By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One DRM May Return in the Future

Previously, 81% of the people who voted here said they wouldn't trust Microsoft again. For good reason, it seems:

"Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future."
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4446308/xbox-one-family-sharing-plan-cloud-library-price-cut-plans

Sony said they never intended to have DRM on PS4 in the first place, and they publically stated there won't be any. They put themselves in a position where they can't introduce a DRM-system akin to Microsoft's on PS4. Microsoft just left the backdoor open to try again once people are locked in.

By the way, I urge you to read the entire statement; there is so much spinning you could use it to power a centrifuge. If this doesn't make your BS-detector tingle, then you may not have one.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Around the Network

Yeah, OK... I'm sure after winning back their consumer base with dropping the always online DRM thing, they'll just randomly decide to implement it at some point in the future, because... um.... REASONS!

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Interesting...Maybe they just put this digital only dream on hold for a year or two and then they continue?

Would be great if they did, cause right now Xbox One feels like a console with a vision that has been compromised...

NightDragon83 said:
after winning back their consumer base

That remains to be seen. If they won't even promise to keep Xbone DRM-free, maybe the "winning back" process won't go quite as well.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

Really no company 100% writes off anything

Around the Network

Not gonna happen, they've had a hard enough time trying to implement it for a system that isn't out yet, I dunno how they would get away with changing something so drastically with a product someone has already bought. That's vastly anti consumer moreso than the original idea and would 'not be as described' and possibly 'fit for purpose' for a certain amount of consumers. Would break so many trading standard codes.

I think they mean next gen perhaps, in which case I bet they're (along with Sony) are gonna go all digital.

Damnyouall said:

Previously, 81% of the people who voted here said they wouldn't trust Microsoft again. For good reason, it seems:

"Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future."
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/19/4446308/xbox-one-family-sharing-plan-cloud-library-price-cut-plans

What? You don't get assurance by now as many things are going to be changed now in Xbone-ecosystem. Ask Obama if he wouldn't start a war again, like Bush. What do you think the answer will be? Don't try to steal momentum with hypothetical things.

The crowd requested a change, it happened. And still threads like this have to come up. Also the poll is ridiculous. I don't know any poll that the Sony-fanbase lost.

Yeah, my trust with MS is damaged as well.

Remember Sega with pulling 32X, Saturn off the market so early. This damaged their rep so bad that no one trusted Dreamcast which is why it tanked.

I bet MS instead even prepared to undo their DRM procedures at this moment, but they've given themselves ample time to correct it.

Damnyouall said:
NightDragon83 said:
after winning back their consumer base

That remains to be seen. If they won't even promise to keep Xbone DRM-free, maybe the "winning back" process won't go quite as well.

What do you exactly want? It reads as if you wanted them to do it again but why?

I wont be surprised if they do so. If a company cant believe in their philosophy they can do anything.