By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Conina said:
Cyran said:

This was my impulse buy for the year.  Pre-order price for just the headset actually $750 (need to use a promo code that anyone can get by signing up for newsletter).

I been using the original HTC Vive(2016) for 5 years now so figure time for a upgrade.  For my setup the Version 1 base station work great so I can still use my original base station and controllers with the Vive Pro 2.  version 2 really only needed if you have a really large play area or you cant place 2 base station in opposite corners of room where they can easily see each other.  My room fairly square so never been a issue for me using the original.  At some point I probably get the index controllers to use with it, which are fully compatible with both version 1 and version 2 of htc base stations.

I'm curious: how much did you pay for the Vive + base station + controllers in 2016?

$800 + $41 shipping.  For the Vive Pro 2 I just order shipping was free.

Around the Network
Cyran said:
Conina said:

I'm curious: how much did you pay for the Vive + base station + controllers in 2016?

That's not too bad for 5 years (60 months) usage.

If the remaining value is more than $241, you paid less than $10 per month for VR.
If the remaining value is more than $300, you paid less than $9 per month for VR.

I had an Oculus Rift + Touch controllers for 43 months. Bought it for €390 (taxes + shipping included) and sold it for €150 (€167 minus €17 eBay costs).
So the loss of value was €240 in total, €6 per month. And I even kept the included Xbox One controller and the five games.

VR gaming ain't that expensive in the long run.

Last edited by Conina - on 12 May 2021

Conina said:
Cyran said:

That's not too bad for 5 years (60 months) usage.

If the remaining value is more than $241, you paid less than $10 per month for VR.
If the remaining value is more than $300, you paid less than $9 per month for VR.

I had an Oculus Rift + Touch controllers for 43 months. Bought it for €390 (taxes + shipping included) and sold it for €167.
So the loss of value was €222  in total, €5.50 per month. And I even kept the included Xbox One controller and the five games.

VR gaming ain't that expensive in the long run.

Completely agree.  I use VR probably 8-10 hours a week when playing my regulars(the Beat Saber type games) and way more if there a good story base game that just came out till I complete it so I get my money worth.

I think for most people PSVR or Oculus Quest 2 (even through I would never use one because of the Facebook account requirement) is a great introduction to VR and then if they get really into and happen to have a high end PC getting one that support SteamVR as the next step.  

$300/$400 price of introduction is fairly reasonable (I assuming anyone that get a PSVR already own a ps4/5). 

Wish HTC released a alternative to Oculus Quest 2 but Cosmos not great and the Focus is not even close to same price range.  Unfortunately it became very clear with ViveCon 2021 that there focus is almost completely on business application and have little interest in the consumer market.  When ask about creating a better design controller for gamers there answer was basically just go buy valve index controllers they work great with the vive.

For me I like the SteamVR ecosystem and wanted a big upgrade to resolution before upgrading so index did not qualify so it made sense to stick with HTC for now and then in another 5 years see where the landscape of the VR market is especially since I only needed the headset and nothing else and I can use any steamVR accessories that come out by valve, HTC or anyone else.

Captain_Yuri said:

Well I overslept but here's some news!

AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT allegedly features 2048 cores, RX 6600 gets 1792

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-allegedly-features-2048-cores-rx-6600-gets-1792

2048, that's not that much less than the 2560 of the 6700XT. Unless the clock speeds drop down too much or the 128bit connection hampers bandwidth too much, this would probably be a good budget card under normal circumstances.

Not holding much hope for availability. Still, the 6600XT should be quite decent at around $300 in the current market.

If I had to guess this would perform akin to a RX 5700XT or slightly faster.

