you've got to be purely logical, and logic would dictate that you should want the mod to be preserved, not deleted and removed (I know it exists on another site, but time changes everything, nothing remains the same forever, that site will eventually either die or remove the files by the author's will). 

Last edited by Chazore - on 06 August 2021

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

When someone overclocks AlderLake S

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Linus tried out the Steam Deck and it has a ton of info

Thank you Linus for doing what IGN didn't and giving us actual info. There's quite a bit and most are interesting so it's worth a watch.

As far as performance goes, he tried running Doom Ethernal at the Deck's native resolution at medium settings. It mostly runs at 50fps with dips to 20 fps. He tweaked some settings and was able to run it at 50-70fps. Not sure what he tweaked though.

The fans are comparable to the Aya Neo without the high pitched noise. The main sources of heat are at the screen area and the places where you touch on the Steam Deck don't get very hot. It's nearly twice as fast as the Aya Neo when running Doom. The Sticks and etc all feel good.

I wish he went through the settings and performance some more but he did only have an hour. He only tested Doom and CSGO of all things but that was for input latency test. He said games running off of the microsd card ran fine. Hopefully someone else goes more in depth as there seems to be more tech tubers being invited to try it out. Still, lots more info than IGN. It's worth a watch.

The verge also got their hands on it:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/6/22612886/valve-steam-deck-handheld-gaming-pc-hands-on-preview

"I was able to turn up demanding sections of The Witcher 3 and Control to medium spec without feeling uncomfortable."

Whatever the heck that means.

As nice as having a vid like that is, Linus is the very last guy I expect for in depth performance talk. He used to be all about that, before he built his own company/studio and hired ppl to do that for him (which he didn't use in this video sadly). I'd expect GN to have a better in depth look, since he's mostly about all sorts of perf ratios, highs and lows, as well as tweaks (I loved his Watch Dogs 2 tweak vid back in the day). 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Captain_Yuri said:

When someone overclocks Alder Lake S

No need for a space heater anymore if the fuse and power lines can take it.

I'm beginning to think Tim Taylor has gotten a new job at Intel...

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Linus tried out the Steam Deck and it has a ton of info

Thank you Linus for doing what IGN didn't and giving us actual info. There's quite a bit and most are interesting so it's worth a watch.

As far as performance goes, he tried running Doom Ethernal at the Deck's native resolution at medium settings. It mostly runs at 50fps with dips to 20 fps. He tweaked some settings and was able to run it at 50-70fps. Not sure what he tweaked though.

The fans are comparable to the Aya Neo without the high pitched noise. The main sources of heat are at the screen area and the places where you touch on the Steam Deck don't get very hot. It's nearly twice as fast as the Aya Neo when running Doom. The Sticks and etc all feel good.

I wish he went through the settings and performance some more but he did only have an hour. He only tested Doom and CSGO of all things but that was for input latency test. He said games running off of the microsd card ran fine. Hopefully someone else goes more in depth as there seems to be more tech tubers being invited to try it out. Still, lots more info than IGN. It's worth a watch.

The verge also got their hands on it:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/6/22612886/valve-steam-deck-handheld-gaming-pc-hands-on-preview

"I was able to turn up demanding sections of The Witcher 3 and Control to medium spec without feeling uncomfortable."

Whatever the heck that means.

As nice as having a vid like that is, Linus is the very last guy I expect for in depth performance talk. He used to be all about that, before he built his own company/studio and hired ppl to do that for him (which he didn't use in this video sadly). I'd expect GN to have a better in depth look, since he's mostly about all sorts of perf ratios, highs and lows, as well as tweaks (I loved his Watch Dogs 2 tweak vid back in the day). 

Yea that's true. It is annoying that all we are seeing are the more casual youtubers than the actual tech people. I suppose they do have the larger audience but still. It's clear Valve doesn't mind you going over the settings and performance so go over the settings and performance. I'd rather have at least 10 minutes dedicated to that than most of the other content.

hinch said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea I think their excessive spending is starting to come back to them. Especially with this years e3 where we saw most games being on Steam.

And yea, I fear that Nvidia and AMD next year are both gonna price their GPUs well above $300 and if Intel GPUs don't perform well... It ain't gonna be something to look forward to. Especially with Crypto and such.

Yup. They were super aggressive the past year and I'm not too sure its working. I mean they've probably gained some marketshare though not as much as they'd want or expect. Steam is still a beast and take more than some money hats and free games to win people over. Still, its nice to have some competition since there hasn't been anything that comes close to offering what Steam has or had (at least in terms of library) as to EGS.

True consumers have spoken with their wallets and they know people are willing to spend. I think the sub $300 GPU category is largely gone, and thus the entry level 50/0 tier cards with it. Lets see what Intel releases, they could surprise us (or not).

Yea pretty much. I think Epic just took the wrong approach overall and had quite a negative word of mouth in the PC community. I like the idea of giving people free games every month. That's a great idea. But exclusivity and money hatting is something most PC gamers don't like because back during the 7th gen, there were many games that were exclusive to consoles. If Epic said, we are launching a new store and every month, there will be free games and kept out the exclusivity/money hatting part, I think people would give it a go. Instead, they went in with the opposite approach of what PC gaming is all about.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:
Zkuq said:

I hope more modders pull their mods from Nexus Mods. Sucks for us gamers, but I fully support modders' rights to their mods, which Nexus Mods doesn't.

I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to modders.

