By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony's New PSP Campaign - 'Dude, Get Your Own'

I've seen the new ads. Maybe I'm too old or something, but I don't see the appeal. An annoying guy sits next to a guy playing a PSP and bothers the hell out of him. Not fun or sexy at all. 

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16013

Sony's New PSP Campaign - 'Dude, Get Your Own'

Dude, you're getting a Dell! ... or maybe make that a PSP. Sony has unveiled a new marketing campaign for its PSP in the wake of the recent price cut on the portable. Sony hopes it will make the system more appealing to a teenage audience.

In an effort to help boost sales of its PlayStation Portable following the official price drop down to $169, Sony Computer Entertainment America today announced the launch of an all-new national marketing campaign titled "Dude, Get Your Own."

Sony said the ads will use "a humorous style to communicate the PSP's status as a coveted portable entertainment system offering high-quality games on-the-go, as well as multimedia features such as video and music playback." A TV spot will air now through the end of May during shows that typically appeal to the gamer demographic, such as King of the Hill (FOX), South Park (Comedy Central), Adult Swim (Cartoon Network), the NBA Playoffs (TNT), Saturday Night Live (NBC), and WWE Smackdown (CW).

Furthemore, SCEA will introduce six vignettes (online, at retail and through other channels) that build on the TV spot. The vignettes will be at the heart of the online campaign running through July and will be featured mainly on sites that deal with gaming and lifestyle, including IGN.com, GameSpot.com, Maxim.com and ESPN.com. As a complement to this, Sony is also launching an interactive promotional site where the vignettes will be rolled out sequentially and where consumers interested in PSP can find more information. The final component of the campaign will be a simple direct mail piece, to be distributed later this month.

SCEA said that the ads are deliberately designed to focus on the 13 to 17-year-old demographic, which the company describes as "a key target audience for the PSP system this year." Indeed, a number of analysts have already hinted that Sony would attempt to go after the younger audience with the PSP, but they're certainly not going to have an easy time of it with the Nintendo DS dominating the market.

SCEA also noted that since the PSP price was slashed back on April 3, the company has seen PSP hardware and software sales "spark" at retailers, although no hard data was provided. According to NPD results through March, the DS has outsold the PSP in the U.S. 10.4 million units to 7.2 million units. 

Around the Network

If there's one thing Sony needs to do ... it's clean up their PR/Marketing department.

Cause it stinks. 

Dolla Dolla said:

If there's one thing Sony needs to do ... it's clean up their PR/Marketing department.

Cause it stinks. 

Please Sony's marketing has been more than fine. The PSP marketing early on was actually very good. The fact that the DS is creaming it has to do with it being a product with wide appeal. I do think the PSP has a huge opportunity to close the gap. The next step is a PSP redesign, because honestly they're getting out-sexied by the DS Lite and as long as they do the gap will stay like it is.

Christopher_G2 said:

The next step is a PSP redesign, because honestly they're getting out-sexied by the DS Lite and as long as they do the gap will stay like it is.

Out-sexied by the DS Lite.....

The DS Lite certainly is a better looking unit than the NDS, but it wasn't hard to make it look better seeing as the original DS was stinking.  The DS Lite does look nice....but the PSP still looks sleeker and sexier.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Christopher_G2 said:

Please Sony's marketing has been more than fine.

... no, it hasn't. There has been so much controversy surrounding PSP ads (black vs white, if you remember, and those freaky looking dust balls, or whatever they are).

Not only that, but the marketing of the PS3 in Europe has been ... wow.

Their PR and Marketing has been bad. Plain and simple. I don't see how you can say otherwise.

Around the Network
Christopher_G2 said:
Dolla Dolla said:

Cause it stinks. 

Please Sony's marketing has been more than fine. The PSP marketing early on was actually very good. The fact that the DS is creaming it has to do with it being a product with wide appeal. I do think the PSP has a huge opportunity to close the gap. The next step is a PSP redesign, because honestly they're getting out-sexied by the DS Lite and as long as they do the gap will stay like it is.

Sony has pissed more people off with their attempts to be cool with the PSP than anything else they have done:

<a href="http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony/sonys-psp-graffiti-is-pissing-people-off-140940.php">link</a>

Sony has been trying to break into street team urban advertising with their annoying PSP graffiti. They've been putting this artwork up in major cities like Philadelphia, NYC, Miami, and others. I've seen this stuff around Philly and it looks absolutely retarded, so it should come as no suprise that graffiti artists are taking matters into their own hands by tagging over the pre-made Sony art and leaving their own tags that pretty much say "Bite me." The resulting imbroglio is almost enough to turn me off my Lumines!

Don't forget their "Awsome" Squrriel commercials

Their White is comming advertizements

but this is from the company that brought us Sony Jesus so what can you really expect

PSP is going after the teen demographic, is that really news? Most people that have it already are the teens.

Holy crap I forgot about those squirrel commercials they seem sooo long ago, they were awesome.... PSP redesign should have come after Sony saw how much better DS did with the DS lite.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Dude release GT portable and i will, or when GOW hits either one.

Sony Jesus: He died for our Blu-Ray. 

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh my God. These ads, man. Killin' me.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!