By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS isn’t Aimed at Experts

EricFabian said:
morenoingrato said:
So... the same as Brawl and Melee?

according some people Melee was for experts

Everyone thinks they are experts when they are 10 years old.  Doesn't make it so.

Around the Network

The skill cap in Brawl wasn't very high IMO. If the next one is similar to Brawl I don't mind, but it's not fun when fighters are too "noob friendly". :p

irstupid said:
EricFabian said:
morenoingrato said:

Everyone thinks they are experts when they are 10 years old.  Doesn't make it so.

Melee, at a high level, was a very technically demanding game. 

irstupid said:
EricFabian said:
morenoingrato said:

but Melee was for experts, more than Brawl at least

Click HERE and be happy 

Good news, both for business reasons (if they want it to sell 10m+...) and for personal reasons (I cannot Quarter Circle Forward ever. I'm physically incapable of it. That kind of mechanic I cannot stand).

Around the Network
EricFabian said:
irstupid said:
EricFabian said:
morenoingrato said:

No, Melee was bug-exploited until an intensely difficult and harsh playstyle that barely resembles the original game was forced upon any serious player.

JWeinCom said:
morenoingrato said:

Clearly you didn't play competitve Melee...

Aye. Melee was the peak of SSB greatness. Brawl was so dumbed down I stopped playing after 3 months.

Soleron said:
EricFabian said:
irstupid said:
EricFabian said:
morenoingrato said:

No, Melee was bug-exploited until an intensely difficult and harsh playstyle that barely resembles the original game was forced upon any serious player.

Yeah but it was fun because you had to work very hard to hone those skills. People loved it so much so that it was part of MLG for some time.

Same thing with Street Fighter.

There's way too much pandering to these pampered North American kids who are taught "everyone's a winner" BS so they have to dumb games down. People should work themselves to reach their highest potential instead of capping game mechanics.

I had more fun with the Melee events, mainly because they were far more challenging than the ones in Brawl. Heck, I beat "The Final Fight" in Brawl at my second attempt. I spent weeks, WEEKS, trying to beat the "Final Fight" in Melee.

Fifaguy360 said:

Yeah but it was fun because you had to work very hard to hone those skills. People loved it so much so that it was part of MLG for some time.

Same thing with Street Fighter.

There's way too much pandering to these pampered North American kids who are taught "everyone's a winner" BS so they have to dumb games down. People should work themselves to reach their highest potential instead of capping game mechanics.

I love MLG. I love game speedrunning. I loved Starcraft Brood War, the hardest and most competitive game ever made.

But I'd really rather a game's skill came from intelligence and strategy rather than mechanical aptitude. Normal sports already do the latter quite well. I've switched from Starcraft to LoL: lower mechanical skillcap, and yet more fun, exciting and still skill based games.

Fighting games make moves deliberately hard to do to slow players down from being perfect. I don't think that's right.