By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Price Cut Confirmed - Japan

thibje said:
@Gebx

You posted this a month ago

"Microsoft Corp.'s Japan unit aims to double the number of game titles for the Xbox 360 console in Japan to 500 by the end of 2008, a senior official said in a recent interview with Jiji Press.

New titles may include a sequel to the blockbuster Blue Dragon, said Takashi Sensui, executive officer and chief of the home and entertainment division of Tokyo-based Microsoft Co.

The Xbox 360 has been struggling in Japan as cumulative sales have totaled about 500,000 units since it was released in December 2005. But Senui said the console can win over hard-core gamers and that reaching one million units in sales is not far."

Ah that Blue Dragon... I thought... hmmm.. the other... hmmm... yeah 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
boycop said:
If you visited Japan lately, you would know that x360 is generally not longer having any visible store space in the electronic shops. Only must-have x360 games can make any serious inpact on the japanese market, a small price drop will not.

I don't know what stores you've been visiting (or where), but at most of the stores that I check out, the 360 has roughly about the same amount of space as the PS3. It's usually the DS and still kind of the PS2 with the most space. Wii space is just a bit under those. DS usually has the most space.

Anyway, hopefully the arcade pack can stimulate sales a bit.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Do you know why they chose this date? Personally, I think they want to have something against Yakuza 3 which will boost PS3 HW sales.
Xbox Arcade (JP): 06-Mar-2008
Yakuza 3 (JP): 06-Mar-2008

Or MS is planning to move a game to that week - I do believe that is the week after the next Idolmaster game comes out.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Or MS is planning to move a game to that week - I do believe that is the week after the next Idolmaster game comes out.
At the moment they have 

21/02 - Bioshock
28/02 - Idolm@ster
06/03 - 4/5 classic tittles

[

Around the Network
thibje said:
mrstickball said:
At the moment they have 

21/02 - Bioshock
28/02 - Idolm@ster
06/03 - 4/5 classic tittles

Well that might explain why they chose that date for the release of the arcade pack. Gamers can pick up the arcade pack and also pick up some new lower priced classic games. They did the same thing last November when they released the lower priced value pack (premium 360 with $50 price cut plus viva pinata/forza 2 bundle) along with releasing a bunch of games on their platinum collection (value priced classics).

Would you happen to know what titles are being released on that day?

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Well it sure won't hurt sales...Couldn't be much lower in Japan.

thibje said:
I really don't understand what the problem is about the HDD for burnout.
It's known that you can't use Xboxlive if you don't have a HDD in every game.

The problem is that just like people buy 40GB then realise it can't play PS2 games people will likely buy Arcade then realise that the HDD isn't so optional as they thought if they want to play certain things.  That kind of confusion only ever gets negative consumer response.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Basically no price cut can ever hurt Xbox360 in Japan. The more they sell the more they loose, that logic don't count when you sell only around 6k per week. The losses are too small on the bigger scale. It's a miracle it took them so long to drop the price. They should drop it below the DS price!

smbu2000 said:
boycop said:
If you visited Japan lately, you would know that x360 is generally not longer having any visible store space in the electronic shops. Only must-have x360 games can make any serious inpact on the japanese market, a small price drop will not.

I don't know what stores you've been visiting (or where), but at most of the stores that I check out, the 360 has roughly about the same amount of space as the PS3. It's usually the DS and still kind of the PS2 with the most space. Wii space is just a bit under those. DS usually has the most space.

Anyway, hopefully the arcade pack can stimulate sales a bit.

I'll have to go with you, smbu2000, on this one. The store I usually go to doesn't exactly have the same space. I'd say the PS3 is maybe 1.75x the size of the 360 section, but even then, both are still not really big. Maybe I'll go some time in the next few days to do my looking around and checking what used games are available for cheap. While I'm there, I may try to get a more accurate measurement if you'd like.

Though I may have to go with boycop for that it may not have that much impact. I remember commenting on a thread about the 360 in Japan before that the people I've talked to have an image of the 360 as being a shoooter and American game system still. When I asked what games they were interested in on the PS3 and gave them suggestions of possible 360 games based on what they like, they were like, "Oh yeah. Those games seem good too." But I don't think it will hurt anything, and any increase can be good.