By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GDC08 : Xbox360 vs PS3 : a fight for the GFX Supremacy !

About 1 year ago, Gears of War was out exclusively on Xbox360 : best game of 2006 for some people but, for everybody, a very beautifull game with amazing gfx. In the same time, on the PS3's boat, Killzone2 was not shown during the whole 2006 year and Motorstorm/Resistance gfx were disapointing (even if it was in open space compared to GoW).

Today, the difference between the 2 consoles in term of gfx is small. Most of the multiplateform games are better on Xbox360 but some first PS3 party games like Ratchet or Unchartred demonstrate that the PS3 is not powerless.

These 2 consoles have bet on the "high end gfx" for their success. The PS3 is more recent, is more expensive, and so is supposed to be "the most powerfull "next-gen" console" (it was also claimed by Sony PR I suppose).

The 2 consoles are very different in term of hardware specs, but, whatever the specs of the 2 consoles, the only thing that will count is : GAMES

During the GDC, we will see the sequel of one of the most beautifull Xbox360 game (GoWII), the sequel of one of the most acclaimed Xbox360 game (Forza3) VS one of the more hyped PS3 game (KZ2) and the sequel of one of the first PS3 game (ResistanceII)

So what will happen during the GDC ???

Will Epic be able to push the Xbox360 beyond what they have done with GoW1 ?

Will Forza3 keep the realistic damage modelisation and match the quality of the GT5's car models ?

Will Guerilla reveal the "true" power of the PS3 and reach a cinematic level ?

Will Insomniac succeed to improve the gfx of Resistance and keep a "big open area" gameplay ?

For the PS3, It is a very important moment to try to show the power gap that exists (or not) between the 2 consoles.

For the Xbox360, It is a very important moment to underline it is NOT outdated and it is still able to match the more recent PS3.

any comments ?

Time to Work !

Around the Network

When is GDC?

I saw a lot of posts lately about GDC so it must be soon?

Will be a very interesting battle....

But I say it now

KZ2 won't be there at GDC....it will have a HUGE showing {again} at E3

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Yes when actually is GDC?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

libellule said:

I think so, but not by a huge margin. I think Gears was brushing the ceiling of what the 360 can do in terms of graphics.

Will Forza3 keep the realistic damage modelisation and match the quality of the GT5's car models ?

Not a chance.

Will Guerilla reveal the "true" power of the PS3 and reach a cinematic level ?

I doubt the graphics will be pushed much further then what was shown at E3 07.

Will Insomniac succeed to improve the gfx of Resistance and keep a "big open area" gameplay ?

Improve it over what? The original? definetly.

The screenshots released a few weeks back? Yes, but I doubt there will be a huge difference, just touch ups in the lighting and textures.  

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
When is GDC?

I saw a lot of posts lately about GDC so it must be soon?

GDC is Feb. 18-22nd.

I think people are putting too much weight on GDC. It sounds like MS is the only one of the big three that's going to present a lot of stuff, which makes me wonder what they're going to have left for the real game shows like E3, TGS, and everything inbetween.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Sony should have a few announcements but mostly they will release new dev tools to assist devs on making good games.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Sony will most likely use kz2 and resistance 2 as their show peices and explain to developrs theis is how you make make good graphics using the cell and this is how we do online. Maybe show a trailer of White knight story and the team ico game(s).

ssj12 said:
Sony should have a few announcements but mostly they will release new dev tools to assist devs on making good games.

I don't understand why Sony hasn't sent a team to EA yet to show them how to port to the PS3 properly

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Dallinor said:
libellule said:

I think so, but not by a huge margin. I think Gears was brushing the ceiling of what the 360 can do in terms of graphics.

Will Forza3 keep the realistic damage modelisation and match the quality of the GT5's car models ?

Not a chance.

Will Guerilla reveal the "true" power of the PS3 and reach a cinematic level ?

I doubt the graphics will be pushed much further then what was shown at E3 07.

Improve it over what? The original? definetly.

The screenshots released a few weeks back? Yes, but I doubt there will be a huge difference, just touch ups in the lighting and textures.

Better graphics will come from better programing. As time goes on, better dev tools will be released and newer game engines will boost graphics. 

Also, if MS ever makes the Harddrive mandatory then you'll see a huge boost in graphics( ex. no more pop in textures ala Mass Effect).

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)