By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - “You’re all being played” Bleszinski slams Sony’s lack of used game blockers as a PR tactic

Ryudo said:
It's easy to defend greed when you own 2 Ferrari's.

He'd have 3 if it wasn't for pirates though. AArrrhhh!

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Wasn't CliffyB the best thing since slice bread to Sony fans a month or two ago?

Sony really have painted themselves into a corner with DRM as the vitriol they would get if they ever did a u-turn would kill this generation for them, the backlash would be immense. They've set in stone their path for the next 10 years, we'll see if they made the right decision in a few years time. That PR stunt could be very very costly if Microsoft's vision pans out.

sony said at e3 that they wouldnt block used games it was up to the publishers . to me that sounds like they have a form of drm already .nobody seems to mention it though

Kyuu said:

Like Microsoft, Sony is giving the option for publishers to go "DRM" it's just not "imposed as a console policy" which is what Microsoft was initially rumored to do. Sony's first party titles will be 100% DRM-free but its not up for them to decide what other publishers will do with their games (pretty much the PS3/X360 policy)

The rage against Microsoft is caused due to a lot of mess ups, DRM just happened to be one of them. While Sony went ahead and made themselves clear by saying "DRM is NOT imposed" Microsoft didn't want to comment on their policies. This made people even more skeptic. Larry Hryb himself said Microsoft is failing at making itself clear.

Microsoft wasnt rumored to have DRM, the heart of the Xbones infrastructure is their Azure network authentication system which locks out used games. It was going to lock out every game that wasnt new and put up a paywall, but apparently the blacklash has caused them to state contradictions to the initial statements, which means they are back peddling and doing exactly what Sony is doing which is not implmenting DRM, but leaving it up to third parties. EA is backing off from the DRM because all eyes are on them. Sony played it smart and let the people do the talking and now EA is stepping back. 

slowmo said:
Wasn't CliffyB the best thing since slice bread to Sony fans a month or two ago?

Sony really have painted themselves into a corner with DRM as the vitriol they would get if they ever did a u-turn would kill this generation for them, the backlash would be immense. They've set in stone their path for the next 10 years, we'll see if they made the right decision in a few years time. That PR stunt could be very very costly if Microsoft's vision pans out.

On your first point, why? I generally have always thought he was a dick.

2nd, you are exactly right, if Sony were to go back on what they said it essentially would be the worst decision they could make which is why they now probably won't make it. Regardless of the money they may lose to piracy.

HappyHenry said:
sony said at e3 that they wouldnt block used games it was up to the publishers . to me that sounds like they have a form of drm already .nobody seems to mention it though

Yes, the exactly the same as this generation. We all mention it all the time.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
HappyHenry said:

The same amount of DRM we have in the PS3 is the same amount the PS4 has, thats what that means. 

This is why I'm switching camps.

http://spong.com/article/29835/Sony-on-Game-Ownership-If-You-Buy-It-You-Own-It

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

The Fury said:
slowmo said:

On your first point, why? I generally have always thought he was a dick.

I just don't like people flip flopping when it suits them, he's either a dick or he isn't, pick one and stick by it.  I happen to agree with you thats he's abit of a attention seeking dick but then again he is good at what he does so perhaps he has a right to be a little bit of a dick.

Moderated - Kresnik.

slowmo said:

I think Cliff is a great developer and public face, but there comes a time when you see his bias and where his money is. 

Cliffy has always had a bias towards Sony. When you watch old Bonus Rounds you can see it when they interviewed him as well.

Hes apart of the machine, and you know where who his race horse is.