By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How long until a slim PS3 comes out?

How long until a slim PS3 comes out?

i said 4 years?

and you? 

Vgchartz = Video...Charts

(On Machina request take off from my sign..........)

Around the Network

Late next year, probably in november which is the biggest month of the year concerning game launches and hardware premieres.
We'll see a slim 360 first, possibly unveiled at Leipzig this year.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/02/01/slim-ps3-hitting-shelves-this-fall/

I don't know if I trust the link but it says this fall.

Since sony has found a way to make the blu-ray laser smaller amongst other things id say.....maybe this fall? or at least mid '09

how long did it take for PS2 Slim to come out?

I'd say early next year, probably bundled in Japan first with one of the biggest game. (most likely FFXIII Versus)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

@Mummelmann We'll see a slim 360 first, possibly unveiled at Leipzig this year...

Considering the fact that MS is completely unable to deliver working product with the current XBox, what makes you think they can trim down the size, making thermal problems even more pronounced?

@Darmstr8 Since sony has found a way to make the blu-ray laser smaller amongst other things id say..

Sizing down the laser has no influence on the size of the PS3. There is no question that Sony engineers have been making  smaller sizes prototypes (and that the PS3 can be downsized, you gotta give them engineers something to do..). Going into production means investing in new tools, reprogramming and reassigning at least one assembly line from the current design to the new design. There is no need for Sony to risk those expenses. Maybe when competitors appear with smaller boxes and everybody thinks "Samller - this is the new buzzword" 

I'd imagine soon, Sony's been cutting down cost and size of components for a while, I'd also expect it soon because unlike the PS2, the PS3 has been more of a money sink, they want to shrink the cost of material's used by as much as they possibly can to regain profitability. Plus slim's are great for another surge in sales, which could be especially beneficial considering there 08 lineup.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

October 21st 2008.

Predictions for 2009: (Right) (Wrong) (Partial)

Pokemon Gold/Silver DS Japan in September

NES colored Wii and SNES Classic Controler for Christmas

Super Role Bros for Christmas

FF Remakes announced; VII PS3 VIII 360 IX Wii

New Super Mario World November 2009

drkohler said:

@Mummelmann We'll see a slim 360 first, possibly unveiled at Leipzig this year...

Considering the fact that MS is completely unable to deliver working product with the current XBox, what makes you think they can trim down the size, making thermal problems even more pronounced?

@Darmstr8 Since sony has found a way to make the blu-ray laser smaller amongst other things id say..

Sizing down the laser has no influence on the size of the PS3. There is no question that Sony engineers have been making smaller sizes prototypes (and that the PS3 can be downsized, you gotta give them engineers something to do..). Going into production means investing in new tools, reprogramming and reassigning at least one assembly line from the current design to the new design. There is no need for Sony to risk those expenses. Maybe when competitors appear with smaller boxes and everybody thinks "Samller - this is the new buzzword"

I know it'll be a challenge for MS hardware wise, but I think they'll recognize the need for a 360 slim, possibly in an effort to kick into gear Japan and EU/Others sales! This version could also suffer from poor quality and thermal issues, but if MS made use of more of their contacts (like ThermalTake or Asus) they could both shrink the chipsets and solve the heating issues fairly well.

I guess we'll see, but one thing is for certain; there will be a slim PS3 sometime in the near future. Probably not this year, but considerably earlier than in the case of PS or PS2 I think. The PS3 also needs a boost, and it is the console that has recieved the most pepper for it's bulky size and high weight.

Additionally, releasing a slim console delays the need for another price drop. If it can be done, it really is a win all around for Sony. I don't think it will happen this year, the price/size reductions would seem to have happened too quickly to be plausible, even by Sony standards. However if it happened, Sony could limit their price drops to one this year, and it may not even need to be $100.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS