By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

I will say that Nvidia coming out with a 20gb model shortly after 10gb models release is pretty urghh worthy for early adopters. Personally, because I am on the xx80 cycle, I doubt I am gonna need 10gb of vram before the 4000 series or even 5000 series  comes out so I won't be canceling my order. Still, would have been nice to have a choice from the beginning.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

I will say that Nvidia coming out with a 20gb model shortly after 10gb models release is pretty urghh worthy for early adopters. Personally, because I am on the xx80 cycle, I doubt I am gonna need 10gb of vram before the 4000 series or even 5000 series  comes out so I won't be canceling my order. Still, would have been nice to have a choice from the beginning.

nah, stick with it dude. I'm still going for a 3080 10gb model early next yr myself. I'll wait n' see what the 4000 series brings and decide then in a few yrs. Consoles have to do with what they've got this new gen, so I doubt we'll be heavily gimped with our VRAM. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

nah, stick with it dude. I'm still going for a 3080 10gb model early next yr myself. I'll wait n' see what the 4000 series brings and decide then in a few yrs. Consoles have to do with what they've got this new gen, so I doubt we'll be heavily gimped with our VRAM. 

Yea I am not worried about consoles since I am sure the 3080 can beat them the entire gen without any issues. It's just you know a game will come eventually that will be like doom where if u have a bit less Vram, you get lower performance at 4k. Still the 10gb will have very excellent performance mind you but this kinda practice is nonsense assuming it's even coming out anytime soon that is. Then again, if it does come out, it will probably be $100-$200 more expensive with little to no fps gain so could end up being one of those, may as well get the cheaper version.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

TallSilhouette said:
JEMC said:
Yeah, looks like the 3090 won't be worth the asking price for gaming, unless you get a crazy deal on it like the one Yuri posted, right TallSilhouette?

Well, I did get an email confirmation the night I ordered it, but the product page has been removed, my card has not been charged, and my order number doesn't show anything when I look it up. In all likelihood the order has been cancelled, but if I don't hear anything by the 24th I'll make a fuss to customer support and at least try to get my order.

I was going to wish you good luck with that but, if those performance results are true, I don't know if you've dodged a bullet there.

In any case, good luck.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Captain_Yuri said:
Chazore said:

Yea I am not worried about consoles since I am sure the 3080 can beat them the entire gen without any issues. It's just you know a game will come eventually that will be like doom where if u have a bit less Vram, you get lower performance at 4k. Still the 10gb will have very excellent performance mind you but this kinda practice is nonsense assuming it's even coming out anytime soon that is. Then again, if it does come out, it will probably be $100-$200 more expensive with little to no fps gain so could end up being one of those, may as well get the cheaper version.

Exactly.

I just don't see the 20gb variants being any better than the 3080 by a large margin, to offset the extra $200, and even then it'll never beat the 3090, otherwise if it cost a few more than the 3080, but beats the 3090, that'd make the 3090 entirely more pointless.

I think Nvidia screwed up here though, in doing this just now. They could have solved this by just forgoing the 10gb version and just make us wait till early next yr for the 20gb 3080 and make that the default, rather than pulling this "we've gotta out-spam AMD with as many ti's, gb's and Super's as much as possible!" idea they've got going. 

Last edited by Chazore - on 19 September 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Just by pure math the 3090 cannot possibly be better than 20% faster. And that is only the best case theoretical scenario. In games it will be 15% or less.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

After looking at a ton of reviews, it's essentially coming down to MSI Gaming Trio, Asus Tuf and Evga FTW3.

So really, MSI or Asus until Evga hires a design team that isn't 12 years old..

Asus = better card build wise. Dual Bios with quiet and performance mode. The temps in performance mode is pretty low. Aluminum back plate and etc. Tire marks. Dual 8 pin connector.

MSI = worse card build wise. Plastic, single BIOS, temps higher than Asus in performance bios however MSI is quieter than Asus in performance bios. Does come with a sag brace to prevent GPU from sagging. Triple 8 pin connector.

MSI gets consistently higher clocks/fps in majority of the reviews generally hovering around 2000-2025 mhz sometimes hitting 2070 mhz vs Asus generally being around 1970-2000mhz. But that essentially translates to 1-2fps at best.

So personally if I had a choice, I'd go with the Asus Tuf as it feels more premium than MSI even if MSI performs slightly better. Can't go wrong with either though. Avoid Zotac and Palit like the plague as those perform worse than Founders.

Ka-pi96 said:
Yo, what controllers are good for PC?

I use a DS4 at the moment, but it's pretty annoying. Button prompts in games typically use Xbox format rather than PS so that's kind of confusing. It doesn't work wireless, only wired and DS4 wires are crazy short so I'm having to use 3rd party ones which seem to keep breaking. Literally just had to bend the metal thingy on the end back into place on my current one so I figure it's not going to last much longer.

Just want a cheap (but not crappy) controller that's compatible with Steam/games (and shows the correct button prompts) that I can use wired and wireless without issue.

Wireless makes it a bit tricky as I never had good experience with cheap wireless controllers for PC with the exception of Xbox One wireless controller on sale so that would be my suggestion as you can connect it to PC via Bluetooth or dongle.

Ka-pi96 said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Wireless makes it a bit tricky as I never had good experience with cheap wireless controllers for PC with the exception of Xbox One wireless controller on sale so that would be my suggestion as you can connect it to PC via Bluetooth or dongle.

Wireless isn't necessary, it'd just be nice to have a controller that I can rely on. I mean, I had a cable break while playing a game a little while ago which really sucked. Just playing and then the controller isn't connected to the PC anymore and I can't do anything.

I don't know what bluetooth is, would it be easy to do? Assuming I'd have to buy a dongle to connect via dongle as well? Maybe wired would just be easier

It depends on whether or not your computer has Bluetooth. If it does, it's easy to pair the controller and it works pretty well in my experience. If not, you need to get the xbox wireless controller dongle:

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/adapters/wireless-adapter-windows

Personally it's best to get either a 360 controller or a xbox one controller when they are on sale as they have the best compatibility with windows games while having really good build quality. There are cheap ones but like the Logitech F310 (no rumble) or 510 or 710 which have good reviews but really, it's better to get a refurbished 360 controller than any of those.

I'm using an Xbox One controller with the USB cable and, besides having troubles to make the rumble work in Steam, I'm quite happy with it. I've been using it for years and it still looks almost like new.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.