By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Super Smash Bros. Brawl Thread

@WoW

I'm trying to play a fighting game, not one of Nintendo's casual party games. This game requires very little skill in the first place. Stages that bring randomness takes away from the skill that is invovled. Why not play with items if you like that kinda play?

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:
@WoW

I'm trying to play a fighting game, not one of Nintendo's casual party games. This game requires very little skill in the first place. Stages that bring randomness takes away from the skill that is invovled. Why not play with items if you like that kinda play?

Using the stages to your advantage is part of being skilled.  It's okay though, my Kirby will continue to cheerfully wave at your Marth every time he throws you off Skyworld.  ^_^

@wow

That's one of the reasons I don't like playing Marth against you -- you purposely pick stages like that just to get an easy win against him. Sky World delays attacks. Marth is slowed down so much that he becomes crap on that stage. Plus, you can't recover on that stage unless you can fly.

When you pick Kirby on that stage, you usually win the Brawl while barely losing a single stock. Anyone can win like that. I don't understand why you do that but then get pissed at people for picking delfino plaza against you. There are some characters in this game that have NO chance against a Kirby on Sky World no matter how skilled the player is. That's why neutral stages and tame counter picks are better.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Banned stages aren't banned just because of hazards. They offer unfair advantages or naturally stall the match and those are also reasons for bans. Skyworld is banned due to platforms losing edges to grab, platforms delaying certain attack animations, and the cave of life effect. Being able to be spiked through a platform is also a reason its banned. Spear Pillar is banned, because Cresselia KOs easier then people, Slow-Mo stalls the match, reverse controls can gimp someone mid recovery if they aren't planning for it, Dialga can KO unexpectedly. Nothing about the lasers. Cave of life effect their as well, which again, stalls the match. Temple, Cave of life, stalls match, and the typical stygma with giant stages being horrid camera zooms. 75M, bad platform design, walk off edges, giant size leads to bad camera angles. New Pork, cave of life, OHKO hazard (even if its not hard to miss), camera zooms out to show exactly where the hazard is leading to crap visibility. Wario Ware, invinicibility reward, can gimp characters recovering during the stage change, minigames can KO. Mario Bros. Absolute crap stage design, Sakurai said it breaks the rules himself. Mushroomy Kingdom, stage 1 Walk off edges, exploitable walls, no ledges in pits, ceiling too low (Mario Up Smash KOes at 67%). Mushroomy 2, same story except now its a massive cave of life.

I can give reasons why every banned stage is banned and its not always due to hazards. Using the stage to your advantage is good, but some stages have too much to take advantage of, making them broken, unfair, and thus banned.

Using the stage to your advantage is a rudimentary skill. It doesn't take any skill at all besides walking to take advantage of a Cave of Life effect or a wall. Everyone does it naturally whether they mean to or not. My 10 year old nephew does it, just to prove a point. My nephew has infinited me against a wall before. This is the same nephew, that can do Meta Knights cape for 30 seconds at a time. This is the same nephew, that doesn't know Up-B can be used to recover.

My Creations in Modnation Racers! Check zhem!
http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/IvoYaridovich/creations

I understand the banning of stages for competitive play/tournaments but when I'm playing online just to have fun and/or train I don't really mind if the stage puts me at a disadvantage.

I never actually chose my stage according to my character in friendlies, which sometimes led to pretty bad choices (i.e. Ice Climbers on Jungles Japes) but it's no big deal, it's still fun to play.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Riot Of The Blood said:
@wow

That's one of the reasons I don't like playing Marth against you -- you purposely pick stages like that just to get an easy win against him. Sky World delays attacks. Marth is slowed down so much that he becomes crap on that stage. Plus, you can't recover on that stage unless you can fly.

When you pick Kirby on that stage, you usually win the Brawl while barely losing a single stock. Anyone can win like that. I don't understand why you do that but then get pissed at people for picking delfino plaza against you. There are some characters in this game that have NO chance against a Kirby on Sky World no matter how skilled the player is. That's why neutral stages and tame counter picks are better.

What does that mean?  I don't pick the same stage multiple times in a row and unless you're Brawling for 30 or so matches you're unlikely to see the same stage again at all unless you pick it.  There are some stages/characters I tend to pick more often in pairs like Kirby/Skyworld and Squirtle/75m, but that's about it.

I also get unhappy with Delphino Plaza because I can never seem to win on that stage ever.  The stage doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to but I still can't seem to win on it.  It's very odd.

Sorry Riot for not letting you in, but Im doing AiB matches

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life´s problems

SSBB Event Match Records!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUd0Q6nejQ <-- Me beating Through the fire and flames on expert!

Brawl FC: 2750-6853-5077

Currently Ranked  #3 on the smash bros league.

http://nsider2.com/forums/signature/ssbb/img/WaSuMaRa.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

http://thebrawl.net/signaturegenerator/metaknight/WaSuMaRa/5370-0082-7840/donkeykong/link/image.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

Riot you can now join in if you want, room is up. Or anyone who wanna join is welcome too

Beer: The cause of, and solution to, all of life´s problems

SSBB Event Match Records!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUd0Q6nejQ <-- Me beating Through the fire and flames on expert!

Brawl FC: 2750-6853-5077

Currently Ranked  #3 on the smash bros league.

http://nsider2.com/forums/signature/ssbb/img/WaSuMaRa.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

http://thebrawl.net/signaturegenerator/metaknight/WaSuMaRa/5370-0082-7840/donkeykong/link/image.jpg%5B/img%5D%5B/url%5D">

Anyone up for some games?

god damn it, everyone is doing AIB.

I need to practice with my Marth.