By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Carzy Zarx’s PC Gaming Emporium - Catch Up on All the Latest PC Gaming Related News

Captain_Yuri said:

Tfw your 10 core cpu overclocked requires more power than your competitor's 32 core cpu at stock...

As far as I know the 64-core doesn't go past 285W under full load, so even that one consumes less than Intel's 10-core chip.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
Chazore said:

Sweet, my birth month.

This'll hopefully give me enough time to save and see which one I can go for by then.

It'll likely be Nvidia though. 

Same unless AMD manages to pull something truly amazing which to be fair, they did before with Zen loll.

Is Zen really that great or is the competition just that terrible?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Same unless AMD manages to pull something truly amazing which to be fair, they did before with Zen loll.

Probably the latter. To AMD's credit, they aren't so behind Nvidia compared to how behind they were against Intel with FX. It's just their high end is where they can't seem to break through. So I wouldn't count them out fully but if I was a betting man, I'd go with Nvidia being dominant again.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

vivster said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Definitely the latter.

I'm sure other sites have something similar but here's a Guru3D graph showcasing the single core IPC performance in Cinebench of a series of CPUs, all clocked at 3500MHz for the sake of comparison:

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-10900k-processor-review,7.html

You can see how there's a clear improvement between Zen/Zen+ and Zen 2, but the newest Intel processors aren't much faster than Skylake, relying only on higher clocks to get better results.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I think I might end up getting the Dell XPS 17 with Intel i7 10875H 8 core 16 threads + 32GB of ram + 1TB SSD + 2060 MaxQ as my work laptop. Mainly cause my Work has a "partnership" with Dell that gives me a discount. Dem tiny Bezels and 4k screen be fap worthy.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Sure, why not. If you need it for "work"...

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Seems that Nvidia took a page out of AMD's book and made their own version of Smartshift for laptops.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Short-Review-Nvidia-Max-Q-Dynamic-Boost.466222.0.html

Here's one of the first 8TB SSDs. The only problem is that it's has QLC...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sabrent-rocket-q-m2-ssd-8tb

Also the hotchips conference might have some interesting keynotes.

Hot Chips 32 (2020) Schedule Announced: Tiger Lake, Xe, POWER10, Xbox Series X, TPUv3, Jim Keller. Hot Chips 2020 is scheduled for August 16th to August 18th.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15806/hot-chips-32-2020-schedule-tiger-lake-xe-power10-xbox-series-x-tpuv3-jim-keller

I don't see the issue with QLC. I'm just waiting for huge SSDs for fast long term storage, that are actually affordable. They're gonna have minimal writing on them so they'll last forever anyway. I'd also take QuintLC and SextLC if that makes them cheaper.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Captain_Yuri said:

Here's one of the first 8TB SSDs. The only problem is that it's has QLC...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/sabrent-rocket-q-m2-ssd-8tb

At 8TB it should have good endurance in terms of total writes... And decent performance if they used a ton of NAND chips.

I am not against QLC or TLC, but I am against them if they don't bring tangible benefits in terms of capacity/price/performance.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Captain_Yuri said:

Also the hotchips conference might have some interesting keynotes.

Hot Chips 32 (2020) Schedule Announced: Tiger Lake, Xe, POWER10, Xbox Series X, TPUv3, Jim Keller. Hot Chips 2020 is scheduled for August 16th to August 18th.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15806/hot-chips-32-2020-schedule-tiger-lake-xe-power10-xbox-series-x-tpuv3-jim-keller

The HotChips conference is always very interesting. Might get release dates for XSX that day, a preview on Tiger Lake and XE Graphics card (probably not a release yet for Tiger Lake, the specs of leaked TL chips were rather underwhelming so far to say the least). POWER 10 will be interesting to see if IBM can catch up again on Intel and eat up server market share from Intel. But I'm most curious what Jim Keller has to say out of that bunch.

Ice Lake SP is also having a keynote, so I guess release will start around that date. The ThunderX3 are interesting at the other end of the spectrum, being based on the ARM architecture. Could become very dangerous for the small company server business of both Intel and AMD if this one would take off.

Most interesting will be what I call the lunchtime duel: At 12:00 AMD will present their Ryzen 4000 Desktop APUs while at 12:30 Intel comes with Tiger Lake And at 17:30 NVidia will unveil Ampere, possibly launching that day, too. Little bummer: This probably only covers the professional Quadro versions of Ampere, not the consumer parts.