Around the Network

Today's news will be short, because PCGamer.com is down. Anyway, here are the Thursday news:

SALES /PLAYER COUNT & DEALS

GOG has a new sale and a new release:

Steam has two new daily deals:

Humble has two new deals:

SOFTWARE & DRIVERS

-Empty-

MODS, EMULATORS & FAN PROJECTS

-Also Empty-

GAMING NEWS

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 PC Requirements + Gameplay Overview Trailer
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/sniper-ghost-warrior-contracts-2-pc-requirements-gameplay-overview-trailer/
CI Games released today a gameplay overview trailer for Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2. This new trailer provides a deepdive into the variety of gameplay available in the game, including sandbox-style maps, customisable weapons and equipment, and, of course, its shiny new feature — 1000m+ extreme-range sniping.

Here are 28 minutes of PC gameplay footage from Days Gone
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/here-are-28-minutes-of-pc-gameplay-footage-from-days-gone/
Gamespot has shared a new video, showing 28 minutes of gameplay footage from the PC version of Days Gone. In order to capture this video, Gamespot used an NVIDIA GeForce 2080Ti with an Intel I9-9900K CPU and 32GB of RAM.

New leaked and comparison screenshots surface for Mass Effect Legendary Edition
https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/new-leaked-and-comparison-screenshots-surface-for-mass-effect-legendary-edition/
It appears that some users have gotten their hands on early copies of Mass Effect Legendary Edition and shared some screenshots from it. Alongside these leaked screenshots, you can also find some comparison screenshots between the remastered and the vanilla versions of Mass Effect.

Total War: WARHAMMER III gets an in-engine cinematic trailer
https://www.dsogaming.com/videotrailer-news/total-war-warhammer-iii-gets-an-in-engine-cinematic-trailer/
SEGA and Creative Assembly have released a new in-engine cinematic trailer for Total War: WARHAMMER III. Since this trailer features in-game footage, it can give you a glimpse at the game’s graphics.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

hinch said:

Not holding much hope for availability. Still, the 6600XT should be quite decent at around $300 in the current market.

If I had to guess this would perform akin to a RX 5700XT or slightly faster.

The problem is the 6700, which doesn't seem worth much compared to the 6600XT, unless those few extra shaders and the bigger memory bus have and actual impact in the overall performance.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

The 6700 (should it be a thing) should still outperform the lower SKU's due the bigger bus in itself. 50% higher bus bandwidth is quite significant and should offer better overall performance, especially at resolution's over 1080P. I'd imagine the 6600 series will have lowered infinity cache amount too.

If we go by NVIDIA equivalents, it should go; 6700 > 3060Ti, 6600XT > 3060 and 6600 > 3050Ti.

Last edited by hinch - on 13 May 2021

The funny thing is that a 6700XT performs closer to a 3060 Ti than a 3070 so a 6700 will probably perform worse than a 3060 Ti while being priced like a 3060 Ti while ironically having less Vram if the rumours are to be believed.

The 6600XT will be faster than a 3060 imo as there is a pretty big performance gap between a 3060 and a 3060 Ti. 3060 = 2060 Super where as a 3060 Ti = 2080 Super. The 6600 might be more of a direct 3060 competitor but it's pretty hard to judge.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 13 May 2021

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

AMD Navi 24 “Beige Goby” entry-level GPU to offer 1024 cores

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-navi-24-beige-goby-entry-level-gpu-to-offer-1024-cores

Intel Arctic Sound (Xe-HP) accelerators pictured, feature up to 7680 cores, 32GB HBM2E memory

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-arctic-sound-xe-hp-accelerators-pictured-feature-up-to-7680-cores-32gb-hbm2e-memory

For datacenter that is

Steam’s “price parity rule” isn’t wreaking havoc on game prices

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/05/why-lower-platform-fees-dont-lead-to-lower-prices-on-the-epic-games-store/

I was wondering when someone was gonna make an article about this. Basically shows what we have known before where even when a game isn't on steam and Epic games asks for a lower % cut, the savings doesn't get past onto the customers but rather, the publisher simply charges the same while making more money. There are some exceptions but majority just take the money and laugh their way to the bank.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850