By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Latest Kinect sensors allow games to feed off your fear

hard to take this guys seriously when reading this "latest game spawned from the Alien film franchise"

The last Alien game wasn't so great. Be hard to live that one down, regardless who is in charge of the game. The last Alien game, might have ruined the entire franchises reputation.

It's like the Superman 64 game. Superman is pretty no game these days.

Around the Network

I guess most of these so called scary games will end with "Ok, I give up, here's your money back and please stop staring at me with that total disappointment in your eyes"

Anything that can measure frustration and adjust the game before the controller hits the kinect square in the face is a plus though.

Nice food for thought in the last paragraph:
Systems that could detect when you are mentally taxed could also take advantage – pushing in-game transactions such as buying an extra life or better weapons, for example. "Willpower is like a muscle that can be exhausted by any mental activity," says Madigan. "When it's depleted we're more likely to do dumb stuff like make impulse purchases."

I'm sure marketeers are drooling at all the possibilities. Not just in games, looking a bit hungry, pop up the pizza app. Smacking your lips, Pepsi commercial. Detect disgusted look, adjust, pop up Coke commercial. Pleased look found, save to profile.

I wonder how developers would implement this?

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

ironman said:

I am ironmanDX's alt.

Uhh, no you're not... wtf, why would you say that?!? Where have you been? Haven't seen you in forever, if you even remember me!

Kinect 2.0.... Wow, the potential still grows. I'm actually still pretty excited about playing FIFA on it in real-time and honestly, I've never bought a FIFA before that I can remember.

SvennoJ said:

I guess most of these so called scary games will end with "Ok, I give up, here's your money back and please stop staring at me with that total disappointment in your eyes"

Anything that can measure frustration and adjust the game before the controller hits the kinect square in the face is a plus though.

Nice food for thought in the last paragraph:
Systems that could detect when you are mentally taxed could also take advantage – pushing in-game transactions such as buying an extra life or better weapons, for example. "Willpower is like a muscle that can be exhausted by any mental activity," says Madigan. "When it's depleted we're more likely to do dumb stuff like make impulse purchases."

I'm sure marketeers are drooling at all the possibilities. Not just in games, looking a bit hungry, pop up the pizza app. Smacking your lips, Pepsi commercial. Detect disgusted look, adjust, pop up Coke commercial. Pleased look found, save to profile.

Straight to the negatives, will this site ever surprise me again?

Companies have done targeted advertising for ages already. It's nothing new.

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:

ironman said:

I am ironmanDX's alt.

Uhh, no you're not... wtf, why would you say that?!? Where have you been? Haven't seen you in forever, if you even remember me!

Kinect 2.0.... Wow, the potential still grows. I'm actually still pretty excited about playing FIFA on it in real-time and honestly, I've never bought a FIFA before that I can remember.

XD, nice. I've been lurking, just was waiting till the worst of the mod team was purged. Anyway, in all seriousness, Kinect 2.0 really does look like it had potential.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

It sounds cool in theory but will likely never see something tangible.

theprof00 said:

How so?

I don't think it will happen for the first couple of years of the X1's life but eventually, who knows!

Sounds like some interesting ways to use the tech. It probably won't be used in any meaningful way (in core games) but I'm curious to see how this could be implemented into game design.

ironmanDX said:
theprof00 said:

How so?

I don't think it will happen for the first couple of years of the X1's life but eventually, who knows!

I said that same of the wii's vitality sensor when they made up the same speculative scenario on how heart rate could make awesome horror games. Though we never got a chance to test that theory, the idea that a developer could use emotional input to MORE EFFECTIVELY generate terror is pretty farfetched.

All of the solutions to problems asked by the OP already exist. Games are already programmed to make things slightly easier when dying multiple times. Events are already scripted to evoke scares sufficiently, and using cellphones as an example, games are already programmed to deliver Add-on content to resigned players.

The whole nonsense in the intro about "desperately looking for a way out", "heart level rising", "sheen of perspiration"....get real. Nobody plays like that. This is all fantasy written in a way to pique the imagination, yet provide no real substance for a (key word) BETTER solution.