By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo planning another Wii accessory. Head Tracking, here we go?

The definition states it converts speech into data - surely if it was used for the speaker then it would convert data into speech.

The DS has a mic in it - it's not that unrealistic for the wii to have this feature also, even if not the fact still remains that somebody has disected the Wiimote and studied it's contents

Around the Network

I vote on garbage.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Joke, but a head tracking thing will come out one day.

Wii Fit is rapidly beating PS3...

Playing now: Apollo Justice, Majora's Mask

Going to play: Little King Story

"As long as there is a Triforce, there will be a Zelda  As long as there is a prosperous kingdom, there will be an evil that wants destroy it And as long as there is an oppressive force running Hyrule, there will be a boy, in a green tunic, with a silver shield, and a magic blade, to stand against them."-The Legend of Zelda
kingofwale said:
head-tracking (at least demonstrated by Lee) uses two stationary points on the head. by tracking the distace between the 2 points and the location of the point, it can head-track

with one wiimote on the head and the glasses that stated "do nothing", it won't give you the precises distance between you and the sensor bar, it will only be able to track your location, no distance.

Epic Fail. (Whoops, wrong thread?)

Uh, no. MAJOR fail.

The Wiimote tracks its precise location in relation to the Sensor Bar - in full 3D. X, Y, and Z axis positioning (provided it isn't turned away from the sensor bar). That's why, in games like Red Steel, you can move the Wiimote closer to the screen to "zoom" your gun's scope in closer.

With the Wiimote mounted on the head, it will still do EXACTLY the same thing - except in a "headtracking" method, instead. 

However, this patent is likely not the way this concept will be executed. This patent was most likely just protecting themselves from patent trolling. 

SW-5120-1900-6153

As I written before if anyone has a patient on head tracking it would be NaturalPoint which start out as a mouse replacement for armless people. Their latest version for games tracks in 6D movement (uses 3 points instead on wii 2).

Around the Network

Ya! It's lunch time. So here is the explination I promised.

IR alone:
Because you will be facing the tv (and thus the IR emiter) most of the time, the only way to tell how much of angle you are veiwing the tv at is to compare how close the IR dots are. This has two problems.
1. The veiwed distence between the dots would change as you moved closer and further from the screen. This would make it seem like the angle is changing when you are only moving closer to and further from the TV.
2. There is no way to figure out which side of the tv you are on. The dots are "veiwed" to be the same distance from both sides of the screen at the same angles. (This assumes that you are looking at the tv, which you have to do if you want to play the game.

Wiimote:
Picture the wiimote as it would be in the diagram. Say the Z axis is pointing out of the IR camera, the Y axis is pointing straight up, and the X axis is pointing away from the head.
If the person moves right or left the X axis would show acceleration.
If the person moves up or down the Y axis would show acceleration.
If the person moves forward or back the Z axis would show acceleration.
This gives you the basic movments.
If a person turns their head then both the X & Z axises would show acceleration. (The center of the head is the rotaion point due to the neck being the piviot point)

The IR camera would only be used to verify the calculated position of all these movements.

Any questions?

@ JHawkNH
Isn't the Wii motion sensor not as responsive as the IR? Also as you noted the Wi isn't really design for the IR/mote to do head tracking especially in 6D movement as you need a third point. What you describe sound a lot more harder to pull off than just adding a third point for the IR camera to track, thus a completely different device is needed as in Wii-fit.

Smidlee said:
@ JHawkNH
Isn't the Wii motion sensor not as responsive as the IR? Also as you noted the Wi  isn't really design for the IR/mote to do head tracking especially in 6D movement as you need a third point. What you describe sound a lot more harder to pull off than just adding a third point for the IR to track, thus a completely different device is needed as in Wii-fit.

Actually I believe the motion sensors are more responsive then the IR camera.  The reason it is not used for pointing is because you need to know the start position of the remote, and there is no way to determine which way it is facing without a point of referance.  The is the reason of the IR being used in the pointer function.

And yes it will be slightly harder to track the 3D position of the wiimote, but it would not be as hard as you think.  The calculated position of the Wiimote would be verified by the IR and adjustments made as needed.

This is not the same head tracking that was on u tube it works wackwads. the remone has to be stationary and there should be infared sensors on the glasses, unless im an idiot and i donno what im talikg bout (please correct me if thats the case) but here is the link to real headtracking.

antfromtashkent said:
This is not the same head tracking that was on u tube it works wackwads. the remone has to be stationary and there should be infared sensors on the glasses, unless im an idiot and i donno what im talikg bout (please correct me if thats the case) but here is the link to real headtracking.

No. Johnny Lee Chung sets it up that way, but it DOES NOT have to be switched around. It can most certainly be done just fine without being switched.

SW-5120-1900-6153