By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The concept of "used games" doesn't exist : it is consumer manipulation BS

When you buy something you think that

What I buy, I own and wha... 206 95.81%

What I buy, I own but I h... 3 1.40%

What I buy, I don't own,... 6 2.79%

Total:215

If publishers don't understand the difference between selling us something and renting us something, that is their own problem.

If I am sold something, even for limited/personal use, I still have the right it resell it to someone else who will also own it for limited/personal use.

Around the Network

The TOS that comes with every game we buy would suggest otherwise, unfortunately. And it will only get worse as we move towards digital. We can only hope prices shift dramatically like the PC market did when they went through this.

J_Allard said:
The TOS that comes with every game we buy would suggest otherwise, unfortunately. And it will only get worse as we move towards digital. We can only hope prices shift dramatically like the PC market did when they went through this.

I don't give a tosh about their TOS. I know the difference between selling and renting.
The PC market is not what what you would call solid, big, cohesive, strong or really capable of having a say. On the other hand the console market is basically what fuels the gaming industry. So if publishers want to try their strengths with drm crap...

LOL PC market is more than solid but either way not trying to say it would influence the console market or anything just saying it went through all of this that console gamers are going through and it came out fine. As we go more and more into digital and everyone gets better Internet it's just going to get more and more strict.

J_Allard said:
LOL PC market is more than solid but either way not trying to say it would influence the console market or anything just saying it went through all of this...

Let me stop you here. The PC market went through death.

Outside mmos -in the general sense- almost nothing big is really developed with the PC in mind. Realistically the PC market is nothing more that the bargain bin for console ports. It could do numbers once in a blue moon but it is not dependable, thusly it cannot sway the will of the publishers. It's not Batman.

Around the Network
zarx said:

You don't own any game, if you "buy" it you own the physical media and a license to use it. The game it's self is covered by copyright law, which is a complex quagmire and your rights vary wildly depending on where you live.

^this. I like how people don't understand a single thing about that and keep talking. Like you OWN the data when you buy a disc lol, it's never been like that. You should have stepped up against big companies like Microsoft, Adobe, etc. when they started that stuff with software but nobody did. So blame it on yourselves.

Same goes for cloud processing. People don't understand how it works and that it actually only is a bonus to what is already available but keep talking crap.

zarx said:

You don't own any game, if you "buy" it you own the physical media and a license to use it. The game it's self is covered by copyright law, which is a complex quagmire and your rights vary wildly depending on where you live.

if you own the license to it then i have the right to do what i want with that license, since i own it

Busted said:

a 16 year old educating the whole world why 150 companies had to shut down without providing an answer to solve the problem and VGC still thinks he is right.
Gotta <3 the internet.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

i remember the days when games were for fun. you went with your old man to toys r us, he would buy you a game and you would just enjoy the game.

now i'm hearing all this stuff and it feels like you are signing a contract every time you buy a game.... with so many limits and restrictions.

they are not games anymore, they are not a form of entertainment. this is just getting silly.

thekitchensink said:
zarx said:

Sure, you own a license to play that game.  Keyword being that you OWN that license, and it is your right to do with it as you please provided you don't make illegal copies.  It is your license, and you can sell it, lend it, give it away, whatever you want, and it's none of EA or Activision's business.

License does NOT mean you own a game. It means you're allowed to use said product...you and you alone. It is an agreement between you and the product manufacturer. 

You own a DVD but it gives you a free digital version licensed to your PC. Its an allowance, not ownership, nothing you buy digital is owned.

If you have a drivers license in the US you are conditionally allowed to drive your car. You must pay your insurance and update your license to make sure you're ahering to state rules in the US. 

Ownership....implies that you have no conditions over what you just bought. You gave your money you have your product and you hold it in your hand, with the power of resale or even to lend it to a friend.

Americans are protected by the first-sale doctrine, which is why stores like Gamestop are untouchable unless games go full digital. Its called the exhaustion rule, when a product has existed past its time in your ownership and you as the legal owner decide to sell it off or even give it away.