By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

I just recently bought a 3m micro USB cable so I could use my DS4 on the couch. Works fine with one controller, works terribly with another one I recently bought. Maybe the DS5 will be better?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Yo, what controllers are good for PC?

I use a DS4 at the moment, but it's pretty annoying. Button prompts in games typically use Xbox format rather than PS so that's kind of confusing. It doesn't work wireless, only wired and DS4 wires are crazy short so I'm having to use 3rd party ones which seem to keep breaking. Literally just had to bend the metal thingy on the end back into place on my current one so I figure it's not going to last much longer.

Just want a cheap (but not crappy) controller that's compatible with Steam/games (and shows the correct button prompts) that I can use wired and wireless without issue.

Xbox One Controllers work best as they have dedicated drivers and just work when plugged in via USB. They have a wireless dongle as well that connects perfectly. Or even a cheap Bluetooth 4.0+ adapters you can find cheap on Ebay/Aliexpress for a few pounds.

You could wait for Series X/S controllers though as there will likely be minor improvements to the shape/design. Alternatively if you have a DualShock 4 controller you can plug that in and Steam will recognise it, put will require you to play in Big Picture mode which is a bit of a pain. And you can also get a dongle/bluetooth adapter like the Xbox One to play wirelessly. There are also third party drivers that go around this and even mods for games like Resident Evil 2 remake that changes the button prompts to PS buttons, but meh I cba.

TLDR Official Xbox One controller is the best imo, plug and play and forget about it. Alternatively wait for the new Xbox controllers that use a much better and durable USB-C connection. Be mindful that you may need some rechargeable AA batteries and a charger if playing wirelessly otherwise you'll be buying a lot of disposables lol.

Last edited by hinch - on 20 September 2020

Asus has finally revealed their big daddy Strix model clock speeds and... *Hot Damn*

OC Mode - 1935 MHz (Boost Clock)
Gaming Mode (Default) - GPU Boost Clock : 1905 MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1440 MHz

Previously the crown was held by MSI with a boost of 1815 Mhz

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX3080-O10G-GAMING/specifications/

Here is what Asus recommends for power supply for their GPUs

Maybe is this the GPU that can finally reach that 2100 mhz on air?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Boost clocks are way too weird this gen. First base clocks were irrelevant and now boost clocks are meaningless. I would not be surprised if the Strix is just as fast or even slower than the MSI card.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Also LG TVs may be having issues with Chroma and G-sync with the 3080. It's hard to tell if it's a driver issue or a firmware issue with the TV.

"The LG CX will automatically chroma subsample at 4k 120Hz, meaning you will get 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4. Everything is fine at 4k 60Hz. But at 4k 120Hz we noticed something is wrong with the colors. The chroma subsampling is clearly evident when looking at the borders of dark text. This is not some small issue because it pretty much ruins the 4k 120Hz experience once you notice it."

"Apparently only the CX models are affected, for the C9 models 4k 120 Hz 4:4:4 is working fine."

"G-Sync is completely bugged."

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/iwem9k/the_lg_oled_cx_does_not_work_properly_with_the/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/g-sync-does-not-work-at-4k-120-on-the-lg-c9-oled-via-hdmi-2-1-with-my-3080.289487/

There are plenty of other threads/posts complaining as well. I think G-sync is a driver issue but Chroma is an LG issue

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I bought the TV knowing that it would only be able to do 4:2:2 at 4k 120 and Gsync. It's not relevant for the games I want to have at 120fps. I hope they'll fix it but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, according to rtings the C9 is not capable of 4k120Hz Gsync. Also a reason why I picked the CX over the C9.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-lg-cx/802/10619?usage=11114&threshold=0.1

Playing Terminator Resistance. Finally got to the hospital and...yeah, I'm gonna stay in these vents all night long, because fuck going out there.

https://imgur.com/a/mUybeXx (video clip)

My guns don't do shit to those guys lol.

Last edited by Chazore - on 20 September 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Captain_Yuri said:
Chazore said:

nah, stick with it dude. I'm still going for a 3080 10gb model early next yr myself. I'll wait n' see what the 4000 series brings and decide then in a few yrs. Consoles have to do with what they've got this new gen, so I doubt we'll be heavily gimped with our VRAM. 

Yea I am not worried about consoles since I am sure the 3080 can beat them the entire gen without any issues. It's just you know a game will come eventually that will be like doom where if u have a bit less Vram, you get lower performance at 4k. Still the 10gb will have very excellent performance mind you but this kinda practice is nonsense assuming it's even coming out anytime soon that is. Then again, if it does come out, it will probably be $100-$200 more expensive with little to no fps gain so could end up being one of those, may as well get the cheaper version.

I doubt that will be the norm.
It's like the Radeon 7870, for the entire 8th gen it was a match for the Playstation 4, obviously it only had 2GB of GDDR5 vs the 8GB of GDDR5 the Playstation 4 had... But the crux was, the Playstation 4 wasn't using all that Ram for rendering... Hence why the 7870 was able to provide a similar experience in gaming for the entire generation.

Granted there are some ports which were terrible on the Playstation 4 and some that were terrible on PC which gave an advantage to either platform, but for all intents and purposes a Radeon 7870 was a PS4 equivalent.

Obviously games continued to improve on PC with higher visual settings becoming available as time went on which motivates PC gamers to upgrade, but if you kept them at console levels of quality you could get away with running games on some pretty low-end components that are console equivalent.

A Geforce RTX 3080 despite *only* having 10GB of Ram will still be backed up with 16-32GB of System Ram in your average PC... GPU's don't need to match the system memory of a console, PC's have lots of other memory elsewhere.

The RTX 3080 will likely have the edge over the consoles for the entire generation, but a consumer buying an RTX 3080 isn't your average gamer, they are obviously chasing high-end visuals and performance and thus will likely upgrade much more often anyway... And nVidia understands this.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ka-pi96 said:
Yo, what controllers are good for PC?

I use a DS4 at the moment, but it's pretty annoying. Button prompts in games typically use Xbox format rather than PS so that's kind of confusing. It doesn't work wireless, only wired and DS4 wires are crazy short so I'm having to use 3rd party ones which seem to keep breaking. Literally just had to bend the metal thingy on the end back into place on my current one so I figure it's not going to last much longer.

Just want a cheap (but not crappy) controller that's compatible with Steam/games (and shows the correct button prompts) that I can use wired and wireless without issue.

I've been using wired Speedlink Xeox Pro for a few years now, got 4 around the house, all still working - at around $25, they're fairly descent choice, though not quite as good as original Xbox 360 controllers. Never tried wireless version, so can't say much about it.

*** NEW CONTEST ***

Guru3D and Teamgroup have joined to give away a TeamGroup MP33 PRO 1 TB NVMe SSD

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSckdrgnkbRZLzwZkjOb3tWWQ8qrL4X2Ursp5rnP-kUfAp1-8g/viewform

Last edited by JEMC - on 21 September 2020

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.