By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Now requires PS+ for MULTIPLAYER!

Are you jumping out because of the loss of free multiplayer?

Yes 191 17.83%

No 708 66.11%

See Results 172 16.06%

Total:1,071

Loss of free multiplayer? Not on my Wii U or PC... Feel sorry for you kids. You're going to back something that is completely anti consumer and are all for it simple because of the Sony name but you've been calling Live a rip off for years...

AS I said previously. Sony fans are against anything til its on their console. NOw paying to play is a good thing.....

PS4 doesn't have DRM? SO I can play those games on my PC and make copies of them for my friends? Oh you cant do that. SO it does actually have DRM as all consoles are a form of DRM

Around the Network

I don't mind the fee to play online. This is the perfect excuse to get plus.

I already have a PS+. But the major problem I have with this is if other accounts in my ps4 will be able do play online too. My brother have a UK acc while I has a USA one. This thing would be gamebreaking for us if only me can play online and earn trophies for my acc.

PS4 is gettin cross game chat, cloud stuff, and a fair price point thanks (in some part I would imagine) to this so I am not complaining. As an ex-Xbox 360 player (the double "x" sounds weird now that I think about it ...), I don't mind this so much as it is just a very small fee that equals out to a few dollars per month. If you don't like the free games it gives, you can surely make back most of your $50 through discounts so this is really a minor issue.

Yeah, it would be great if it was still free, but I just can't be mad at Sony right now after that killer e3 conference.

Well, this is Sony we're talking about, so it doesn't matter.

Around the Network

I see Sony is getting a free pass again. That is why they will have DRM this gen or next.
The console reveal must have been really poor because Sony fans are focusing on Nintendo and MS in attack mode rather than Sony in support mode.

Was there really nothing of interest shown for PS4?
Oh you guys might want to look into this thing called "Karma" because everything you spent the past 6 years trashing MS over now applies to Sony.

ListerOfSmeg said:
Loss of free multiplayer? Not on my Wii U or PC... Feel sorry for you kids. You're going to back something that is completely anti consumer and are all for it simple because of the Sony name but you've been calling Live a rip off for years...

AS I said previously. Sony fans are against anything til its on their console. NOw paying to play is a good thing.....

PS4 doesn't have DRM? SO I can play those games on my PC and make copies of them for my friends? Oh you cant do that. SO it does actually have DRM as all consoles are a form of DRM

Objection: the minority of Sony fans are not in favor of this.

There are those with their heads in the clouds and/or up their assess who will insist this is a good thing, but most of the intelligent comments I've been reading, at least on VGC, go more along the lines of "while I'm already a PSN+ subscriber, I'm not in favor of this new policy." 

Second: unless PSN and PSN+ changes drastically, PSN+ gives a lot to consumers to make it a value. Instant library, new games each month, discounts, bonus items, etc. By contrast, XBL basic takes away just about everything, including the user's ability to access their other subscription services like Hulu Plus or Netflix. Not really a big deal, but without paid XBLG, the Xbox platform becomes really limited in functionality.

Lastly, making copies of your games and distributing them to your friends is piracy. No company that actually has to worry about generating enough revenue to stay in the game long enough to produce their next title is in favor of this. People who believe otherwise are the very reason why many developers shifted their efforts from PC development to console development. 

You can LOAN your legally purchased copy of your game, used or new, to any friend on the PS4 the way it's always been on consoles. Apparently, this is supposed to be some sort of privilege on the XB1 when it's even possible. 

Dgc1808 said:
Ji99saw said:
This is great and I told everyone this would happen. The meltdowns/hypocrisy in this thread is Oscar award winning

I'm really confused as to what some of you people are reading. Most PS fans in this thread are stating they aren't happy about this and that it sucks. It just so happens that it's not out right "Pay for online or no" like it has been for the xbox which cushions the blow. Online play is tied to a service that many of us are already paying for and literally pays off itself. For most people it pays off itself in the first month in free-games alone. 

He's reading the justification of paying to play online. When at 1st they were totally against paying to play multiplayer. Now it's a lot of value posts. Which is subjective

The alternative is to buy XboxOne where XBL subscription is MANDATORY to play games offline or online. It regresses into a bluray player if it doesn't connect once every 24 hours to XBL.

PSN+ is still optional and you can still use netflix and other apps. Only online MP is the restriction.

There are 2 ways I look at this. First of all, I am upset because we are paying mainly to use our own bandwidth. The lack of dedicated servers (or way too few) in comparisson to the PC ecosystem doesn't justify paying extra for online. The second way I look at it is, well I am already a PSN + member until mid 2014, therefore it doesn't necessarily affect me that bad, but it is more of a matter of principal. With that being said, the used games policy in place KINDA offsets that when compared to M$ (KINDA being the key word). Doesn't make it right, but if I somehow see perhaps a heavier influx in dedicated servers for their games as opposed to the match making bu%*%$)$*%it we deal with on consoles, then it will perhaps make things better. We will see how this plays out.

Make games, not war (that goes for ridiculous fanboys)

I may be the next Maelstorm or not, you be the judge http://videogamesgrow.blogspot.com/  hopefully I can be more of an asset than a fanboy to VGC hehe.