By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mark Cerny at Gamelab, "Road to the PS4" VIDEO NOW AVAILABLE

Tagged games:

Wow I love how he basically said the Cell was a bad idea. PlayStation is on a redemption tour. You definitely get a PS2 feel this time around

Around the Network
LemonSlice said:
Wright said:

Heh, need something translated? I haven't checked the video because I'm doing some things, but ask me if you don't get anything.

Nah, it was just the introduction.

The work 'metrosexual' was definitely mentioned though lol

The guy did a joke that Cerny looks like the metrosexual David Beckham.

PS. I watched the livestream sleepy... that's what I remember but I'm not sure if that extacly what he said but it is close... I need to check the video again.

drkohler said:

This is basically a small stab at Microsoft engineering, Cerny also mentioned that at E3. PS4 went the "lots of unified ultrafast gddr5 path", XBox One went the "Lots of good ddr3 ram and a fast cache" path. Both paths will give you the same results, essentially, IF the cache is large and very fast. XBox One cache is NOT very fast, this is where Cerny would have designed a really fast cache instead, had he gone the XBox One path.

And he said Sony tried this other config before go to 256bits@176GB/s... in the Cerny test the result was not good enough, so they prefer the full 176GB/s bandwidth.

theprof00 said:

Which one is in the ps4, left or right?

Also, what's the picture about "time to triangle"

Both...

The right was the PS4 at project/design time... and the left is the best and final result they archived.

LemonSlice said:
drkohler said:
theprof00 said:

Which one is in the ps4, left or right?

Also, what's the picture about "time to triangle"

On the left is the PS4 as it turned out, on the right is an alternate PS4 as it could have been designed. Notice on the right, the gpu memory throughput would have been much. much higher had they taken that road. Unfortunately, the downside would have been only 8 chips on a 128bit bus (in clamshell mode, so a max of 4G ram), and the programmer's mess of actually using a small cache to its maximum (the mess XBox One programmers have to overcome).
"Time to triangle" is an expression from Project Managment. In every project, you are given a wad of cash, a timeline and a scope of what to do. Considers those restrictions the sides of a triangle, and your project sits within the triangle, with some room to move around (got less time? -> use more money/less features) . Basically in the graph,  it means the time from starting a "Lets make a game" project to getting a running build (not a finished product!)

Time to triangle refers to the polygon. More specifically how much time it takes until your graphics engine can render the amount of polygons appropriate to capabilities of a given hardware.

In this case is more like @drkohler... it's time to make the engine run in the hardware... it means how much time of programing in GPU (so the triangles) you need to make your game run the first time.

Around the Network

Anyone find a video yet?

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Sorry for making you lose sleep ethomaz. :(

No video yet, seems no one bothered to record it and upload. The guy on the PS.Blog said they were going to upload it themselves though.

1) Three Musketeers (The Guys That Make The PS4 Happened)

2) Super Cerny's Skill Set (He Was A Prodigy That Entered At University With 16 Years Old)

3) Time To Make A Game Engine Runs (Not The Game Yet... The Prototype Of The Game Engine)

4) One Of The Old PS4's Prototype At Right (Discarted Due Bad Utilization Of Memory System)

LemonSlice said:

Sorry for making you lose sleep ethomaz. :(

No video yet, seems no one bothered to record it and upload. The guy on the PS.Blog said they were going to upload it themselves though.

It's fine... I really enjoyed the presentation... Marck Cerny voice is likeable .

I think the livestream linke works yet... no?

ethomaz said:

2) Super Cerny's Skill Set (He Was A Prodigy That Entered At College With 16 Years Old)

University, actually. UC Berkeley.

And you can't watch the stream now.