By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

MMO would be good. Is Everquest an MMO, because I think something like Everquest 3 for PS3 would be quite the system seller.

Around the Network

It would be great if the devs of EQ online would be making a PS3 MMO. I loved that game on the PS3. Anyhow, SOE is developping The Agency for the PS3 and SE is making an MMO as well.

I'd pick up an MMO if it had a good amount of players, hopefully the game would attract a large amount of pc MMO players. Also if it was like Guild Wars instead of an Everquest game there shouldn't be a monthly fee.

There are a couple of great MMO's Ive heard coming to pc/ps3, The agency, and another game I cant seem to remember.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

I like the idea. I'm hoping that as with previous NCSoft titles the approach is buy the game, play for free. This would sit well with PSN being free vs Live for Sony and could give them an interesting additional angle for sales.

Something like Guid Wars would work perfectly on a Console and the Guild Wars business model would work great on PSN.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

I guess we'll see, Sony is behind Everquest, so its not entirely ruled out.
I do think however, that it will be hard to make an MMO as popular, available and profitable on a console versus a PC and this is probably a very big factor in why dev's choose the PC as the MMO platfrom of choice.

So much for the NCSoft rumour that it flipped to the 360

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Mummelmann@

Why? The barrier I always thought was the limited number of console players who would go online. That's certainly a thing of the past now. Funny to see console reviews saying 'hey, no multiplayer?' in exactly the same way PC game reviews started to many years ago.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I think an MMO has to be the most difficult thing in the world to develop. The big problem is that an MMO that isn't massively multiplayer just isn't fun. if you can't build up a significant hype no one will buy into. ...and with WoW soo huge i just don't know if there is enough room for any other MMO to be a sucess.

...and geez, how would you control it. MMO's have so much more complexity than normal games. I had over 40 hotkeys set for WoW.

Reasonable said:
Mummelmann@

Why? The barrier I always thought was the limited number of console players who would go online. That's certainly a thing of the past now. Funny to see console reviews saying 'hey, no multiplayer?' in exactly the same way PC game reviews started to many years ago.

Development costs, install base, no HDD to store files and/or expansions or downloadable content on and not to mention that console gamers generally are less fond of MMO's than PC gamers. Everquest, Everquest II and FFXI have performed very poorly on consoles compared to PC, so the incentives for making console MMO's are dwindling daily and seem unflinching in their decline. This is just the way the market is, Blizzard chose not to make a console version of WoW because they realized that it'd cost them more than it'd gain them.