By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to Clean Japanese Wiis Over Smash Bros. Errors

so a full DVD is like 4.7Gb. dual layer capacity is apparently 8.5Gb. which is quite a bit.

so the Wii DVD reader supports dual layer reading. or is it just a standard DVD reader but with firmware upgrade?

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
From the article:
"This is something that the masses are apparently incapable of doing, so the Nintendo has decided to clean Wii units that are sent to them, free of charge."

Well most may not know that you can buy a diode cleaner. It's not as though that's common knowledge. You heard about VHS head cleaners more often then you do about diode cleaners.

I would not think a normal DVD diode cleaner would be compatible [Wii discs not being strictly DVDs] But I imagine Nintendo could make a special one that does work with the Wii, in fact that's what they may do when you send it in rather than have to open it up.

Seems like a really smart way to beat all the modders. Send in your Wii, let us examine your system for modding... and we'll go from there.

Seems a *bit* suss that lasers are perfect at reading single layer discs - but not so much for dual-layer discs. Probably more likely that its just stressing out the read/alignment mechanisms more than normal (i.e. more seeking).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

takkxyz said:
Apparently SSBB is the first game that use dual-layered DVDs

wow!how much data is that?

wiiforever said:
takkxyz said:
Apparently SSBB is the first game that use dual-layered DVDs

wow!how much data is that?

7-8.5GB, depending on if the last 1.5GB is formatted, the way 360 discs are. A dual layer can theoretically go up to 9.4, but DVD read standards don't allow that (HD-DVD and blu-ray have gotten around that, to use their full layers). 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Holy crap this game must be huge!

100% Coritiba Foot Ball Club!