By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How much will the Wii U's Holiday Lineup Sell?

Tagged games:

Salnax said:
When Watch Dogs becomes the biggest new franchise of the 8th gen, you'll all come to respect and fear me!

;-p

Just how much are you expecting Watch Dogs to sell overall?  If it is like Assassin's Creed, then you are expecting 41% of lifetime and 26% of first year sales to happen on Wii U.  If the sales split was like Injustice we'd be looking at 102 million lifetime sales for Watch Dogs.  But seriously, you must be expecting something like 20 million.  That just doesn't seem realistic.

Around the Network
Salnax said:

I expect the Wii U to sell a total of about 9 or 10 million consoles throughout 2013.

I just read a report from CNN that is claiming Iwata said Nintendo expects to sell 9 million Wii U consoles this fiscal year.  Not impossible, but it depends very much so on whether or not they have a great holiday season in the US.  That means getting their reps out there and demoing Wii U games everywhere they can.  Heavy TV advertising for 3D World and Wind Waker, etc.  The US, at a peak, can account for almost 80% of Nintendo's worldwide business during the holiday selling season.  The reason Nintendo has been missing their forecasts the last two years is because their performance in the US during holiday 2011 and holiday 2012 was lackluster compared to 2006-2010. 

It's mostly because of tablets becoming the new "gifts to have" for nearly all age groups.  But it's also because the software has been lacking.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Screamapillar said:
Salnax said:

I expect the Wii U to sell a total of about 9 or 10 million consoles throughout 2013.

I just read a report from CNN that is claiming Iwata said Nintendo expects to sell 9 million Wii U consoles this fiscal year.  Not impossible, but it depends very much so on whether or not they have a great holiday season in the US.  That means getting their reps out there and demoing Wii U games everywhere they can.  Heavy TV advertising for 3D World and Wind Waker, etc.  The US, at a peak, can account for almost 80% of Nintendo's worldwide business during the holiday selling season.  The reason Nintendo has been missing their forecasts the last two years is because their performance in the US during holiday 2011 and holiday 2012 was lackluster compared to 2006-2010. 

It's mostly because of tablets becoming the new "gifts to have" for nearly all age groups.  But it's also because the software has been lacking.

Nintendo has been pulling back marketing funds to fuel a big marketing push. Which was pointless to spend unless you got a lot games to market. And they are now coming for the holidays.

Nintendo will have to do what you detail. They have no choice really and will perhaps even with do a pricecut. I would say they can push those 9 million.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I think Wii Party U will be better than that thanks to Japan and Watch Dogs will bomb on WiiU. I also doubt Wonderful 101 will ever hit 1m. Beyond that, I think your estimates are very probably. Well done!

IsawYoshi said:
HikenNoAce said:
IsawYoshi said:
HikenNoAce said:
Their biggest seller would probably be 5M lifetime.

No. It's a Nintendo console. A few Nintendo's first party's sells more than that, and some way more. 

Not seeing it this gen.

4/11 of all gamecube owners owned smash bros, and the same applied to Mario Kart. Both brands have grown since then. Nintendo wouldn't need to sell more than 15 mill. consoles to sell at least one 5 million game in it's lifetime. And it will.

They have grown because casuals adopted the Wii and they will buy the games that are the most popular on the system. I guess we will find out once games start getting releases on the WiiU. NSBWiiU doesn't seem like it will reach the 5M. When's the nexy big WiiU release?