By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “You’re all being played” Bleszinski slams Sony’s lack of used game blockers as a PR tactic

ArnoldRimmer said:
My personal impression so far is that Sony simply leaves the question of DRM up to the developers/publishers.

Meaning yes, there may be games with DRM on PS4, but there is no console enforced DRM like on Xbone.

So if it was true that AAA titles and used games cannot coexist (I doubt it), then the game publishers can address these problems themselves. In which case we can only hope that people just won't buy the game.

Gamer entitlement seems to be at an all-time high. Hope people won't buy a game because it doesn't allow used copies? Guess what? AAA games cost WAY more to make than average titles, and yet, they still only cost $60. Do people get more play time out of Halo's and CoD's, on average, than on soem shovelware that cost a fraction as much to make? yes. And under a "no used game system", you essentially pay slightly more for that priviledge, the full cost of the disc, instead of the cost of the disc minus trade in value.

For some reason, gamers will compare games to other property ("It's mine, I should be allowed to resell it!") when it comes to used copies, but oh no, it's totally different when it comes to PAYING for it. If a company put out a AAA title and charged $100 because it cost more to make, then gamers would boycott it for charging too much. Suddenly it's not like other property - costing 5x as much to make doesnt' justify an increase in price.

Guess what? Gamers also complain when all their favorite developers get gobbled up by EA and Activision, and then are forced to pump out franchise installments every 18 months, but take no responsibility for the fact that the little guys can't survive in a world where consumers have no flexibility.

Around the Network

Guys is 100% and obviously a liar to state that new game development is negatively impacted by used game markets.

Seems to be highly successful for movies, cars, clothes, etc and so on.

I think people are being played by Cliff,

Cliffy B has a lot of say when it comes to the gaming industry.
Also his wife is probably hotter then all of yours.

It's just that simple.

osed125 said:

Cliff being a douchebag aside, I wonder how many devs think the same way? Or even more importantly how many publishers think the same way...

Or rather how many publishers would wanna risk being shot in the face by the backlash happening to MS right now.

Around the Network

It's actually brilliant in a way. By keeping quiet and letting the fans talk for them, Sony can later on implement DRM and the average consumer will be clueless. The Sony fan base will be all for it just like they are now suddenly behind paying to access multi player, even in this you see peoples opinions softening to DRM and comparing it to Steam.

When Skyrim came out, it was 59.99 on Steam just like it was on PS3/360. Steam games are not cheaper than retail. They just go on sale more often. Developers have more control over pricing on Steam then they do retail outlets but they are for the most part charging the same price for games.

Personally I don't agree with Cliffy. It sounds like someone who is upset with the public cheer at Sony. It's not a surprise really, ironically Jason Rubin was similar on Gametrailers, didnt want to say anything negative at all about MS. Do they have a motive, probably not, but as the games industry is quite small you want to make sure you don't upset anyone.

Good games on the whole sell. If a company makes just AAA games and you will struggle to survive unless you are Rockstar. Why - because as Insomniac have found out, selling a full price game in a worldwide recession where gamers are bored with the current gen is a difficult task.

Diversity in your portfolio is the key.

Do I think Sony will go back on their plans for DRM... no, I think that is just wishful thinking from some members of the community.

Ironically the whole DRM debate is now being used by some people as a "At least MS are supporting publishers as they cannot make enough money" who are also saying how amazing "Friends and family sharing a game across 10 people is". I suspect these next few months are going to be unbearable as a gamer.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

2 ways the used game market actually helps the AAA New game market ..

1. People are able to trade in old games for credit.. or sell their games.. in order to purchase the new games..

2. If you are on the fence about a new game that is an installment of a running series.. sometimes.. getting a used copy(or renting) of an earlier piece of that franchise on the cheap is bought and inspires sales on the new installment.. as does renting (If people have not played the series before)

3. Someone rents the title loves it.. because it reminds them of another game and buys it.

4. Rentals especially can help get the word out.

Way the used game markets/rentals can hurt the triple AAA markets.

1. you rent/buy a copy of a game in the long running franchise... or another game .. like the AAA title.. and it seems to similar...

2. You just choose to rent instead of buy... or you rent and are not impressed of the AAA title...(You will never fix this)

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Gamegears said:
2 ways the used game market actually helps the AAA New game market ..

1. People are able to trade in old games for credit.. or sell their games.. in order to purchase the new games..

2. If you are on the fence about a new game that is an installment of a running series.. sometimes.. getting a used copy(or renting) of an earlier piece of that franchise on the cheap is bought and inspires sales on the new installment.. as does renting (If people have not played the series before)

3. Someone rents the title loves it.. because it reminds them of another game and buys it.

4. Rentals especially can help get the word out.

Way the used game markets/rentals can hurt the triple AAA markets.

1. you rent/buy a copy of a game in the long running franchise... or another game .. like the AAA title.. and it seems to similar...

2. You just choose to rent instead of buy... or you rent and are not impressed of the AAA title...(You will never fix this)

Whoops I actually up with 4 ways the used and rental market helps sorry

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Sorry cliffy but you're as numb as Microsoft. You are looking at the market from the publisher perspective, not the consumers perspective. You cannot force people to buy what they dont want.

If the current model is not sustainable, you need to find a model that the consumer finds fair, you cannot force them to just do whatever you want.
Also, triple AAA titles are in themselves the problem. I wouldnt cry a tear if they went away.