By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - List of Third-Party Developers supporting the Wii

I really want Starcraft on VC... Or Starcraft Ghost for Wii!... Or Starcraft 2 for PC!

(No mothafokin Starcraft MMO called world of Starcraft... Cause im still in highschool... So then i can't play it cause it takes up all of your life)!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

@StarcraftManiac: Wouldn't Starcraft 2 for Wii be the best case scenario? :)

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Suda 51 works for Grashopper and it is on that list. As for epic games you just need to do a little search and you will see how many are being made on both the 360 and PS3 and they are A LOT.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

StarcraftManiac said:

I really want Starcraft on VC... Or Starcraft Ghost for Wii!... Or Starcraft 2 for PC!

(No mothafokin Starcraft MMO called world of Starcraft... Cause im still in highschool... So then i can't play it cause it takes up all of your life)!

I'd settle for the original StarCraft running on the DS :)

I'm sure its possible - and wouldn't that just be an awesome, kick-butt online title...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

First of all, Wii Sports is the first groundbreaking title of the generation. Second, if Nintendo OWNS a studio, that makes them FIRST PARTY. Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a "second party developer." Either a console-maker owns 51% of a company, or they don't. A "second party game" is a game made by a third party developer, but published by the first party, like Donkey Kong Country or Gears of War. And lastly... There are a handful of "epic" games on the Wii, but this is a thread in the SALES DISCUSSION board. Who cares if there aren't "epic" games, if all those third party developers are working on the next Nintendogs? (Well... They aren't... But non-epic games from at least a dozen different publishers have good sales potential on Wii.)

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
First of all, Wii Sports is the first groundbreaking title of the generation. Second, if Nintendo OWNS a studio, that makes them FIRST PARTY. Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as a "second party developer." Either a console-maker owns 51% of a company, or they don't. A "second party game" is a game made by a third party developer, but published by the first party, like Donkey Kong Country or Gears of War. And lastly... There are a handful of "epic" games on the Wii, but this is a thread in the SALES DISCUSSION board. Who cares if there aren't "epic" games, if all those third party developers are working on the next Nintendogs? (Well... They aren't... But non-epic games from at least a dozen different publishers have good sales potential on Wii.)

Second Party Developer is a term to describe the relationship between a developer who is published by (but not owned by) a First Party Publisher; often these relationships involve exclusive publishing contracts or partial ownership to add strenght to the relationship. The reason this is an important classification is that the developer will produce exclusive content for the console's of their publisher as long as the relationship lasts but the IP they created is usually not the property of the publisher.

Erik Aston said:
There are a handful of "epic" games on the Wii, but this is a thread in the SALES DISCUSSION board. Who cares if there aren't "epic" games, if all those third party developers are working on the next Nintendogs? (Well... They aren't... But non-epic games from at least a dozen different publishers have good sales potential on Wii.)

QFT

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

HappySqurriel said:Second Party Developer is a term to describe the relationship between a developer who is published by (but not owned by) a First Party Publisher; often these relationships involve exclusive publishing contracts or partial ownership to add strenght to the relationship. The reason this is an important classification is that the developer will produce exclusive content for the console's of their publisher as long as the relationship lasts but the IP they created is usually not the property of the publisher.

Strictly speaking, everything is either first party or third party, depending on who publishes it. A few people in here were saying Monolith was second party. Nintendo bought a controlling share of Monolith. That makes them first party.

"Second party" is really just a slang term. There are many different arrangements which could qualify as "second party," the only rule being that a game is developed by a third party, and published by a console-maker. It could be Square or Tose developing a one-off game with Nintendo characters, it could be a long-term relationship like Rare and Ninty had (and their continuing relationship for DS games), or it could be an exclusive publishing deal for one IP like Epic and Microsoft have with Gears of War. It says nothing about ownership of the IP, partial ownership of the studio, or the length or amount of games involved of the relationship. All it means is "third party developed, first party published."

And in most discussions on web forums, where people are throwing out long lists of games, 98% of the time the important factor is whether or not the console-maker has secured exclusive rights to the game. The only way a console-maker can do that (barring basically illegal policies like SNES-era Nintendo) is by securing a publishing contract. If a console-maker is publishing it, there is no chance its going to another console.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I think Rare was a real "second party" company as long as they worked together with Nintendo, because Nintendo did not own them (just 49 % of them) but they produced exclusive content for Nintendo consoles.

A second party studio I can think of at the moment is Camelot, as far as I know Nintendo does not own them but they are only producing for Nintendo (and for PC I think, but that doesn't count) and they are doing this already for a couple of years.

But now at topic: Does anyone know about Free Radical? I see that they are not on the list and I think they are not part of a bigger publisher, so it means they are not developping for the wii?

This would be sad, I somehow see the new Rare in them, some former members of Rare are working for them and they made great stuff, for example the Time Splitters Series.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

nintendo_fanboy said:

I think Rare was a real "second party" company as long as they worked together with Nintendo, because Nintendo did not own them (just 49 % of them) but they produced exclusive content for Nintendo consoles.

A second party studio I can think of at the moment is Camelot, as far as I know Nintendo does not own them but they are only producing for Nintendo (and for PC I think, but that doesn't count) and they are doing this already for a couple of years.

But now at topic: Does anyone know about Free Radical? I see that they are not on the list and I think they are not part of a bigger publisher, so it means they are not developping for the wii?

This would be sad, I somehow see the new Rare in them, some former members of Rare are working for them and they made great stuff, for example the Time Splitters Series.

Timesplitters and Second Sight were both very good games and I think they're under rated as a developer ... The unfortunate thing is I don't think anyone knows what they're working on at the moment.