By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony should buy some Cloud service: I found a good one.

Scoobes said:
J_Allard said:

If "Sony's cloud" can already accomplish what Gaikai does then why don't we have Gaikai now? Also, Titanfall is on 360 because they are using MS's cloud for that version as well.

Either way, LOL @ the idea that Gaikai is equal to the cloud infrastructure of MS, Amazon, or Google. If they had that type of setup in place, they would have been worth way more than 380 million dollars. Just look at the other thread about MS investing 700 million dollars just for one datacenter for this stuff. Sony and Gaikai are wayyyyy behind.

It doesn't need to. Gaikai is a dedicated gaming service. Those companies have cloud services for a whole range of features and MS have only recently added gaming to the list. Comparing Gaikai with the likes of Azure is like comparing a swiss army knife with a screw driver and trying to decide which is better.

Which is exactly what I am saying. It is a silly comparison.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
J_Allard said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Dude...Sony hasn't even scratched the surface on detailing the abilities of the system they've come up with on Gaikai. We do know Sony has been interested in cloud gaming for a while. They had cloud saving on Plus for a long time bro.

Doesn't change a word I said. Cloud saving is not the same as running games via the cloud, not even close. Gaikai was not amazing performance wise before Sony bought them, and Sony has shown nothing to lead us to believe they have drastically improved. Saying the PS4 can run the same cloud powered features as Xbone just because of Gaikai is just FUD until Gaikai shows us they have stepped their game up.

I mean.. you said that since Sony bought Gaikai, that means PS4 can handle Titanfall just like Xbone. There's no guarantee that just because Sony has Gaikai that it means they have the same amount of servers, the same performance on those servers, the same price to use those servers, etc etc. Not all clouds are built the same. It would be like me saying hey Naughty Dog got Last of Us looking pretty amazing on PS3, that means MS can have Rareware make it look just as good on Xbox 360.

Dude...Gaikai might not be amazing to you as it was, but it with Sonys investments it will become more than it was. The only thing they've told us about Gaikai was in the beginning so far for the instant gaming, quicker downloads, game sharing process and the better servers at the PS4 unveiling. They said they will be talking more about Gaikai later on. Gaikai is being used to enhance the gaming process and the OS Sony is using. They will not go overboard like MS was. Sometimes restraint is a good thing and as you can see with MS lack of restraint gets you into trouble. The DRM issue was probably one of the worst backlashes in gaming history and right behind it is  RROD and then Sonys Internet hackings.

What investments? When did Sony say anything about quicker downloads or better servers? Link please, I am genuinely curious. DRM is entirely irrelevant here. And I'll take "going overboard" and letting us know what is coming over pure silence and promises which lead to speculation as you are doing regarding what Gaikai may or may not eventually maybe someday might become.

Gaikai was a better looking OnLive with bad latency. We'll see if its anything better for PS4.

thranx said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
sales2099 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

What does a 700 million dollar investment have to do with controlling ai and gaining extra graphical power? That cloud isnt just for gaming. If it was the price wouldn't be so high. The DRM was cloudbased, im sure which is why being online at least once was needed. Azure is supposed to be a system in itself outside of the normal Xbox Live OS.

Well we do know its also for the bolstering of its vast amount of dedicated servers, maybe for a upcoming MMO, but im sure well know more practical uses as time goes by

As I said before though, thats nothing the gaikai based cloud computing cannot accomplish themselves. Both consoles will be in on the cloud trend as they started with it during this current gen and it will continue to grow. Sony will focus on gaming and user experience, MS will use it for much more than just that. I don't really care what that is though, but yeah. I only buy consoles to game. I know the numbers they are putting into the cloud is impressive, but I am sure theres more to be said about its use besides because the reports of MS taking parts of Gamestops profit also was apart of the cloud computing. The Cloud was the bedding for DRM process. The azure system was going to be used to make contact with Gamestop for Xbox One games. For Xbox Gamers thank goodness this was not accomplished.

