By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread

Anyone from Europe that plays online here? I'm lacking people to play with ^^ and it lags little to much with US.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Around the Network

EVO dropping brawl surprised me none. They wouldn't listen to the community for our rule sets. They used their own, and the turn out was horrible. What did they honestly expect?

My Creations in Modnation Racers! Check zhem!
http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/IvoYaridovich/creations

What EVO and where have you been ivo i miss our penguin!

Smash ID: Jski - 0559-6620-9873

Add me if you wish but PM me if you do.

Yeah but after the backlash, the EVO staff seemed willing to work with us on the EVO 2009. A lot of people thought that 09 would be the year of Brawl's first real national tournament.

Some of the community believes they took Smash out due to time constraints. Of course a louder and more populace view is that they are just screwing over the smash community. I guess they hate smash more than they love money. We could have easily given them 300+.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

metalmonstar said:
Yeah but after the backlash, the EVO staff seemed willing to work with us on the EVO 2009. A lot of people thought that 09 would be the year of Brawl's first real national tournament.

Some of the community believes they took Smash out due to time constraints. Of course a louder and more populace view is that they are just screwing over the smash community. I guess they hate smash more than they love money. We could have easily given them 300+.

Well, the turth is the Smash community is stuborn and stupid (not a good combination). When the EVO dirrector asked for evidence that items were bad in tournamant play, and everyone laughed at him. Smash has shown little respect for EVO. He asked for tournement evidence, but everyone gave evidence they did in their basement. In a vacumm, a feather falls at the same speed as a bowling ball does. In the real world, the feather floats down slowly. How good is evidence in a controlled enviornment?

Around the Network

Yeah the Smash scene is pretty stubborn, but I think several pro players tried to discuss with evo calmly about why items and some of the stages were a bad idea. There was even a tournament that tried out items. Several tournaments tested the ruleset. One of the item tournaments had Forward show up. A lot of different things were tried before EVO.

Also EVO stated that the ruleset was up for discussion, but as things progressed they made it clear they were unwilling to work with us. I think that is what frustrated players like Overswarm the most.

Then a few weeks after EVO when they got only 150 people for Brawl with only a handful of them even being pros, a couple staff members stopped by and asked how we did things and seemed excited to present our ruleset for next year. I think for the most part all was forgiven from there.

It is just disappointing to the Smash community to not have an National tournament this year.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

ree,metalmonstar said:
Yeah the Smash scene is pretty stubborn, but I think several pro players tried to discuss with evo calmly about why items and some of the stages were a bad idea. There was even a tournament that tried out items. Several tournaments tested the ruleset. One of the item tournaments had Forward show up. A lot of different things were tried before EVO.

Also EVO stated that the ruleset was up for discussion, but as things progressed they made it clear they were unwilling to work with us. I think that is what frustrated players like Overswarm the most.

Then a few weeks after EVO when they got only 150 people for Brawl with only a handful of them even being pros, a couple staff members stopped by and asked how we did things and seemed excited to present our ruleset for next year. I think for the most part all was forgiven from there.

It is just disappointing to the Smash community to not have an National tournament this year.

I would disagree. They did not see the other side's view, only their own.

I know they did not test in tournements and only did their situational test they usually do. With no tournament data, they had to go with their best judgement. Additionally, the Smash Community did not aknowledge that this was a new game and must be tested. Melee had items in tournaments for the longest time. Saying items are bad did not cut it.

metalmonstar said:

ive been apart of the smash communty since 2003(been playing the game since 1999) and im here to tell you that EVO doesnt really like smash. Its not looked at as a fighting game(and it isnt, its just WE made it a fighting game) so the support is not there for it. Its been to EVO a few times and each time is was a massive success(evo 2006 anyone?). EVO 2008 was a joke, items? Not to mention a ABSOLUTE garbage player (CPU, a rob main) won due to the rule set(items).

Smash has always been hated on because it doesnt fit the traditional "fighter" shell. And smash always gets shafted. People blame the smash community for being XYZ or ABC......wrong. we want the game to be as competitive as possible with out being retarded(items and stupid stages).

Im not made that evo 2009 didn support us, its thier loss. Smash has MASSIVE events(bigger than evo at times[Axis]) that happen all the time. Clash of the titans 4/ World Hobo/Genisis......and MLG(yes its going to happen).

PS: to set things straight. smash DID NOT have items as a standard for a long time. i wanna say the first year of smash was with items. the other 6 years were majority NO ITEMS.

I don't see how someone could make a point that items are good for competitive play. They spawn randomly across the stage and some of them can drastically change the tide of a match. If a Pokeball appears right next to you, it doesn't matter if the other player is better than you, you'll grab it first and depending on what comes out you'll get free hits and/or a kill.

Signature goes here!

People complain CONSTANTLY about CPU winning (although I beleive it's becuase Ken didn't win).

If you watch the final matches, you'll see why CPU won. Ken could not use the items to save his life. CPU used them much better and to a greater extent. Marth has a OHKO FS, and CPU dodges it almost every time. He also managed to get the Smash Ball almost every time.

CPU won with the ruleset. Tourneyfags say this is a bad thing, but he won because he had a skill Ken did not. But thourneyfags could never admit that.........