Sure they do great things for our games and that deserves credit, but what I don't entirely agree with is the whole "ownership" aspect of modding, mainly because without the game, you don't have the mod, the mod cannot exist without said game, meaning the mod relies on that game, and well... the modders don't own the rights to those games and they certainly didn't create those games, which means they only added to a tiny fraction of an already crafted and licensed game. 

Like in the artists side of the industry, tracing over someone's work and even adding to it is still frowned upon, yet adding and copying existing ideas from an official studio and adding them onto an existing game is somehow okay to retain some form of ownership (And I know some modders and fans alike, chalk modding in with "art", meaning by their logic that the two industries can be compared). 

I feel like games preservation is important, but I also feel the same for mods that greatly improve a game or even fix the issues some games have. If those mods are taken away because some mod author got a bit frumpy, then really you're at the behest of that mod author's emotional outburst, which isn't really all that great when you think about it for the long-term. Like we already saw the numerous times when SE threw a hissy fit when Tomb Raider didn't hit sales targets with their exclusivity deals, but at least they didn't entirely pull said games from the market for emotional reasons.

I just think that emotions should be completely removed from modding anything, meaning you've got to be purely logical, and logic would dictate that you should want the mod to be preserved, not deleted and removed (I know it exists on another site, but time changes everything, nothing remains the same forever, that site will eventually either die or remove the files by the author's will).

A third party (Nexus Mods) fighting this fight is what bothers me the most. If there's one party that I might kind of be willing to accept to fight this battle, it's the publisher - because the publisher is the one with all the rights. My right then is to consider them a company I don't want to support, but I digress. Anyway, if you want to pick the route where the modders don't have much rights because they're basing their work on someone else's work, I'd say it's up to the party who has the rights - and if modders don't have those rights, Nexus Mods definitely doesn't have them either. From a rights perspective, to me this seems like two third parties fighting.

I might feel otherwise about this had Nexus Mods been like this since the beginning, but this seems to be a change that is retroactively applied to previously uploaded mods as well. This doesn't feel right to me, which is why I'm siding with the modders here, regardless of any long-term consequences this might have. If you want to, you can still back up any mods you have downloaded, and you should definitely do so if you're worried about things in the long term.

Zkuq said:

A third party (Nexus Mods) fighting this fight is what bothers me the most. If there's one party that I might kind of be willing to accept to fight this battle, it's the publisher - because the publisher is the one with all the rights. My right then is to consider them a company I don't want to support, but I digress. Anyway, if you want to pick the route where the modders don't have much rights because they're basing their work on someone else's work, I'd say it's up to the party who has the rights - and if modders don't have those rights, Nexus Mods definitely doesn't have them either. From a rights perspective, to me this seems like two third parties fighting.

I might feel otherwise about this had Nexus Mods been like this since the beginning, but this seems to be a change that is retroactively applied to previously uploaded mods as well. This doesn't feel right to me, which is why I'm siding with the modders here, regardless of any long-term consequences this might have. If you want to, you can still back up any mods you have downloaded, and you should definitely do so if you're worried about things in the long term.

Yes I agree, what Nexus is doing is pretty much wrong, and they must be held accountable for their actions and poor choice of "desires" they wish to enact. 

But the one thing that really gets me, is that in order to get them to change course, previous and meaningful content has to be sacrificed, almost forever (since some modders over time have left the scene entirely, taking their mods with them and never seeing re-uploads).

Modders can have rights and they most certainly do, but I know at it's core, they do not have the rights to the games they mod for, and without that game they have no material in which to mod, which means they are only adding to an already existing painting, a canvas if you will. That doesn't mean they get any less credit, it just means they can only go so far with those rights, because you and I, even the mod authors know, that they cannot fight against bethesda to own the rights individually, because that would get laughed straight out of court. 

Nexus shouldn't even have any rights to anything, because they act as a medium, a means of obtaining said mods, and that should always stay at just that, a place to download mods, but not a place to sell them, to claim ownership of addon works.

I agree with what you say, but at the same time, I really dislike seeing great works being lost to time, over something like this, because I know there's other ways of getting Nexus to change course, but this feels so damning, so drastic, to sacrifice good content that may never return, because of a rights issue. 

Could you imagine how bad it would be for example, if the Mona Lisa was stricken from public view, because the owner of the painting or museum didn't agree with the gov establishment it presided in?. It would be devastating to a myriad of people, because they would no longer be able to physically view it (like not being able to access a mod digitally).

It's obvious that Nexus has gotten too big for itself, that it feels it needs to start making more money (Doesn't sound like the fee for increase download speed is paying off for them, and I know because I'll never sub as it is a ripoff and should have never been capped in the first place).

Why are you criticizing Linus over this video? It's quite obvious that he did what he was allowed in a restricted press event with other sites/magazines. We have the thermal vid, which is quite interesting, but other than that, there's not much he could do.

If you want in-depth technical analysis of the thing, you'll have to wait until the different sites get their hands on their own units and can do whatever they want with them.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I thought Linus's preview was decent. There was some cool comparisons with the Aya which was pretty interesting and sizes.. by golly thats one thicc boi.

There's also a hands-on from Toms Hardware - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-deck-valve-hands-on
An interesting tidbit is they again re-iterated that the SSD is upgradable, and although a vague answer.. the guy doesn't make it sound too difficult to get to "Specifically, I wanted to know about upgradeability. Yes, they confirmed again, the SSD is slotted. Yes, you could get in there. "

Last edited by hinch - on 06 August 2021