By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-Gen (2018) will be digital only, online required, streaming entertainment boxes.

This is stupid. I don't want to make this a science project, I just want to play video games.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

No way in hell Nintendo is going digital only next gen.

100% digital by 2018 won't happen. Maybe 50/50, and that is in the USA. But also doesn't count that many games will only be on PN or Live, and not sold at retailers. People like owning disks, like myself. Jack Tretton also laughed at this idea, and quite frankly, I agree wholeheartedly.

KINGviATor said:

100% digital by 2018 won't happen. Maybe 50/50, and that is in the USA. But also doesn't count that many games will only be on PN or Live, and not sold at retailers. People like owning disks, like myself. Jack Tretton also laughed at this idea, and quite frankly, I agree wholeheartedly.

He laughed at it now because its strategically good to do so due to negative feeback on Xbone. However, why do you think Gaikai is there and PSN+? They will push digital hard with PS4 and PS5 will only have that as an option.

Oh no but if all the games become digital I'll probably have to buy a huge hard drive...no thanks I don't want to waste money in additional hard drives

Around the Network

I doubt Nintendo will abandon discs next gen if they even release a Wii U successor and I really doubt 2018 will be another gen for Sony and MS.

AshKetchum1992 said:
Oh no but if all the games become digital I'll probably have to buy a huge hard drive...no thanks I don't want to waste money in additional hard drives

By the time all games go digital, Hard drives will be the price of Thumb drives today.

Nope, internet speed will still suck for the majority of the world, maybe Microsoft will go digital only for XboxTwo but Nintendo and Sony sure wont. Btw Next next gen will start in christmas 2019 for Microsoft and Sony,

4K blu-ray format is expected next year, I wouldn't even be able to download half of a 4K movie with my bandwidth cap. I don't expect it to be much improved in 2018 unless someone has billions of dollars laying around to update the old infrastructure.

Anyway I'm rather fond of my CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/Games collection. I don't want to trade that for a menu screen.
Digital living next to physical is fine. Instant streaming demos, bring it on. That would make me actually try those 1h ps+ game trials.

SvennoJ said:
4K blu-ray format is expected next year, I wouldn't even be able to download half of a 4K movie with my bandwidth cap. I don't expect it to be much improved in 2018 unless someone has billions of dollars laying around to update the old infrastructure.

Anyway I'm rather fond of my CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/Games collection. I don't want to trade that for a menu screen.
Digital living next to physical is fine. Instant streaming demos, bring it on. That would make me actually try those 1h ps+ game trials.

Did you not read my part on the changes already occurring in internet infrastructure?

Throughout the world there are changes like Google's Fiber that will alleviate data caps.

Throughout poorer nations there are pushes to greatly expect cellular including the latest tech (LTE) that will blanket large urban areas with cheaper high-bandwidth wireless internet.

5yrs is a long time in tech.