You should care. its because MS has far more uses for the cloud that theirs will be better. They will use the same servers for gaming or for business applications. Since ms has a large and spreadout business clientel they have server in many countries. Since they deal with busineses they must also be sure to maintain the network and not have any outages. Sony only using their cloud for games would mean there is not a need or revenue source to justify in expanding data centers or making data centers world wide. But really you cant compare the two. One is in the leading edge of the cloud, and the second biggest player in the cloud, the other would be lucky to crack top 5 cloud companies. with the cloud being effective and fast is going to rtequire data centers all over the world.

Gaikai was named the largest gaming cloud network by  Guinness world records last year. They have data centers all over the world. That's the whole point. Stop acting like sony is down and out on the one thing that matters to gamers and it's the games. Who cares if MS has the largest cloud network when most of it isn't going to be used for live. 

Mmmfishtacos said:

Gaikai was named the largest gaming cloud network by  Guinness world records last year. They have data centers all over the world. That's the whole point. Stop acting like sony is down and out on the one thing that matters to gamers and it's the games. Who cares if MS has the largest cloud network when most of it isn't going to be used for live. 

To add to that, it's not like developers themselves can't set up dedicated cloud servers specifically for their game, it's not like Sony has to provide the servers.
For instance EA generally likes to run everything on their own servers, even Xbox stuff, so if Cloud processing became a big feature, companies like EA will probably continue to use it's own infrustructure, not Microsoft's or Sony's.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Mmmfishtacos said:
thranx said:

You should care. its because MS has far more uses for the cloud that theirs will be better. They will use the same servers for gaming or for business applications. Since ms has a large and spreadout business clientel they have server in many countries. Since they deal with busineses they must also be sure to maintain the network and not have any outages. Sony only using their cloud for games would mean there is not a need or revenue source to justify in expanding data centers or making data centers world wide. But really you cant compare the two. One is in the leading edge of the cloud, and the second biggest player in the cloud, the other would be lucky to crack top 5 cloud companies. with the cloud being effective and fast is going to rtequire data centers all over the world.

not sure if your serious or not with guiness world records thing. MS is rated the number 2 cloud service, preceeded by amazon, and followed by google. I believe there are another 3 or so semi big companies after that.

With MS azure the cluod can be used for anything, gaming or otehrwise as needed. Its flexible. Its not tied to one thing or the other, but is used as needed. that is the idea behind the cloud. I never said sony was down and out. I was simply stating that its because of MS's many uses for its cloud that it is bigger and worth more to invest. It would not suprise me one bit to see sony use Azure (just like apple does).

Around the Network

It's worth noting that these are MICROSOFT servers, not XBOX servers. There is a difference and that difference means what developers who rent out these servers can use them however they like on whatever platforms they wish. Even PS4.

VGKing said:
It's worth noting that these are MICROSOFT servers, not XBOX servers. There is a difference and that difference means what developers who rent out these servers can use them however they like on whatever platforms they wish. Even PS4.

And pay MS to use them more importantly.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

thranx said:
Mmmfishtacos said:
thranx said:

not sure if your serious or not with guiness world records thing. MS is rated the number 2 cloud service, preceeded by amazon, and followed by google. I believe there are another 3 or so semi big companies after that.

With MS azure the cluod can be used for anything, gaming or otehrwise as needed. Its flexible. Its not tied to one thing or the other, but is used as needed. that is the idea behind the cloud. I never said sony was down and out. I was simply stating that its because of MS's many uses for its cloud that it is bigger and worth more to invest. It would not suprise me one bit to see sony use Azure (just like apple does).

Its real look it up.  Gaikai is pretty big. And all clouds are flexible because its nothing more than a collection of server farms

Mmmfishtacos said:
thranx said:

Its real look it up.  Gaikai is pretty big. And all clouds are flexible because its nothing more than a collection of server farms

I tried. couldn't find it. Yes all clouds are flexible. MS just has more servers in more locations and is expanding at a faster rate, by pushing more money into it, making it more flexible, and lower latency which was my original point.

sales2099 said:
VGKing said:

And pay MS to use them more importantly.

Yes, the developers would be paying Microsoft to use the servers. Obviously they aren't free.