By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I tried the new Xbox One Controller! (Update - it did have batteries!)

Quartz said:
Is there a mouse/keyboard option for all these FPS coming out? :). I'm teasing, sizing and weight i'd imagine are similar with a few design tweaks. Why change something that already works?

I haven't heard anything about a mouse/keyboard for it.  I know the new headset goes where the old chatpad was. 

"Why change something that already works?"

The biggest change is moving the 'guide' button up and changing the LED to white and the flush batter compartment.  They really didn't change much, just tweeked some things, made it run better, and added the extra trigger rumble. 

It feels very familiar to the current X360 one.  I think you will be happy with it, but let me know when you get to try.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Looks like it will be the perfect controller. I'm playing The Last of Us on PS3 and man the DS3 is a terrible controller. After holding down R2 for more than 10 seconds while running my finger starts slipping. Same with the sticks. PS4 controller looks like it finally improved. Xbox One day one, PS4 year 4? No probably a little sooner than that.

Sometimes I feel like the only one that is really happy about this.  I have nice set of rechargeable AA batters (they go in everything, cordless mouse, remote, safety LED lights, Wiimotes, etc.) so I always have a few recharged and they are easy to replace.

Controlling running low?  Easy, swap them out, and put in a fresh pair.  Old pair goes into charger.  Continue gaming.

No funky USB cords to connect, to mess, easy peezy.

I actually really like that they did that.

AGREE 110%.  The only thing they need to fix is batterys getting loose and the controller disconnecting.  The batteries should fit into the controller itself, not a holster that then fits into the controller.  Did they change that????

Griffin said:

Is there more grip on the analog sticks compared to the 360? Like the PS3 has the rough feel to the entire stick to give more grip while the 360 one is smooth is this changed?

How rough is the side of the top of the stick, is their more grip then the middle of the stick?

Did you notice if the sticks have more movement space, like further space from the middle of the stick to the hard plastic? 

Do the sticks rest higher or lower then the 360, or no noticable difference?

Is their an option to disable the old rumble while keeping the new one active?

"more grip on the analog sticks compared to the 360?" 

Yes, it is more like the rubberized and a bit nubby/more texture.  It felt good.  It reminded me of those 'professional game sticks' that people add 3rd party.

More grip on the side. It felt a bit like it was made from the same stuff as the big ‘lego tires’ if you are familiar with those.

"Did you notice if the sticks have more movement space, like further space from the middle of the stick to the hard plastic? "

I didn't notice any change in how far they moved.  I did notice you used a little less force than the current X360 controller.

"Do the sticks rest higher or lower then the 360, or no noticeable difference?"

I didn't notice any change.

"Is their an option to disable the old rumble while keeping the new one active?"

I would assume so, just like it is in the current system in the ‘system settings.’.  Now wither you have to turn off all rumble, or main vs trigger.

We were playing on a PC demo, not an actually Xbox One.  They did have a One on display.  It was around the same size as the Atari 2600, the new Kinect is about the same dimensions as the current, but it is much bulkier. I also understand it does not tilt back and forth.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

g911turbo said:

Sometimes I feel like the only one that is really happy about this.  I have nice set of rechargeable AA batters (they go in everything, cordless mouse, remote, safety LED lights, Wiimotes, etc.) so I always have a few recharged and they are easy to replace.

Controlling running low?  Easy, swap them out, and put in a fresh pair.  Old pair goes into charger.  Continue gaming.

AGREE 110%.  The only thing they need to fix is batterys getting loose and the controller disconnecting.  The batteries should fit into the controller itself, not a holster that then fits into the controller.  Did they change that????

Thanks for agreeing!  It’s so easy, and the same ones go in so many things.  Plus rechargeables do wear out, and I don’t have to throw it away and buy a new controller if it can’t hold charge anymore.  Just pop in a new set of batteries.

Yes, the batteries are now all the way inside the controller. I attached some pictures.  The whole 'underside' is smooth in the middle.  It is where the batteries now store.  I find the only time they ever get disconnect is if I drop it hard.  But I didn't get an Xbox 360 until 2010, not sure if age effects that.

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
g911turbo said:

Thanks for agreeing!  It’s so easy, and the same ones go in so many things.  Plus rechargeables do wear out, and I don’t have to throw it away and buy a new controller if it can’t hold charge anymore.  Just pop in a new set of batteries.

Yes, the batteries are now all the way inside the controller. I attached some pictures.  The whole 'underside' is smooth in the middle.  It is where the batteries now store.  I find the only time they ever get disconnect is if I drop it hard.  But I didn't get an Xbox 360 until 2010, not sure if age effects that.

Looks nice!  I can actually buy an Xbox One along with the PS4 now that they dropped some of the DRM bs.  Looking forward to playing.

Ugh, why did they have to make it smaller? I like a little meat on my controllers. Not too much like the S controller for the original Xbox, but the 360 was just right. It absolutely did not need to get any smaller/lighter.

Oh well, its still be better than the PS4 controller.

wilco said:

Ugh, why did they have to make it smaller? I like a little meat on my controllers. Not too much like the S controller for the original Xbox, but the 360 was just right. It absolutely did not need to get any smaller/lighter.

Oh well, its still be better than the PS4 controller.

Hmm looking at the pics it appears to be about the same size to me where it counts.  Maybe they just trimmed some of the fat in non-necessary spots?

I agree though, the dual shock is a bit small for my tastes, but after playing the last of us for the past 10+ hours I realized i could probably get used to just about anything if I had to.

Still prefer the Xbox controllers though.

Zappykins said:
badgenome said:
Does the new controller spy on you?

I talked to the head of programming, and he said only if you are suffering from trollism - which it detects by going into the "E Space" quantum leap exploration through a double TARDIS Doppler core - it will give you a mild electric shock at first – that can escalate using the anti-matter feed back of the crosses streams parallelism.  It will eventually, through the Perovskite feed back loupe form a whine intense tachyon.  It is fed by more one hates and it can expand so that the full asymmetrical ferric core, and the person holding the controller, is eventually sucked out of this reality, if the negativity is powerful enough, and left stranded in the phantom zone.

But, even trolls can set the privacy settings to the level they want - the setting are really flexible.  So anyone could set he levels of security that allow them peaceful sleep.

I guess the lesson here is: So the lesson is don’t be a troll!  I think we all learned something today.

Ha ha ha, that was fucking awesome Zappy!

Thanks for sharing the other details too, the controller sounds just about perfect. And you are not alone in enjoying the flexibility of good rechargeable batts.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Still can't believe they continued the AA battery pack plus extra accessory BS.

This alone should prove that MS will do anything to increase its revenue and F the consumer.