By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The FACT or FICTION game

Say either FACT or FICTION to the following statements and then provide a brief explanation (i.e. 4 or 5 sentences at most).

1. Wii sales will sell more than DS when all is said and done.

2. PS3 Will never overtake the Xbox360 in America

3. The next console generation will arrive during the holiday season of 2011, exactly 5 years after the launch of Wii and PS3

4. All next generation consoles will feature Wii-like motion controllers

5. The PS2 will still sell into 2010 

6. Wii/Xbox360 games will soon have to feature multiple discs or have compressed audio/video because of Standard DVD storage constraints

7. MGS4 lifetime sales will not overtake the lifetime sales of the original MGS or MGS2.

8.  The 2008 Holiday Season will define a console's place in the console wars this generation. All system and game sales will peak in 2008.

9. The Xbox 360 will have a Blu Ray add on before this generation is over.

10.  The only thing hindering PS3 sales is its price. If it was the same price as Wii, it would be #1.

Around the Network

7. Fiction. MGS4 will overtake the lifetime sales of MGS 1 and 2. MGS4 is going to be the game that defines a generation. If you can honestly watch the demonstration that Kojima gave last year, and not get chills as to how good the game looked, how well it played, and how polished it was a year before it's release, you must just hate all Metal Gear games. The game looks and plays great, has an immense amount of polish, and will push systems, as well as actual games alike. I believe that it can do seven million lifetime, it is just going to need really good advertising.

4.Fact. Motion controls are the future of videogames.

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!

1fact.2don't know too close probaly a fact 3 can't predict but most likely 4fact5fiction6fiction7fiction8fiction9fiction10fiction

1-4 fact 5-10 fiction

Around the Network

1. False

2. Not sure

3. False

4. False

5. False (or barely, for that matter)

6. False

7. True, but not too sure

8. Not a matter of true or false, just a matter of perspective

9. Wouldn't surprise me, I'd have to say true

10. False

I will elleborate, laytah

I'll do my own:

1. Wii sales will sell more than DS when all is said and done.

I say FICTION, since the DS is in a two dog race (DS and PSP) and there is less competition. Plus its cheaper and more portable and stands to have a longer life than the Wii. DS was released in 2004-- its been almost 4 years now and its still going strong...

2. PS3 Will never overtake the Xbox360 in America

FACT. Xbox has too big of a lead and even if the PS3 outsold Xbox week to week, the generation will be over before they can catch up

3. The next console generation will arrive during the holiday season of 2011, exactly 5 years after the launch of Wii and PS3

FACT for this one as well. I predict the Xbox361 to come out before the competition again, and Sony will try to linger for another year before it launches. Nintendo will still see Sony as its main competition, and will release the Wiii (with 3 i's) before or simulataneously with Sony's system. The Wii will continue to linger as does the PS2 continues to linger today.

FACT, but I think Sony and Microsoft systems won't have superior motion controllers. Nintendo was smart enough to apply for patents, and Sony, MS will have to try to work around them.

5. The PS2 will still sell into 2010

FACT. Games like Singstar, Guitar Hero, and DDR are still wildly popular around the world and thus games will continue to be released as long as people buy them. Such games aren't processor intensive so they look perfectly fine on a PS2.

6. Wii/Xbox360 games will soon have to feature multiple discs or have compressed audio/video because of Standard DVD storage constraints

FICTION. More games use in-game cutscenes now anyways and unless you have a fully orchestrated soundtrack for 40 hours of gameplay, I don't see space as an issue.

7. MGS4 lifetime sales will not overtake the lifetime sales of the original MGS or MGS2.

FACT. MGS/MGS2 did 5.9 (lets round to 6 million) in sales. Storyline wise, I think MGS2 and MGS3 left a bad taste in many MGS fans mouths (especially MGS2. BLAH). At best, I think it matches original MGS, and at worst, it breaks 2 million (which is still phenomenal). As long as they don't do anything stupid and sell it for 100 dollars or something, its a guaranteed million seller.

8. The 2008 Holiday Season will define a console's place in the console wars this generation. All system and game sales will peak in 2008.

TRUE. Most of the big games will have been released for all systems (there should be no excuse to not have a big game after 2 years) and I don't expect to see big swings in momentum after that time. Sales should flatten out and be steady and marketshares shouldn't fluxuate so much. 2009 will still be a big year, but I suspect people holding off in 2010 as they await the NEXT generation.

9. The Xbox 360 will have a Blu Ray add on before this generation is over.

True. MS is SKU happy and it will probably do the "PRO PREMIUM EDITION PLATINUM ELITE BLU RAY PACK" for like 600 dollars or something and will have blu ray built in.

10. The only thing hindering PS3 sales is its price. If it was the same price as Wii, it would be #1.

FACT. I think the Wii and the PS3 would be in a dogfight for #1; with PS3 slightly ahead. Of course the main loser would be MS, unless they had a 250 dollar system too.

I actually think 10 would be a matter of who can make the console faster, also sony would have lost half of there entire income if it sold the ps3 at $249.99 and at wii like sales..

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

2. Fact

3. Fiction

4. Fiction

5. Fact

6. Fiction

7. Fact

8. Fiction

9. Fiction

10. Fiction

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

That Guy said:

FACT, but I think Sony and Microsoft systems won't have superior motion controllers. Nintendo was smart enough to apply for patents, and Sony, MS will have to try to work around them.

I think you'll find that the patents Nintendo holds on the wiimote are just for the overall design, not the motion sensing technologies. I'm pretty sure none of the actual technology was developed by Nintendo as it's essentially just an infra-red camera and 3 accelorometers. These things are already used in other devices, so there is no reason why MS or Sony couldn't make motion controllers as good or better than Nintendo.

I think the answer to this one is FICTION anyway. Motion sensing may be incorporated in all next gen controllers in one way or another (all three companies have already dabbled), but they will not be anything like the wiimote, and they will certainly not take the place of the "classic" controller design. That has yet to be improved upon (although mouse and keyboard may trump it for many games).

I actually think Sony may include the next gen eyetoy as standard with the PS4, and achieve motion control via that route. They may even have 2 eyetoys to achieve motion control in 3D. That would be a lot more impressive than what we see now with the wiimote.