By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The non-Halo three million plus seller. The 360 should be proud

The Xbox, despite some fun games, was largely known as the Halo console. Perhaps that has something to do with first and second Halo games selling 6.43 and 8.45 million respectively, while the closest game afterwards was Tom Clancy's Splinter Sell with 2.93 million. 

The true crime here is that Fable and Knights of the Old Republic deserved to sell far more, but that's for another thread.

What matters is that the Xbox had a 3 million ceiling which only the Master Chief could penetrate. But the 360 seems to have blown past that barrier. Despite being only half way through it's life span, the 360 already has four 3 million plus sellers that Aren't Halo.

Gears of War: 4.94 million (A guaranteed 5 mill plus game)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 4.5 million (ditto)

Forza Motorsport 2: 3.54 Million (yes it was bundled... So was Forza 1... your point?)

Assassin's Creed: 3.25 Million (nothing interesting, brackets unnecessary) 

And the system is guaranteed to see more. Gears, Assassin's and Call of Duty will all see further installments in the series. Grant Theft Auto is also an assured uber game. And there will likely be other hit games that we don't know of or can't predict sales of yet. 

These mega-game sales are signs of a healthier console than the first box. Oh sure Europe hasn't exactly caught fire and Japan is still a wet noodle in black hole wrapped in a skunks butt, but all 3 markets have seen increased hardware sales for the 360 and WW software is just plain looking good.

Discuss. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

nothing interesting, brackets unnecessary... :D

I think it's more interesting how CoD4 outsold Assassin's Creed greatly on the 360, but on the PS3 both games sales were practically the same.

But I don't want to change the theme of your thread and will stay on topic.

It shows how strong 360 is with software, people are buying it to play games, not much else, which is very good for any console. 3rd Party developpers can't afford to skip the 360 (unless the game isn't catered to that audience) because the owners have proven their support.

How dare you change the theme of my topic!

I think the reason for the COD/Ass Creed sales are mainly based on Region. Call of Duty is definitely more for the American crowd, and that's where the 360 is King.

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Without question, Microsoft's decision to get the 360 to market early and their hard work getting 3rd parties on board have assured that it will outperform its predecessor by a substantial margin. Breaking out of the NA market is definately the next long-term goal for the platform, but the 360 can only really set the stage for the next Xbox in that regard.

In the short-term, the next test for 360 will be GTA4. There's no doubt that it will sell excellently, but the question is whether it will move more units than the PS3 release. And perhaps more importantly, will it sell more hardware than the PS3 release? If GTA4 is a system seller for PS3, but doesn't push people to buy 360s in similar numbers, it could be a sign that 360 is close to market saturation.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

I really have to hand it to the XBox team. They knew that software is king so they went out and made the right deals and gave those teams a piece of hardware that seemed easy to develop for but also powerful.

This massive success is the reason that Sony and even Nintendo need to look over their shoulder if the trend continues next generation.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

famousringo said:
Without question, Microsoft's decision to get the 360 to market early and their hard work getting 3rd parties on board have assured that it will outperform its predecessor by a substantial margin. Breaking out of the NA market is definately the next long-term goal for the platform, but the 360 can only really set the stage for the next Xbox in that regard.

In the short-term, the next test for 360 will be GTA4. There's no doubt that it will sell excellently, but the question is whether it will move more units than the PS3 release. And perhaps more importantly, will it sell more hardware than the PS3 release? If GTA4 is a system seller for PS3, but doesn't push people to buy 360s in similar numbers, it could be a sign that 360 is close to market saturation.

While I still think the game will both sell more and sell more systems on the 360 than the Ps3 world wide, it is starting to look like the PS3 version will do significantly better in Europe. I expect the 360 to maintain current levels in Europe for the most part, with major games doing more to keep it buoyant than elevate it's sales.

But in NA... the 360 is about to usurp the PS3 as the Grand theft king. 

Good for the Xbox... Great job.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Indeed it is quite impressive. The 360's extensive and high-quality games library was the deciding factor for me when choosing between it and the PS3 for my second console to go with the Wii.

Doesn't matter; PS3 has a better attach rate and will be preffered by most 3rd parties. Yes.

/sarcasm